• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Info request for LTC in Woburn

Personally I fear Woburn will always be a red town. 4 of my relatives served on that force and I personally think it's ingrained in the Dept. that people legally owning guns is a bad thing. When I got my LTC A my father couldn't believe it. He just couldn't understand the need for me to have a large capacity LTC. I was told by him "Just put Target and hunting on your app. it;s all they will give. Why do you need to carry a gun anyways?"

He has since "seen the light" and loves to shoot my toys. But when I got my LTC he was still active. He is also completely ignorant when it comes to the Gun laws in Mass. and I love shocking him showing how 1 magazine could get me sent away for 10 years while another one in better shape is perfectly legal to own (Oh and for trolls I keep any and all post-ban magazines in NH).

I knew the current COP way back in the day and he was a great guy. But I think it's an in-bred mentality in that City and will be for quite awhile. There is one or 2 guys that could and would change it, but they don't play Politics so they'll probably never get promoted past Lt. Hopefully I'm wrong, but don't bet on it.

A friend of mine is trying to get his LTC in Woburn. He was told that he could not get an unrestricted license unless he provides a request from his employer. The catch 22 here is that he is trying to get a security job through one of his army buddies, but the place he is applying to won't hire for the position he wants unless he already has a LTC.

I know another guy who lives in Woburn who was able to get unrestricted a few years ago, but that was because he carried all his life before he moved down here from Maine, and he still had to pull teeth to get it unrestricted.

i live in woburn of course my class a is restricted they told me when i went in to get my license the chief told me he only issues no restrictions to buisness owners im goin back in january to get my restrictions lifted im goin in with a lawyer if that dont work just tell them your gunna open carry

i live in woburn of course my class a is restricted they told me when i went in to get my license the chief told me he only issues no restrictions to buisness owners im goin back in january to get my restrictions lifted im goin in with a lawyer if that dont work just tell them your gunna open carry

If you are serious, I suggest you are in need of a course of the firearms section of MGL.

i already talked to a lawyer he said this would be a cut and dry case as the chief is changing the law

i already talked to a lawyer he said this would be a cut and dry case as the chief is changing the law

What issue or specific case is cut and dry?

Is this attorney saying he is confident he can win an "appeal of restriction" case against a chief with a business owners only policy? If so, he has figured out something that has to date eluded the likes of Keith Langer; Jesse Chohen; Bob Forrest and numerous other attorneys who have dealt with this issue in the courts. Most lawyers experienced in this field will tell you it is cut & dry - but with the courts almost certainly granting significant deference to the chief on the issue of restrictions. I suggest you ask your attorney what his track record is for LTC cases, and how many of those involved obtaining a court order compelling a chief who wanted to issue "target only" to issue "restrictions: none".

As to the second part - chiefs can change policies, but not law. Do you mean the chief is changing policies, or that the chief's current policies are a de-factor change in law? If you read MGL, you will find that the chief is empowered to place any restrictions he "deems appropriate" on the license, so if your attorney can prove the chief did not deem restrictions appropriate to the unwashed masses, you will have a case. Also, note that court precedent states that the courts roles is to determine if the chief's decision is arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion - but NOT to substitute the decision of the court for that of the chief. In other words, the bar you have to meet to beat a restriction in court is VERY high.

It sounds to me like you either have an attorney without a lot of experience in this area, or who wants to "Sell the case" to get his fee. If you talk to one of the "been there/done that" attorneys who handle gun cases on a regular basis, you can expect a very honest assessment of your chances at your first office consult on the case. I question the competence (in the one very specific area of law, not in general) of any MA attorney who states that a LTC restriction case is "cut and dry" - unless he is warning you that you will lose.

And yes, I have read some of the decisions from this sort of case.

When you are dealing with legal issues, you need to use care to use precise and accurate terms to properly communicate information.

Last edited:
im using jesse cohen and i no his track record i no how this town works i no the new chief he is not pro gun but a fair guy

im using jesse cohen and i no his track record i no how this town works i no the new chief he is not pro gun but a fair guy

Do you have an update on your appeal? I also live in Woburn with LTC-A with T&H restrictions and would like to have it changed if possible.

Back
Top Bottom