Indiana Appeals court rules gun owner isn’t liable after shot from stolen weapon kills teen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why??? So we should have a nation-wide safe-storage law???

The proximate cause of death wasn't a gun on the seat, it was a dirtbag pulling the trigger.

Leave the keys to your car under the mat or over the visor. Someone steals the car and kills 3 people. Are you at fault????

He's a moron to be sure. But that doesn't add liability to his plate.

So if someone steals an axe out of an unlocked vehicle and ends up killing another by accident from wildly swinging it the owner would be lucky to get off?

Or is your statement due to “Becuze gunz”?

I think we all know the answer...
Leave a loaded pistol on the front seat of your unlocked truck isn't irresponsible? Big difference between "Becuze gunz" or your wallet, cell phone,etc. What is the answer Nickie?

Who the hell is nickie? Stop being an ass clown and pushing your pre crime agenda. No storage law means just that. He is just lucky people like you don’t push feelgood do something laws in his state.

Who the hell is nickie? Stop being an ass clown and pushing your pre crime agenda. No storage law means just that. He is just lucky people like you don’t push feelgood do something laws in his state.
You're nickie, can you read? leaving a firearm in a unlocked vehicle in a parking lot in plain view is irresponsible and stupid, you're guaranteeing it will be stolen by someone . This ain't Mayberry RFD. When you own a firearm you take responsibility for it's use, if you feel the need to leave it a vehicle lock it and put the firearm somewhere where it's not easily observed. "ass clown?" Your firearm should always be under your control when you're in PUBLIC. I lost count of the Privates I've smoked because they left their weapon in the chow hall, leaning up against a tree, in a unsecured vehicle, in the shitter, etc.

No difference. None. Property is property. Don’t let your feelz get in the way of rational judgement.
I have no "FEELZ" , I take responsibility for my actions and the carrying of a firearm. It always must be under my control when in public, it's your duty and responsibility as a gun owner. Same with my vehicle, once the keys are in the ignition and I hit START it's MY responsibility. If you leave your vehicle running with the keys in it unlocked and someone steals it it's YOUR fault. This is the REAL world because a firearm and a vehicle are deadly weapons in the wrong hands. It's got nothing to do with LAWS, it's about being a responsible adult. .

I have no "FEELZ" , I take responsibility for my actions and the carrying of a firearm. It always must be under my control when in public, it's your duty and responsibility as a gun owner. Same with my vehicle, once the keys are in the ignition and I hit START it's MY responsibility. If you leave your vehicle running with the keys in it unlocked and someone steals it it's YOUR fault. This is the REAL world because a firearm and a vehicle are deadly weapons in the wrong hands. It's got nothing to do with LAWS, it's about being a responsible adult. .

Wow. I have no words for this.

I often wonder if everyone is on stupid juice. Stop drinking it.

Got it. If someone steals from you, it’s your fault.

There is a lot of stupid stuff written in this forum. But this has to be top 10 all time.

You're nickie, can you read? leaving a firearm in a unlocked vehicle in a parking lot in plain view is irresponsible and stupid, you're guaranteeing it will be stolen by someone . This ain't Mayberry RFD. When you own a firearm you take responsibility for it's use, if you feel the need to leave it a vehicle lock it and put the firearm somewhere where it's not easily observed. "ass clown?" Your firearm should always be under your control when you're in PUBLIC. I lost count of the Privates I've smoked because they left their weapon in the chow hall, leaning up against a tree, in a unsecured vehicle, in the shitter, etc.

Wait. You're a privates-smoker?? Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

There is no question, regardless of where I lived, that I would NEVER do this. I think neither would anyone else on this board. BUT, that doesn't mean they are criminally liable. There's a huge difference.

Wow. I have no words for this.

I often wonder if everyone is on stupid juice. Stop drinking it.

Got it. If someone steals from you, it’s your fault.

There is a lot of stupid stuff written in this forum. But this has to be top 10 all time.

