• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Infantry Honor Hill Burns Down

Matt_SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member

The Infantry is a small band of brothers within the Army brotherhood. Their blue cords mean something special to them, and they will readily fight you if you say something negative about them.

Infantry combines your Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training (AIT) into one school called One Station Unit Training (OSUT). Prospective infantrymen don’t go home after eight weeks of basic training; they stay and keep training.

During the final week of OSUT, these Infantry-hopefuls go through a challenging field exercise and many final stages of testing and trials. It’s a long week that requires teamwork and a no-quit attitude.

The final day, which turns into the night, is a long foot march back to the camp. Rather than stopping at their barracks, they make the long walk up the infamous Honor Hill.

The roads leading to Honor Hill are lined by recruits still in training, cheering them on their final feat.

This marks the end of their challenges. It’s not dark yet, and the large wooden doors of Honor Hill are open. They file through the doors under the words,
“FROM THIS GATE EMERGE THE FINEST SOLDIERS THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN; FOLLOW ME”

More at the link.

Sad.

How long has Honor Hill been a thing? I'd never heard of it til now.
I graduated from AIT infantry at Benning in 1990. Don't remember "honor hill". We had the hell week and the final road March but we finished outside the Billits and had a formation where the drill sergeants handed us our blue cords.

I graduated from AIT infantry at Benning in 1990. Don't remember "honor hill". We had the hell week and the final road March but we finished outside the Billits and had a formation where the drill sergeants handed us our blue cords.
Same here, had “misery week” and received the blue cord. Maybe it was under renovations at the time I was there.😬

Typically, all the drill sergeants are out on the ruck march with the recruits, leaving the support soldiers such as supply, etc., to set up and take down Honor Hill. It is rumored on several Facebook groups that they failed to properly put out all the fires at the end of the night, which caused the whole place to go up in flames.
Oops.
Chill, it's a joke son.
[wink][grin]

Last edited:
I did some looking online and can't seem to find much more about "Honor Hill" other than forum type posts with three or four responses to it. Lot's of banter about the ceremony. I can't tell if it is good natured or if this is a ceremony that was controversial.

For the Infantryman here, Thank you.

Does this location look familiar? This is where I have found it to reportedly be. I can't find anything about when it began other than after 1993 and possibly many years later.

Matt

The hits I'm getting online suggest officers go there for their blue cords, too. I finished IOBC in 1998 and I never heard a word about anything called Honor Hill. We got our blue cords at the Shughart-Gordon MOUT Site after our culminating FTX.

Back
Top Bottom