Indoor Steel Plate match @ Hopkinton Wed 2/28/2018 6 PM

Will you be coming?

• F-Yeah! I need to warm up the pistol.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Nah, I just like to sit here and type about shooting.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
No competition experience required! If this is your first time, simply see one of the HSA folks and they will brief you.
Come one, come all. The only requirement is that you are SAFE.

Where:
Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association
95 Lumber St, Hopkinton, MA 01748

Date: Wednesday 2/28/2018

Time: 6:00 PM till everyone is out of money or ammo.

The match: $3.00 per entry; 8 person relays; $6.00 to winner; $3 for second place.

The targets: Five 8 Inch Plates; 2 side by side racks. Man on man. 8 person elimination "pyramid" style.

Equipment: Any safe/serviceable handgun 38/9mm or larger; semi or revolver. Iron sights only. No more than 10 rounds in the gun.

If we have enough interest, we will run an "Open" and/or "Revolver" Division relay so bring out the "Dot" guns and "Wheelies."

Procedure: Muzzle on table, finger off trigger, Buzzer start. First one to knock down their targets advances.
Relay winners get an extra target for all subsequent entries.

Safety: IPSC/USPSA - Safety rules, Firearms in holster or "bagged" No handling of firearms other than on the firing line or the safety area.

Bring lots of ammo. We keep shooting as long as people want to sign up.

More info here. Hopkinton Heavy Hitters

Contact me if you have any other questions. 508-294-0394

Michael.

Dinner at the Dynasty Restaurant after for anyone interested.

A couple of points for clarification.

1. I was asked about use of a SA/DA auto-loading pistol's start. Here is my reply.

Either hammer down or safety on (if possible) in order to avoid "hole in table" syndrome. Not everyone is proficient at lowering the hammer on a live chamber and even then, there is always the risk of an ND.
Example; The standard Beretta 92 would be de-cocked, DA start.
My Taurus 92 does not de-cock but can made ready with hammer cocked and the safety on. Either is acceptable.

2. Who is the smart a$$ that responded #2 in the poll above? [grin]

I will be there with a buddy of mine (who is also on this forum)
Can't wait , my first steel challenge match :)

I will be there with a buddy of mine (who is also on this forum)
Can't wait , my first steel challenge match :)

This is a head to head plate rack match. There are two identical plate racks, in this case each has 6 plates, and two shooters simultaneously attempt to shoot all the plates down on their rack faster than the other. The winner moves ahead in a 8 person relay to determine the relay winner. 10-20 relays happen each match.

Steel Challenge is something quite different.
Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation
To summarize: There are 8 stages in an official match. Each stage has 5 fixed steel plates. The shooter must shoot at and hit each plate once, in any order, other than the 'stop plate' must be hit last, and the time for this is recorded. Most of the stages are 5 separate timed strings, and the 4 best times are kept and added towards a match total, lowest total time wins.

Although I'm afraid the term 'steel challenge' is being used more often to describe any type of event where people shoot at steel.

anyway, come on over to Hopkinton and shoot at sh*t, its fun.

Yeah, about that.
Yup. Our indoor range is a typical 50 footer.
indoor-range

IndoorRange.jpg

We place the shooting tables about 5 feet in font of the drop down benches and the racks at the end, so about 30'.

I've never done at this club, but we run one during the summer at our club and its always a good time. Going against someone else, side by side is pretty fun.

Which club? Been shopping around this past few weeks, curious where everyone else is.

Which club? Been shopping around this past few weeks, curious where everyone else is.
Northampton revolver club

Probably not close enough for you to join.
I'll make sure to post something when we start doing our plate shoots. Might be worth the trip. They are outside. 5 plates on a rack, 4 on stands, 1 pepper shaker.

Trying to get out of work early to make it.
Never done anything like this
We start at 6:00 and usually run until around 8:00 so you don't have to be there right at the start like most matches. We sign up relays pretty much as long as people want to shoot, then we go to dinner! :emoji_stew: Mmmm Hot and Sour.

We start at 6:00 and usually run until around 8:00 so you don't have to be there right at the start like most matches. We sign up relays pretty much as long as people want to shoot, then we go to dinner! :emoji_stew: Mmmm Hot and Sour.
Any particular way you determine match ups? I know we do individual timed runs first and then match accordingly.

Also, I've heard Hopkington is known for their Chinese food. Lol

Any particular way you determine match ups? I know we do individual timed runs first and then match accordingly.

Also, I've heard Hopkington is known for their Chinese food. Lol

Each shooter grabs a chip with a number on it which represents their slot in the bracket.

I was planning to stop in this time, but I'm stuck on a production support issue.

I’m so pissed off I just saw this.
I could have easily been there at 6:25 but I didn’t want to be “that guy”
I’m very pissed. I cleaned the 320 last night and everything. Gah.
Week days are awesome for stuff like that for me and 6pm is great time.

Back
Top Bottom