Indoor Residential Range

So I got some preliminary info doing a search of the forum regarding the above. I understand the venting, lighting and safety aspects of an indoor range, But I'd like to get more info on building the backstop. I'm looking for angles, thicknesses, sand/water? I'd like to shoot .22 thru 9mm....Maybe even 30-06 if possible...

Thoughts?

Based on your sig line, I assume you live in Mass. You might get jammed up with some of the legal crap.

I seem to recall that the guy from Manchester-by-the-Sea got whacked on this because they said he was discharging a firearm within 500' of an occupied dwelling without the owner's permission. He lived in a condo complex.

Are you >500' away from your neighbors and >150' from the road?

As far as range design is concerned, PM Jim Conway. He does this. He might be able to help you out. Keep in mind that he does it for a living, so there may be some cost associated with his advice.

I did some research on this a while back, and the 500-150' rules do not apply to shooting under ground. So, as long as you have a basement with the foundation set in the ground, you are all set.
I'm sure, there will still be issues with the neighbors!

I have no legal issues or neighbors....Just looking for the technical specs on the backstop.

Last edited:
As for the OP question, I wold go for some steel plates on the back wall on a slight downward angle, somewhat overlapping.

\ kinda like this as a side view.
\
\
\
\

It is possible I might know a LEO who shoots in his basement. Well within 150' of road and 500' of other houses. He is very open about it and not someone to flaunt the law or believe LEOs are special. Then again I might not know anything...

Contact the NRA for help on range design. They're the recognized athority on this sort of thing, and were there to be "issues" this will give you legitimacy.

This. They have a huge range design handbook that gives a number of different designs. There are also a number of different commercial backstop vendors (e.g., Action Target, Savage Range Systems, Super Trap, etc.).

That said, think long and hard about the costs of deleading your home when you go to sell it.

My layman's understanding is that being under or above ground has nothing to do with it. You can't shoot across a road or highway (just stupid to think you should) and I think the within 500 ft of a dwelling is just for hunting. That's how I read it. Your millage may vary. Consider that there are public shooting ranges in Mass above ground and in office parks within 500 ft of their neighbors. Now they could be in violation, but I doubt it.

Local ordinances and "officials" are your real problem.

I think the guy shooting in his attic should have been charged with something like reckless endangerment. I don't think he had much of a backstop other than a plate or something.

As for engineering a backstop, ideally you pile up sand and then cover it with rubber flaps or something to keep the dust down. That can take up a lot of space though, hence the metal deflector devices but there's a fine line between a ricochet and a deflected bullet.

Last edited:
It does not have to be below ground.

Basically, the law states that if you are using a range, either outdoor, indoor or below ground, the 500' set-back does not apply.

Chapter 269, section 12E which states:
Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

Now, IANAL and this does not mean that some hot-head cop wont thump his chest and try to jam you up on this. But you should win in court.[wink]

Last edited:
The 500ft rule is not only a Fish & Wildlife Law MGL 131, but MGL 269 sayes you cannot discharge a firearm with 500ft. of "any" building with out permission of the owner or occupant. So there is double coverage.

Joe, read my post... It does not apply if the shooting is taking place on a range.

I will add that there is NO MASS legal definition of a "range" so be ready to show how you built it to NRA or some other "spec."

ETA: Thanks to JGreen for walking me through this a few years ago!

Last edited:
There are some very nice pellet guns out there. Not cheap, but cheaper than building a proper firearm range. Avoids the legal stickiness as well(most of it, anything is possible in MA.)

You are so correct about MasSucKchusetts not having a definition as to a "recognized range". I went round and round about that almost thirty years ago about the possesion of Slugs and Buck shot. I out right said if the guy is in a sand pit I have no issue. My boss went ape shit.

So you agree about the 500' rule too?

What did he think a range was?

Out at camp perry there was a vendor selling portable bullet traps that would be great for this. They were black steel boxes with some sort of self-healing rubber face on them. Different sizes and weights rated at everything from .22LR all the way up to 20mm. One of the smaller ones would be perfect for what you describe. Unfortunately I can't think of the name of the company.

As far as he was concerned the only recognized range, was the one that used to be at Birch Hill WMA, which was eventually closed as the previous district manager was too lazy send crews out there to check on it. Yeah, that was the same one that was involved in burying asbestos at High Ridge WMA.

I'm sorry that you worked for such an idiot.

Dig 80' trench in backyard and install 4' dia cement sewer pipe. Cut bulkhead opening in foundation and you got your range. Install roller setup for targets and have fun. Backstop is the dirt at end of pipe. 2-3 feet of dirt over pipe and nobody will be bothered. Out of sight, out of mind.
Dave

I would assume the local officials would want to give you a hard time with two issues:
1) safety (possibly some local regulaton so that you need to get a specific permit)
2) Handling hazardous waste (lead dust storage, cleaning, and venting to the outside air). And if this is in the basement of where you live, the likeliehood of having trouble just went up X3. They might want an epa/osha approved hazardous waste plan, for instance.

My biggest concern would be all the dust that you'd accumulate.

It's a quick way to turn your home into a superfund site. I'd never buy a home with an indoor range who knows where all the lead goes? I had high blood lead from shooting in a crappy indoor range, if the state goes crazy with lead paint I can't even imagine what would happen with a range.

Stick to air guns and find a nice local club to shoot

Back
Top Bottom