• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Independent Light Review - Quark vs Streamlight

Independent Light Review

4- Sevens Quark 123(2)
(2) CR123 batteries
MSRP = $69.00
Actual = $40 (gun show)
MFGR LINK

vs

Streamlight PT1AA
(1)AA battery
MSRP =
Actual = $45 (Ballistic Reload)
MFGR LINK

Features:
Both include a belt clip and nylon pouch for storage. The Quark has a fully protected end cap switch, the PT1AA features approximate 1/3 protection.

The Streamlight has a full-on, strobe and low level output and is rated for approx. 59 Lumens max - selecting the light levels is as simple as clicking the end cap switch – but you have to cycle through the different levels in the order above to get to your desired levels.

The Quark has a multi-level output from “moon light” to full output plus (2) strobe type settings and is rated at 200 lumens max. Selecting the light levels is as simple as clicking the end cap switch but you have to cycle through the different levels in the order above to get to your desired levels. Selecting full brightness is accomplished by screwing the lamp bezel all the way down. A simple ¼ turn “out” will put the light into partial output/cycle mode.

From a construction standpoint both are very robust and made from aluminum machining, see links for more details.

NOTE: a 60 watt incandescent lamp is rated for approx. 890 Lumens – this is initial output. The nature of any incandescent lamp is to output the max. rating upon initial energizing and will degrade until failure of the element. LED are electronically monitored for consistent output.

Impressions:
The Streamlight wins in the size category, being approximately the size of a roll of dimes – a small efficient package delivering a moderate amount of light where needed. Cycling from full on to strobe to low output is something of a trick to get used to and the Quark may have the upper hand here. If all you need is a simple on/off type light for general use, this might be your light with strobe and low on the side.

The Quark – sized about like a long roll of nickels - wins with its multi-function output and ability to be used as a weapon light – with a small amount of hockey/electrical tape it will fit into a set of 1” QD rings for mounting to a Picatinny rail easily. Cycling from lowest to lower to full then to strobe and S-O-S is as simple as clicking the tail cap in that order. If you need full on, then twist the bezel down tight and click the tail cap.
Both come with a nylon pouch, both with elastic material for a firm fit and a hook-and-loop type closure. The Quark has a simple belt loop but features a D ring for D ring needs. The Streamlight has a hook-and-loop type double strap tat lend to fitting many belt sizes.

Impressions:
Getting familiar with the operation of either light is recommended before use – if you have five minutes to kill before you stick it in your pocket, you’ll be good.

From a size perspective the PT1AA wins as it is smaller overall than the Quark 123 – no surprise there - the AA battery is simply smaller and lighter weight, especially from a single battery as opposed to any two-battery light.

If you are considering a weapon light or other uses besides a simple on/off light then I’d suggest the Quark as the 3 different light levels can be handy at times but the strobe S-O-S and “epileptic fit” modes are somewhat specialized.

For my line of work I’ll be carrying the Streamlight as my needs are simple on/off, transportability and the AA battery platform are easily found nearly everywhere. The Quark will become a weapon light or just stuck in the truck for a light as needed. I can find a home for both in my kit but each serve different purposes.

Although there is a difference between a single AA battery and (2) two CR123, I thought the review from an overall standpoint may be helpful to some.

Please see the attached pics for output and size comparison. Please note the brightest is the Quark, the dimmest is the Streamlight and the sxs comparison includes the holsters for each light. Distance from light to target (door) is approx 16 feet, door is 30" wide - I'll verify when I find my stupid tape measure...

Thank you for your time and comments - Sprocket

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your review. Good to see other people are starting to try some 4 sevens products out.

The couple of things jumped out at me about the review. First I don't think you are really comparing apples to apples, and perhaps you never planned to.

You say the Streamlight wins in size, but you put it against a 2x CR123a light. 4 Sevens makes other lights in a 1x AA or 1xCR123a or even 1x AAA that would be better served as an EDC light if that is what someone is looking for.

Also you mention that the light doesn't fit the scope rings. If you use the 3/4 scope rings the lights work rather well. I would use either the turbo or tactical Quarks as a weapon light myself, but even the base model would do fine.

BTW I do not work for 4 Sevens. I just happen to like their product, and know a little about them.

Last edited:
First I don't think you are really comparing apples to apples, and perhaps you never planned to.

read closely - It's not apple to apples
Although there is a difference between a single AA battery and (2) two CR123, I thought the review from an overall standpoint may be helpful to some.

As for 3/4" rings, I never thought of that - I was thinking of the standard 1" lights/rings that seem to be very prevalent

Lastly - I do not work for either company, just sharing observations and comparisons

I'm going to post my review of the Quark AA. Hopefully others will chime in if they didn't have the same problems I did.

Pros:

Cheap
Very bright
I liked the weight/size/feel of it
Battery life is good

Cons:

-> My loose-head setting is bright and tight-head setting is dim. If I tighten the head and turn it on, it momentarily flashes bright before going dim. I believe it's something fubar with the electronics because if I do it immediately again it does not happen. If the flash light has been off for more than 1 min., it will exhibit that behavior every time.

-> Sometimes turning it on wouldn't "catch." I'd have to cycle it a few times to get it to stay on. Sometimes if I gave it a few whacks it would turn on and stay on.

-> Gasket near battery cap got chewed up and now it is even more finicky. I stopped carrying it.

Like I said, I'm hoping what I've experienced is just a fluke. Please add your own comments.

Back
Top Bottom