inexpensive trigger options for 10/22?

Yesterday I picked up a 50th Anniversary 10/22 at a gun show. I haven't shot it yet, but I already hate the trigger. Most of the triggers are $200+, and I don't want to spend to spend that much on a $300 gun. Kidd has a $100 kit to upgrade the stock trigger. Any other sub $100 options to improve the trigger?

Sure - simple - nearly free.

Go to RimFireCentral.com and read up
Get some wet/dry sand paper at the local hardware store - grits from 200 to 1000 - POLISH the appropriate surfaces - do not change geometry, just smooth up the required surfaces.

Do not worry about "stoning the sear" Just polish up the surfaces that require it. This will smooth out the over all feel. If you like what you have at that point stop, if not look into some springs but I think you'll be very happy with a smoother trigger.

Some homework, a modest expense in materials and elbow grease can go a long way on those guns.

Good luck

The Volquartsen target hammer made a big difference, when I installed it. Also install a plastic bolt buffer, and auto bolt release (that can actually be done by dremeling out the existing bolt release).

There is the drunk smithing method.
Buy a spare stock 10/22 hammer on Ebay for ~$10.
Watch all the YouTube videos on reshaping polishing the 10/22 hammer notch. Shouldn't have to do anything to the seer.
if you do well you could end up with a neutral trigger with just a few pound pull and a little smooth creep.
If you cut too much ( like I did on my first try) you might end up with more creep and unsafe trigger (like I did on my first try).
At this point you can decide you learned enough from my first mistakes to try again with the spare hammer or give up and install the stock spare hammer and you are back to where you started at a loss of $10.
I tried again on my backup hammer, cut slower, and now have a nice trigger. I'll put a stock hammer back in if I ever sell it.
Perhaps someone can help you (pro or amature) with the one hour of labor to do this if you are uncomfortable.

The Volquartsen target hammer made a big difference, when I installed it. Also install a plastic bolt buffer, and auto bolt release (that can actually be done by dremeling out the existing bolt release).

The VQ target hammer is a huge upgrade. I got mine for about $30 on amazon.

This! probably the best bang for the buck upgrade i did to my 10/22.

I had a couple of Brimstone Gunsmithing's tier 2 trigger jobs done and I am really happy with them, I had experimented with the volquartsen hammers at first which was an improvement over stock. I think I live in your vicinity so if you want to try them out send me a PM.

Put a 'watch' on midwayusa.com or one of the other sites for when the volquartsen kit goes on sale. The target hammer and auto bolt release combo is a huge bargain when it's around $35.

Back
Top Bottom