• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inexpensive .223

I have been picking up 20 rd boxes of Remington UMC for $9.97/box at wal-mart, seems to shoot ok but at $.50/rd is there anything brass cased I can pick up much cheaper that is readily available (read might be in a wal-mart or ordered online)?

I think the lower limit is about $0.40, so no, not "much cheaper," unless you reload.

Walmart used to have Remington bulk packs of 200 for $50, haven't seen them in a while.

It's not too hard to find cases of 1,000 for $400 if you dig around a little.

Prvi Partisan .223 (M193) at $359/1K.

Here, And here

Prvi Partisan .223 (M855) at $425/1K.

Here

Excellent thank you, have you shot the Prvi stuff? How is the accuracy out around 200-300 yards?

I am planning on getting started reloading this winter when I get the money/brass saved up, I figure I need the brass anyway so I might as well buy inexpensive loaded ammunition to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent thank you, have you shot the Prvi stuff? How is the accuracy out around 200-300 yards?

I am planning on getting started reloading this winter when I get the money/brass saved up, I figure I need the brass anyway so I might as well buy inexpensive loaded ammunition to start with.
The Prvi stuff is excellent, both in consistency and accuracy, and it will give you the brass to start your reloading. Good luck.

Fiocchi is good stuff , I've put 400 rds of it thru my AR . No issues at all . So needless to say no complaints here . Talk to Jim at MFL , by the sounds of it he stull has a bunch left.

The steel case 223 at MFL is 25c a round. I find them to be great range ammo and a great deal for the money. Just use a spray of carburetor cleaner in the breach when you clean your rifle to remove the varnish from the steel cases.

PPU Privi is excellent ammo i was surprised it shoots very well thru my Bushmaster. i bought a 200 round plastic pack with small 10 boxes of 20 bullets for 95.00 , i like the 55gr 5.56x45mm FMJBT i havent tried the 62 gr yet.

$175 for the case of 500 rounds.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up stopping by there the other day just to pick up some different targets. Even though I live about 2 minutes from them I can't justify buying at the prices they sell at. I'm quite sure I can get a case of 1000 for less than $300. $350+tax for 1000 rounds of steel cased stuff is just too high.

On another note I agree with a couple of the previous posters that Prvi Partisan is good brass cased ammo for the price. I also remember getting some PMC M193 a while back that worked very well. The price at the time was reasonable but by now it's probably 25% higher.

Last edited:
Time for you guys to reload. I got primers at $18 to $30 a thousand, free 223 brass at the range, and bulk 223 heads. Costs a dime a round. In a couple of hours I can load 500 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom