• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Independence 357 magnum

Okay, I am admittedly very very new to guns. Just bought a GP100 and knowing that I was going to the range in the next few days picked up some ammo. Now keep in mind I have no idea on brands or prices. I bought two boxes of Independence 357 Magnum 158 GR. I paid 29.95 a box. So...........is the brand any good and was the price okay.

Thanks, try not to be too brutal.

I picked up a box back earlier this year during the peak of Firearmageddon. Don't think I paid more than $26 for a box though. IIRC it shot just fine. In my case .357 lasts because I'll usually end up shooting more 38 anyway. Maybe 10rnds of .357 to every 100rnds of 38.

Independence ammo sucks.

I've actually got no complaints with independance ammo. Can you say why you think is sucks?

To the OP......depends on what you are doing with your GP100 as far as what ammo to get. Personally Im addicted to shooting 357 magnum out of my ruger sp101! I put far more magnum through mine than 38 special. Independance is a good brand for whacking the hell out of bowling pins at close range for shits and grins......and hitting paper to practice fast follow ups with magnum loads.....IMO of course. I shoot independance brand 158 grain and magtech brand 158s throug mine all the time. If you can find 125 grain remington semi jacketed hollow points in 357 mag those are a hoot as well.......big muzzle blast! The only ammo I stay away from is blazer........I put that brand throug mine once and it was the grainiest dirtiest crap I ever shot.....took forever to clean it after.

You sound new to revolvers so I recomend you do this......load two chambers with .38 spec 130 grain......two with 125 grain 357 mag remington sjsp.....and the last two with 158 grain magtechs or independance. You'll soon get the full spectrum of what a 357 magnum is capable of! ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Where did you find indy 158 grain for $29.99.......up till last year I was paying between 21 and 26 bucks a box......its been running me 34 bucks a box lately........you got it at an OK price btw!

Last edited:
I'm usually between .30¢ and .40¢ per round for 38/357, but sometimes you gotta take what you can get

WHere are you finding 357 mag for .30 to .40 a box? Those were prices lower than I was seeing last year before the stupidity! I'm at a minimum of .60 a round these days.

Horribly dirty.

OK. I'd say its dirtier than winchester white box or remington but I found it tollerable. Blazer on the other hand was real bad......I could even feel grit hitting me in the face when I was shooting Blazer! I won't buy that again.

I've actually got no complaints with independance ammo. Can you say why you think is sucks?

To the OP......depends on what you are doing with your GP100 as far as what ammo to get. Personally Im addicted to shooting 357 magnum out of my ruger sp101! I put far more magnum through mine than 38 special. Independance is a good brand for whacking the hell out of bowling pins at close range for shits and grins......and hitting paper to practice fast follow ups with magnum loads.....IMO of course. I shoot independance brand 158 grain and magtech brand 158s throug mine all the time. If you can find 125 grain remington semi jacketed hollow points in 357 mag those are a hoot as well.......big muzzle blast! The only ammo I stay away from is blazer........I put that brand throug mine once and it was the grainiest dirtiest crap I ever shot.....took forever to clean it after.

You sound new to revolvers so I recomend you do this......load two chambers with .38 spec 130 grain......two with 125 grain 357 mag remington sjsp.....and the last two with 158 grain magtechs or independance. You'll soon get the full spectrum of what a 357 magnum is capable of! ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Where did you find indy 158 grain for $29.99.......up till last year I was paying between 21 and 26 bucks a box......its been running me 34 bucks a box lately........you got it at an OK price btw!

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is where I got the ammo: http://www.bgsporting.net/

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is where I got the ammo: http://www.bgsporting.net/

Kind of a haul for me as I'm from the Merrimack valley but if I ever get out that way i'll check them out. 30 bucks a box for decent 357 is the going rate right now. I remember about a year ago Bobs up in Salisbury had an "overstock" of independence .357 and was charging $21! I picked up 10 boxes at that price but should have stocked up more than that as it is long been fired at the range! I'm still in hopes this insanity will end soon and things will get back to normal.

Congrats on the ruger gp100....I saw you post it in the general discussion forum. I know guys who say I'm crazy for owning a couple of 357 wheel guns because they are much more expensive to feed than a 9mm.........but i'm addicted to 357 mag.....can't help it! Let me know what you think of the 158 grain indy loads.

It's not the worst price, as the cheapest .357 I usually see is 25 bucks a box.

Right now I can't find ANY though.

I ordered a 500 round case of Fiocchi 142 gr .357 magnum just days after sandy hook for $18 per box shipped. Thought that was a steal. Good clean ammo but definitely not as hard hitting as 158 gr or 125 gr PMC or Remington brands. Really wish I bought more of that. I scored a box of Remington 125 gr rounds at the Wilmington gun show for $22 then another guy had PMC 158 gr for $26 per box. I was at Collectable Arms and Ammo in NH last Thursday and they had PMC 158 gr for $27.99 per box. Them and shooter's outpost were charging $25 per box back in July.

It's getting tough to find .357 lately. Unless you drive up to NH and pay a $28 per box plus gas driving up there. I went to some gun shops in Rutland, VT when I was working there last week, they were charging $41! plus tax per box!! for PMC and Remington target rounds! I'm like holy s*** no wonder you have a full shelf of that ammo, who is going to pay that?!

Last edited:
I ordered a 500 round case of Fiocchi 142 gr .357 magnum just days after sandy hook for $18 per box shipped. Thought that was a steal. Good clean ammo but definitely not as hard hitting as 158 gr or 125 gr PMC or Remington brands. Really wish I bought more of that. I scored a box of Remington 125 gr rounds at the Wilmington gun show for $22 then another guy had PMC 158 gr for $26 per box. I was at Collectable Arms and Ammo in NH last Thursday and they had PMC 158 gr for $27.99 per box. Them and shooter's outpost were charging $25 per box back in July.

It's getting tough to find .357 lately. Unless you drive up to NH and pay a $28 per box plus gas driving up there. I went to some gun shops in Rutland, VT when I was working there last week, they were charging $41! plus tax per box!! for PMC and Remington target rounds! I'm like holy s*** no wonder you have a full shelf of that ammo, who is going to pay that?!
Hah that's funny as hell.......I said the same thing to myself when I dropped at north shore in Middleborough last week.......walked in and saw tons of ammo and was like.....cool.......then I w
Saw the prices and said yeah no wonder. Looked at a M1A cuz I've never handled one and walked out.

Back
Top Bottom