• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Info on becoming an NRA certified safety instructor

Hi All,

I've seen many posts via search, but there is a lot of scattered info. I'm looking on what steps are needed to become a NRA certified and MSP certified firearms safety instructor? If I was to take the course at Mass Firearms School and get the NRA cert, then send those credentials to the MSP, is that it? Would I have everything at that point to train, say family members and friends, to complete the safety course and apply for LTC?

Pay an NRA counselor for a weekend course. Wait a few weeks for the NRA cert, send a copy and $50 to MSP. Wait two weeks for MSP cert. Train people.

Pay an NRA counselor for a weekend course. Wait a few weeks for the NRA cert, send a copy and $50 to MSP. Wait two weeks for MSP cert. Train people.

It's pretty much just this simple. It ain't rocket science. There are a number of NES members who are highly regarded for their training work. I did my NRA Pistol/Firearm Safety in the Home certification through Scouter Rick, who does a lot of weekend sessions out of Raynham(if that hasn't changed.). I would recommend him. Jon Green is extremely popular as well. I think he teaches through GOAL.

I did the RSO course on line. It was trivial(assuming you know guns and have a shot glass of common sense.)

Thanks for the info guys. Few more questions....where do most of you teach people? Home? Rent a classroom? Any live fire? I belong to MRA in Woburn, could I take people to that range for live fire as part of the course or would you have to split profit with them?

Thanks for the info guys. Few more questions....where do most of you teach people? Home? Rent a classroom? Any live fire? I belong to MRA in Woburn, could I take people to that range for live fire as part of the course or would you have to split profit with them?

As to where you track the informational part, everyone does it differently. I go to the homes of people I know well who want something private, and I do mostly private stuff. You would do well to look through the rules of MRA, or any other range you are a member of to see what they permit in regards to reaching instruction courses.

A lot of this stuff is dependent on the instructor as to how it's done. You need to figure out what works for you.

If you have no facilities to use for live fire, you have to be willing to have a person that has potentially never fired a gun in the real world, getting a gun. Personally, I want to see at least the rudiments of understanding the Three Rules. Today, I had to remind three people at the Trap range to open their actions. [rolleyes]. Seeing them react to the bang and recoil is important, too, IMO.

Many Clubs prohibit members from using the Club's facilities in the manner you suggest. Check your Bylaws, or check with your Board of Directors.

I am part of the Training Team at my Club. It's a good way to get used to the process. Please be advised that the NRA Basic Pistol course, which was one of the most common taught is no longer OK with the MSP, since the NRA changed the format to Blended Learning.

Part of being able to teach, is being familiar with the subject. I have no idea how new you are to The Life, but students have a knack for asking questions that are not part of the official curriculum. Being able to answer such questions as "If it says .357 on the gun, How can I shoot a .38 out of it? Isn't that bigger?" Or, "Why is a .380 different from a .38? Isn't that the same number?" (I've heard both). This is part of the reason that the NRA wants you to be familiar with guns, and shooting, before you go the Instructor route.

Also, you are required by the MSP to "Inform" your students about our State's Gun Laws. If you look around here, you'll see many epic fails on this subject by Instructors.

Not meaning to cool your ardor, but this is the reality.

In addition to the "regular" LTC course, I teach Hunter Ed. Per MGLs, a Hunter Ed course is acceptable for LTC issuance. HE has no live fire component. I implore the students that are not already familiar with guns to find a mentor, before they go into the woods, where I might be.

Keeping the above in mind Scouter Rick here on NES, and Jon Green at GOAL are both excellent Training Counselors.

Last edited:
MisterHappy pretty much covered it.

If you want to actually "LEARN" what and how to teach, take the instructor course with either Jon Green or Scouter-Rick, they are two of the absolute best TCs in the business. My instructor certs are from both of them.

If you just want to "punch a ticket" for cheap (GroupOn) you can go anywhere, but you probably will learn next to nothing and do a disservice to anyone you teach.

For the MA gun laws, most instructors are clueless and teach all sorts of nonsense. MSP doesn't seem to care enough to do anything about it, as long as your $50 check cleared you are an MSP BFS instructor.

Took my course with Scouter-Rick & Len-2A at Mansfield fish and game over the winter...Great Course & great guys!

How do I get in touch with Jon Green or Scouter-Rick?

MisterHappy pretty much covered it.

If you want to actually "LEARN" what and how to teach, take the instructor course with either Jon Green or Scouter-Rick, they are two of the absolute best TCs in the business. My instructor certs are from both of them.

If you just want to "punch a ticket" for cheap (GroupOn) you can go anywhere, but you probably will learn next to nothing and do a disservice to anyone you teach.

For the MA gun laws, most instructors are clueless and teach all sorts of nonsense. MSP doesn't seem to care enough to do anything about it, as long as your $50 check cleared you are an MSP BFS instructor.

Back
Top Bottom