• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Indoor places to shoot in MA

I am going to the Smith and Wesson place next week, so I know of that one...but...

There used to be a place in Worcester, is that still there? Last time I was there maybe 10 years?

Is the place in Manchester still open?

Are there any others I missed?

thanks

Worcester is gone for good. Long story, use Search and you'll find the details.

Manchester Firing Line is better than ever, they are a paid sponsor here. Search for details.

American Firearms School in N. Attleboro. Search for details and reviews here.

Bob's as noted above.

Mass Firearm School new facility in Holliston is just getting their range open. Details are a little sketchy at this point. They have a thread in the training section where they are looking for suggestions for range rental guns.

Bob's is a good spot. Lots of different guns to rent or you can bring your own. they rent guns, ammo, targets and provide you with eyes and ears if you don't have them with you. It's a bit out of the way but a nice drive up route 1. I went there a couple of weeks ago and i had the range practically to myself. staff is friendly and helpful. It does get a bit cold in the range though, i dont mind cause I like the cold but a few of my "skinnier" friends mentioned it over cocktails afterwards.

Why not just join a club that has an indoor range?

Because with a few exceptions, most of the indoor private club ranges in MA have either very strict rules or lots of limitations (eg, nothing above 1000 fps, some are "lead only") or very poor ventilation, or all the above in some combination or another. Some are no draw from holster, etc.

I've been a member at MFL for awhile now, this is the 2nd winter for me... and it's been worth every penny.

-Mike

Holyoke revolver club
Membership 90 a year
10 port indoor heated and great ventilation and yes open 24-7
Up to 44 mag pistol
Only 22 lr rifles
50'

so how does AFS get to allow unlicensed shooters to rent firearms. I remember that incident in Worcester that happened in 07 or 09. It's a complicated subject to allow or not allow people without LTC or FID to rent firearms. On one hand it's the tiny minority that would use the rented firearms to use it inappropriate, but majority are trying to get practice in. There needs to be supervision of these unlicensed people. Just my two cents.

so how does AFS get to allow unlicensed shooters to rent firearms. I remember that incident in Worcester that happened in 07 or 09. It's a complicated subject to allow or not allow people without LTC or FID to rent firearms. On one hand it's the tiny minority that would use the rented firearms to use it inappropriate, but majority are trying to get practice in. There needs to be supervision of these unlicensed people. Just my two cents.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Maybe you should let AFS worry about how they run their business.

Because with a few exceptions, most of the indoor private club ranges in MA have either very strict rules or lots of limitations (eg, nothing above 1000 fps, some are "lead only") or very poor ventilation, or all the above in some combination or another. Some are no draw from holster, etc.

I've been a member at MFL for awhile now, this is the 2nd winter for me... and it's been worth every penny.

-Mike

I belong to Eastern Rifle and Revolver in Lynn. Keycard access from 8:00AM to 10:00PM shooting hours, you can go anytime if you wanna hang upstairs, get a pizza, drink some beers, play darts or pool. All typical handgun rounds are allowed with the exception of magnum rounds. 22 rifle only.
50' range with 9 lanes, new ventilation system. Never anyone there to enforce any stupid rules. Play it safe, and don't do anything stupid, and all is fine.
Not the best club in the world, but for the most part you are always there alone, maybe 1 or 2 people might come and go while your there.
For $100 a year, and right down the street from me, I can't go wrong. Not sure where you are located, but if you wanna check it out, let me know. I try to head down at least once a week.

I shoot at AFS, the renters are just fine. Every once and awhile there is a clown doing something stupid, but sometimes it's even a member with the fancy plastic Mass LTC and their own gun.

wait. afs lets unlicensed shooters rent guns?

wtf am i doing here waiting for my ltc, when i could be practicing shooting at the range.

wtf am i doing here waiting for my ltc, when i could be practicing shooting at the range.

As do all of the rental ranges AFAIK, but make sure you check the rules about being unlicensed and going there alone.

I was asking because I thought AFS was allowed because of some law that exempted them. Massachusetts has some BS and messed up laws that people use to get around different laws to be exempted, that was all I was asking. Why does every one of my postings always get critizied, it's not a way to be in a forum!

They do have someone supervising, at least when I went on a Saturday. They have one employee on the range watching everyone and then they have cameras. My friend and I were lucky enough to not be charged for our range time; we only paid for the rifle rental/ammo.

Anyways, between Original Bob's and AFS, I prefer OB. AFS is way too busy for me. If you go on a weekend, make sure both ranges are open and that they aren't having a class. Otherwise you might end up waiting over an hour for a lane.

not all the time. When they get busy they usually don't have enough employees to do so.

They do have someone supervising, at least when I went on a Saturday. They have one employee on the range watching everyone and then they have cameras. My friend and I were lucky enough to not be charged for our range time; we only paid for the rifle rental/ammo.

Anyways, between Original Bob's and AFS, I prefer OB. AFS is way too busy for me. If you go on a weekend, make sure both ranges are open and that they aren't having a class. Otherwise you might end up waiting over an hour for a lane.

Yeah, AFS and Original Bob's (the only 2 public ranges I've been to) allow you to rent w/o a LTC. It can be a bit expensive since you have to rent everything and have to use their ammo but it's a great way to hold you over until you get your LTC.

Yeah, AFS and Original Bob's (the only 2 public ranges I've been to) allow you to rent w/o a LTC. It can be a bit expensive since you have to rent everything and have to use their ammo but it's a great way to hold you over until you get your LTC.

awesome. cant rent a pistol yet because im not 21 (22 days left) but i can sure get some rifle plinking in. Does Bob's have any .22lr rifles to rent?

edit: answered my own question. thanks for all the info!

I belong to Eastern Rifle and Revolver in Lynn. Keycard access from 8:00AM to 10:00PM shooting hours, you can go anytime if you wanna hang upstairs, get a pizza, drink some beers, play darts or pool. All typical handgun rounds are allowed with the exception of magnum rounds. 22 rifle only.
50' range with 9 lanes, new ventilation system. Never anyone there to enforce any stupid rules. Play it safe, and don't do anything stupid, and all is fine.
Not the best club in the world, but for the most part you are always there alone, maybe 1 or 2 people might come and go while your there.
For $100 a year, and right down the street from me, I can't go wrong. Not sure where you are located, but if you wanna check it out, let me know. I try to head down at least once a week.

I appreciate the invite, but on the weekends (which is when I get to shoot most of the time) trekking out to Lynn is a bit much.... sounds like a decent facility, though. Do they let you set targets closer than 25 feet?

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom