Indoorpistol range backstop question

bsimardjr

NES Member
One of the clubs that I belong to (Woburn Sportsman in Bedford) is looking into upgrading the indoor range backstop/bullet trap. Currently we have a plate & sand pit trap with a Linatex ballistic curtain in front of it. The sand sucks to clean twice a year. My question is have any of your clubs recently within the past five years changed out your indoor range backstop and what did you go with. Today I met with a gentleman from the Action Target Company to get some information from them. I will be calling Savage & Meggitt Training Systems on Thursday.

Bob

I don't know what material was used, but I know the indoor range in Plymouth Rod and Gun is new within the past two years.

You might want to contact them on the latest best practices/regs, etc.

Contact Savage Arms they are the foremost leader world wide right now in Range Design. They will send a rep out to your location.

2 ranges we shoot against in bullseye league use a cascading water system that seems petty nice. Not sure how it is for maintenance but they seem to work really well.

I don't know what material was used, but I know the indoor range in Plymouth Rod and Gun is new within the past two years.

You might want to contact them on the latest best practices/regs, etc.

Yep, some type of waterfall/metal funnel thing there. Very nice really.

I know instead of sand, our club uses the rubber pellets. Much easier to clean than the sand. As for the rest of the construction...can't help you.

I know instead of sand, our club uses the rubber pellets. Much easier to clean than the sand. As for the rest of the construction...can't help you.

actually, from what I understand(same club), it's a complete pain in the ass to clean, but its not something that has to be done very often. Sand isn't bad, it's just about how much you put down. Our back range is sand and can theoretically take a much larger round then what is allowed to be shot at our club.

actually, from what I understand(same club), it's a complete pain in the ass to clean, but its not something that has to be done very often. Sand isn't bad, it's just about how much you put down. Our back range is sand and can theoretically take a much larger round then what is allowed to be shot at our club.

Interesting, one of the guys there said the sand was worse. Although for getting lead, he likes the sand better.

IIRC, Holbrook has rubber blocks for their backstop. Real thick and apparently capture the bullets. I only know this from seeing it while at a gun show there a year or so ago.

Savage manufactures the waterfall backstop system. The rounds go into a circular chamber until they run out of speed and drop down. The NRA has extensive research and advice on ranges. I believe they sell a thick book on range construction. Also, there are consultants who are certified in range construction. We used one a few years ago at our club in Western Mass. For the money you'll spend replacing the backstop, it's well worth paying for the best advice money can buy.

I did quite a bit of research a couple of years ago and for the money, Action Target has the best system I saw. Not the cheapest, but worth a look.

one of the 3 of us who was there when you came in? :)

Yea, the sand backstop is good for getting lead out of, but the rubber backstop looks better and has other benefits.

Hey, I didn't name names! LOL....However, someone else was commenting on the rubber last summer. I just know your partial to sand for "economical" reasons.

Thanks to everybody for their input. So far I have contacted Meggitt Training Systems & Action Target Inc. I have not contacted Savage about their Snailtrap. I am leaning towards recommending the flatrap by action target as it has the smallest footprint. One of their references was Genesee Outfitters in NY,this is a pay as you go shooting range. The owner could not say anything bad about their product. Praised the backstop and the company very highly. The snailtrap & Meggit's reclining grantrap (rubber pieces) both need about 16 feet of floorspace from the back wall out towards the shooting line. Wecan only spare about 8 feet. I have a call in to the range master for the Dayton, OH police dept. They recently had a flattrap installed. OK back to more research.

Back
Top Bottom