• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Indictment for Manso - weapons confiscated

uzi

wickedlocal.com/provincetown...Manso-fires-back-on-gun-indictment

August 28th 2008
TRURO -

Author Peter Manso was indicted on Friday by a Barnstable grand jury on gun charges. The charges are the result of the confiscation by Truro Police of weapons from Manso’s home on Long Nook Drive.

The police saw the weapons when they responded to a burglar alarm in late December, while Manso was in California. They returned the next day with a warrant and seized three unlicensed weapons — a snub nose .38 revolver, a .22 caliber rifle and a Colt AR15 government carbine, an assault weapon, with a 30-round clip. Possession of the assault weapon carries a possible 10-year prison sentence and up to a $10,000 fine.

Related Story - Unlicensed guns found in noted author’s home - Provincetown, MA

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I read in newspapers, the more I am convinced, that to be a news reporter today one must check their brain at the door before they write a story; I've never known that a gun needed a license, like what kind of license would it need, one to drive a car?

he is a non resident without permits. He's screwed.

I disagree with the law, I feel any non prohibited person should be allowed to keep a pistol or long arm in their home or on their property without permits.

I have houses in MA where I can not have a weapon because I am a resident of NH .

Second Amendment, numb nuts, Second. Not First.

Wrong.

Manso's position is that this is police harassment as retribution for his coverage of its botched murder investigation.

That makes it a FIRST Amendment issue.

He is a wing nut who possessed firearms after the revocation of his LTC. A revocation as a result of his firing a handgun at a group of hunters.

Interesting.

So - did he fail to surrender his guns at the time of revocation and the PD failed to follow up, or did he illegally acquire the guns after the revocation.

Interesting.

So - did he fail to surrender his guns at the time of revocation and the PD failed to follow up, or did he illegally acquire the guns after the revocation.

Yeah, what happens when folks don't renew an FID or LTC in Mass? Are they instructed to dispose of their firearms?

Also, in light of the Heller decision, is it possible that he could argue a permit is not required since his firearms were in his home?

Interesting.

I believe that the handgun was purchased out of state and brought into Ma AFTER the revocation. The long guns were retained after the revocation due to a valid FID. These came into violation upon expiration of FID.

He had knowledge of the expired FID as well.

Last edited:
This story will grow and provide many twists and turns relating to both the 1st, and possibly second amendment.

While it sounds like there may be some retribution here by the COP, we have all been advised here that it is our own responsibility to remain current on laws.

I wonder who put all those guns he use to own back into his house while he was away?

No, I don't think it was a police conspiracy, it's just an interesting question, to me.

I wonder who put all those guns he use to own back into his house while he was away?

No, I don't think it was a police conspiracy, it's just an interesting question, to me.

They were always there!! No one put them there while he was gone nor is he claiming that.

Yeah, what happens when folks don't renew an FID or LTC in Mass? Are they instructed to dispose of their firearms?

My father was not told anything when he did not renew, I took his guns for obvious reasons.

---------------------------------------------------

I know a hand full of people who own guns and do not have a valid FID/LTC (old lifetime FID, expired, moved from out of state). Some of them swear up and down how they are allowed to on their own property or they just don't give a crap... It is like talking to a brick wall with most of them.

Wrong.

Manso's position is that this is police harassment as retribution for his coverage of its botched murder investigation.

That makes it a FIRST Amendment issue.

His position is bull shit. He violated the law. He can cry police oppression all he wants, but the fact remains.

This is peculiar- while I think the PD has caught him "red handed" so to speak, on this, why didn't they do anything about it nearly a decade ago? [thinking]

Sounds like someone whining about his literature went "digging", found that he was likely not in compliance, and went for the jugular.

I can agree with him that the state did a pretty poor job of notifying FID holders. The thing is, though, you really had to live under a rock to not know that "lifetime FIDs" were going into the shitter. A close friend of mine who knows very little about gun laws even the changes were coming and had upgraded from his FID to an LTC-A.

-Mike

why didn't they do anything about it nearly a decade ago? [thinking]

What was the PD to do? How would they have known he had firearms upon the expiration of the FID? It is not upon the PD to make sure someone is not in possession of a firearm upon the expiration of an FID.

Sounds like someone whining about his literature went "digging", found that he was likely not in compliance, and went for the jugular.

No...it sounds like someone was stupid by having an alarm that sends the police to a residence when you illegally possess unsecured firearms.[wink]

What was the PD to do? How would they have known he had firearms upon the expiration of the FID? It is not upon the PD to make sure someone is not in possession of a firearm upon the expiration of an FID.

No...it sounds like someone was stupid by having an alarm that sends the police to a residence when you illegally possess unsecured firearms.[wink]

That pretty much sums it up right there. The last thing we need is police inspections upon expiration of an FID/LTC. The guy was an idiot and got caught.

Notwithstanding the fact (IMO/IANAL) that the law is wrong and unconstitutional, and even IF the incident was sparked by 'payback' (and not coincidentally noticing the guns on a legit police response), yes, absolutely, the guy was an idiot on many counts and got caught.

I missed the part about the "burglar alarm" so the context makes more
sense now. D'oh.

Did this guy like leave them in his front window or something? Or was the
house unsecured, and the PD went inside? I agree that legally speaking,
the guy was a pretty dim bulb, to put it mildly.

-Mike

Does anyone know whether Truro is Green or not? I'm just curious as the last time I saw the map there was no indication. My folks live in Wellfleet, one town over, and while I always bring a sidearm with me I haven't ever had any official dealings with the po po in that area and never really knew what the local stance was. Anyone have a Wellfleet or Truro license that could elaborate on the climate down their?

R D

Exactly. If it was a false alarm, how did they know he had guns in the house? [thinking]

If they were responding to an alarm and found a door open or even unlocked, I'd think they would be justified in entering to search for possible suspects. If the guns were out in plain sight or in a place where they could reasonably look for a burglar, I'd guess that the search was legal.

If that was the case, I'd expect his lawyer to challenge that in court.

At least that's my guess.

Does anyone know whether Truro is Green or not? I'm just curious as the last time I saw the map there was no indication. My folks live in Wellfleet, one town over, and while I always bring a sidearm with me I haven't ever had any official dealings with the po po in that area and never really knew what the local stance was. Anyone have a Wellfleet or Truro license that could elaborate on the climate down their?

R D

I know a bit about the Chief in Wellfleet and he seems like a good guy. I would expect him to issue LTC-A/None to anyone with a clean record. I do not live on the Cape and very rarely travel there, but I have talked with him on the phone and via Email on gun-related issues and he seems like he's "one of us".

According to Truro Police Chief John Thomas, Manso’s pre-1998 FID did not cover the assault weapon, called “high caliber weapons.”

FAIL.

If that was the case I never would have been able to buy my AK from FS, since an FID was all I had. Glad to see those in charge of deciding suitability are aware of their own f-ing laws.

What exactly are “high caliber weapons.” ???? [thinking]

I've heard of high power ammo, and large capacity magazines.

Last edited:
Did this guy like leave them in his front window or something? Or was the
house unsecured, and the PD went inside?

-Mike

The house was unsecured and the PD checked the house for intruders as per policy. The guns were out in plain view in the master bedroom.

The house was unsecured and the PD checked the house for intruders as per policy. The guns were out in plain view in the master bedroom.

He is an idiot for leaving guns out in the open in an unoccupied home!

Having had my house robbed right after I bought it (we were working on it, hadn't moved in yet) and finding out that the perp ran out the back door as we backed up the driveway . . . I never want to walk into my house and face one of MY GUNS staring at me in the hands of some perp. Don't need a "gun law" to use some common sense and lock them up when you aren't living there (or are away)!

I'm willing to bet that he didn't have gun locks on any of them either, although we aren't told if that is the case or not.

Back
Top Bottom