Get REAL, so you leave your car running with the keys in it unlocked in your driveway, at the convenience store? YES, it's YOUR fault for being negligent. You leave a loaded pistol on the front seat of your unlocked vehicle and you don't think that's negligent? Wow, not big on personal responsibility I see. Do I leave my pistol on the table when my 2yr old Grandson is running around? NO! And you guys wonder why liberals pass nanny Laws, perfect example right here.

Wait. You're a privates-smoker?? Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

There is no question, regardless of where I lived, that I would NEVER do this. I think neither would anyone else on this board. BUT, that doesn't mean they are criminally liable. There's a huge difference.

I didn't say he was criminally responsible, I said he was an idiot and lucky he wasn't convicted of negligence.

Get REAL, so you leave your car running with the keys in it unlocked in your driveway, at the convenience store? YES, it's YOUR fault for being negligent. You leave a loaded pistol on the front seat of your unlocked vehicle and you don't think that's negligent? Wow, not big on personal responsibility I see. Do I leave my pistol on the table when my 2yr old Grandson is running around? NO! And you guys wonder why liberals pass nanny Laws, perfect example right here.

Yes I am big on personal responsibility. I thing the douche nozzle 15 year old is a piece of shot already. I think his parents are a holes for procreating and raising another piece of crap.

Don’t steal. Teach your kids not to steal.

And if some douche steals from me, no, it’s not my fault. Ever. For any reason. Not one bit.

And you, whoever you are, are a blithering moron and also shouldn’t procreate. Let’s go to keep the gene pool semi decent.

If you leave your vehicle running with the keys in it unlocked and someone steals it it's YOUR fault.

I think this most accurately explains why he thinks the way he does. Drill Instructor mentality applied to real world situations...

I'm all for the insurance company NOT paying you if your vehicle gets stolen if you leave it with the keys in it, running. But I shouldn't be held responsible because some asshat steals it and runs someone over with it! What happens when some a**h*** steals a baseball bat out of my yard and bashes someone's head in with it? should I go to jail? Woops, left my bleach in my grocery cart and someone drank it and died, I must be guilty of murder. SMH

Yes I am big on personal responsibility. I thing the douche nozzle 15 year old is a piece of shot already. I think his parents are a holes for procreating and raising another piece of crap.

Don’t steal. Teach your kids not to steal.

And if some douche steals from me, no, it’s not my fault. Ever. For any reason. Not one bit.

And you, whoever you are, are a blithering moron and also shouldn’t procreate. Let’s go to keep the gene pool semi decent.

Ah yes, Insults work real well. You must be a liberal. This is why we have safe storage laws and the anti's love these types of incidents to portray us as irresponsible gun owners who can't keep control of our firearms. "Procreate?" Ah yes, another keyboard commando quick with the insults hiding behind his computer in NC. So you never lock your doors or your vehicle? Why don't you put all your valuables in your front yard and head to work and tell us how that worked out? Do you publish your passwords for your ATM/debit card, bank accounts? Email? WHY? Where do you work? Would your employer be thrilled if you allowed someone to access company computers and whose responsibility would it be if said person used it for unauthorized use? Put your money where your mouth is. Next time you travel North look me , I'm to old to "procreate" but a good "discussion" is always fun.

I think this most accurately explains why he thinks the way he does. Drill Instructor mentality applied to real world situations...
Right, I live in the real world while you still live in Mayberry. No Drill Instructor but I remember as a kid riding my bike to school, forgetting to lock the front wheel to the bike rack and coming out to find your prized possession gone. Guess who my Mother and the Nuns blamed and this was in 1965 at a Catholic School?

Last edited:
I'm all for the insurance company NOT paying you if your vehicle gets stolen if you leave it with the keys in it, running. But I shouldn't be held responsible because some asshat steals it and runs someone over with it! What happens when some a**h*** steals a baseball bat out of my yard and bashes someone's head in with it? should I go to jail? Woops, left my bleach in my grocery cart and someone drank it and died, I must be guilty of murder. SMH
Apples and oranges, baseball bat vs Vehicle?

