Inheritance of out of state guns

FLHTC

NES Member
My sister in-law’s father is very sick and will soon pass away, he owns several gun in Texas of course these guns are not mass compliant. My sister in–law would like to see that her young sons get these guns when there are of age. Are there any provisions in the law to allow this to happen?

My sister in-law’s father is very sick and will soon pass away, he owns several gun in Texas of course these guns are not mass compliant. My sister in–law would like to see that her young sons get these guns when there are of age. Are there any provisions in the law to allow this to happen?

I may be mistaken, but if she is the executrix of the will and can discharge the property to you legally, you can just bring them into MA and register them on
FA-10s, because you will be able to use the "succession" exemption in federal law to your favor. This is discussed numerous times in here in different places.

Just be aware of AWB issues, though. (like postban mags, etc. )

See Also:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5804

-Mike

Last edited:
Mike is correct. Anything that doesn't meet the requirements of the Mass AWB is off-limits, but everything else can be transferred directly to your sister-in-law by the executor. If she's the executrix, then she simply transfers them to herself. She'll need to get the appropriate license herself and file FA-10s (registration only) for the guns, but no dealer is required and there are no "compliance" issues. When her kids are old enough, they can get their licenses and she can then transfer the guns to them FTF on FA-10s.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom