• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Indianapolis Gun Store Shut Down, Firearms Seized By ATF

mikeyp

NES Member
Luckily this doesn't seem to happen too often, but it doesn't help our cause when it does

Indianapolis Gun Store Shut Down, Firearms Seized By ATF

56786d70-9c86-4eb5-8c2a-5104d4ef080f.jpg

The owners of G2 Sports Products, an Indianapolis gun store, have surrendered their federal firearms licenses and had their inventory seized by the ATF after a months-long investigation allegedly revealed multiple violations of federal firearms law. According to the ATF the store, “knowingly transferred handguns to an out-of-state resident, made false entries in records, failed to report multiple sales of handguns and knowingly transferred firearms to a prohibited person.”

The owners surrendered the federal license for the store and none of them will be eligible to reapply or engage in any way in the business of dealing guns.

Approximately 390 firearms, silencers and receivers including rifles, shotguns and handguns were seized. They had a total approximate value of $224,000.

Prior to the seizure, an indictment was filed against Scott Genung, a convicted felon. Police made several undercover gun purchases from Genung, who allegedly processed the sales himself. Officers say they observed him carrying a firearm on his person during those sales.

He allegedly indicated to the undercover officers that he was responsible for many of the store operations, including placing an order from a distributor for a gun.

Gun control advocates claim that it’s impossible for the ATF to go after “bad apple” dealers, but clearly that’s not the case. The ATF found what sound be pretty clear violations of the law, and they’re shutting down the store and kicking the owners out of the firearms business completely. The ATF can absolutely deal with “bad apples”. It’s just that some of the gun stores gun control advocates claim are bad apples really aren’t.

The fact is that while there are some genuine bad actors, there are also shops that may end up with a larger number of guns sold that end up in getting traced simply because of a high volume of sales. ATF regulations are no joke either. Far from being lax, ATF can shut down gun stores for simple paperwork violations, much less allowing guns to be transferred to a prohibited person, as was allegedly the case here.

I’m happy to hear the owners’ side of the story, but given the fact that they’ve surrendered their licenses and are permanently barred from working in the gun industry, I’m guessing whatever the story is, they didn’t feel like they were likely going to win in a court of law. It was likely an offer of “take this deal or we can go to trial and put you in federal prison for several years.” It looks like that’s where employee Scott Genung is headed, at least based on the evidence the ATF says it has.

Meanwhile, anti-gun activists intent on shutting down all gun stores will continue to insist that the ATF doesn’t have the tools it needs to go after shops like G2 Sports. If they acknowledge this story at all, it will only be to portray G2 Sports as indicative of all gun stores, and to use this case to argue for more gun laws and regulations that will put put more independent shops out of business. In that sense, the owners of G2 Sports didn’t just hurt themselves, but responsible gun dealers as well.

I’ve dealt with 3 of one eyed jack’s Littleton guys. All great. All smooth.

My hat is off to those guys and all FFLs. Whenever I start feeling sorry for myself that my industry is heavily regulated by the feds, I think of those guys and all FFLs and realize, shit, my life ain’t so bad.

Yaaaaawwwwwn.....Meanwhile, Eric"the illegal international gun runner" Holder walks a free man......and he has the death of at least one border patrol agent and God knows how many other people on his hands.

I understand the point of view of the author. In practice the ATF is very unlikely to revoke your license for "simple paperwork violations".

Fact Sheet - Federal Firearms Compliance Inspections and Revocation Process | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Talking to the ATF auditors who recently did the Mill in Littleton (we had 10 at once), the indicated they only revoked immediately for one thing: no 4473 and knowing selling to a prohibited person. Just no 4473 is not enough, you have to know or should know they are prohibited.

They will ultimately revoke for paperwork if you continue to have the same issues audit after audit. They said generally you get ~5 chances to fix your shit. They referenced some changes in the not so distant past that took a lot of teeth out of enforcement. I cant remember the year, but the older auditors indicated that they used to have more latitude to revoke licenses than they do today.

Hard to argue when a convicted felon is running the shop and selling guns to people who shouldn't be buying guns at that store.

Back
Top Bottom