Right, I live in the real world while you still live in Mayberry.

Now who is assuming? I am going to leave you now to wallow in your own anger gramps. It’s unlikely you will understand an opposing position at this point anyways...

Got it. It was a civil liabilities case. Agreed - much lower standard there. Interesting it was unamamanu. . . Yumaninumuh. . . . . Younamannou. . . . . all affirmative decision.

Now who is assuming? I am going to leave you now to wallow in your own anger gramps. It’s unlikely you will understand an opposing position at this point anyways...
Nothing to do with "understanding" you sonny, it's living in the real world. I'm not the one calling posters out and mocking them, you are. Can I have your PIN # for your debit card since you don't believe you need to secure your stuff? Here's the consequences of irresponsible behavior which our enemies will exploit every time.

"In the race between New York and California for the honor of the nation’s most anti-gun legislature, the Empire State may be taking the lead.

On the heels of several sweeping anti-gun measures, the New York State Senate and Assembly passed a bill this week that would require gun owners to lock their firearms separately from ammunition whenever a child under the age of 16 is present in the home. The bill, A02686, is headed to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s desk where his signature is all but guaranteed.

Supporters of the bill claim that the policy is intended to stem the apparent tide of accidental deaths and injuries minors commit with firearms.

“All this bill does is try to protect children from accidentally getting ahold of a loaded weapon and using it, unintentionally, on themselves, their siblings, their own parents,” Sen. Liz Krueger said from the Senate floor. “That’s what this bill is about. It doesn’t take a gun away from anyone.”

As we’ve reported, however, the ubiquity of this problem is frequently exaggerated by those pushing for policies that keep gun owners in check."
New York Passes Law Requiring Guns be Secured, Locked Away from Ammo - GunsAmerica Digest

Last edited:
Ah yes, Insults work real well. You must be a liberal. This is why we have safe storage laws and the anti's love these types of incidents to portray us as irresponsible gun owners who can't keep control of our firearms. "Procreate?" Ah yes, another keyboard commando quick with the insults hiding behind his computer in NC. So you never lock your doors or your vehicle? Why don't you put all your valuables in your front yard and head to work and tell us how that worked out? Do you publish your passwords for your ATM/debit card, bank accounts? Email? WHY? Where do you work? Would your employer be thrilled if you allowed someone to access company computers and whose responsibility would it be if said person used it for unauthorized use? Put your money where your mouth is. Next time you travel North look me , I'm to old to "procreate" but a good "discussion" is always fun.
Okay - You call a guy by a diminutive who you don't know which is an insult in just about every culture and then insult him again by calling him a liberal within a sarcastic post about insults.

I think asshat is quite the descriptive and desrving moniker.

The guy needs to take at least some responsibility. Not criminal , but come on.
It's part of being a grown up.
If I leave a tray of rat poison on the floor and the dog eats it , I'm not blaming the dog for doing dog stuff.
If I leave loaded guns all over the house and it's just adults there , who cares? If there is little kids in the house that makes me an irresponsible d-bag.
Should I be able to leave my gun or six hundred dollar phone on the front seat in plain sight with the doors unlocked , sure.
Chances are it's going to get stolen no matter what version of reality you want to substitute with your own though.

The facts in this case strongly resemble situations where a court
would have no qualms whatsoever about finding the defendant liable:

If it weren't for the statute deliberately punching a hole
in liability law for stolen guns,
I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised
if the lawsuit had succeeded against the gun owner.

If the plaintiff appeals to the state supreme court,
the defendant had better pray that the highest court
shares the lower court's respect for the will of the legislature.

And all the other gun owners in Indiana had better pray that
the statute doesn't get repealed because of this guy's negligence.

I remember as a kid riding my bike to school, forgetting to lock the front wheel to the bike rack and coming out to find your prized possession gone. Guess who my Mother and the Nuns blamed and this was in 1965 at a Catholic School?
church-lady-satan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom