• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Incredible photos from Afghanistan

Wow!

And yes, in pic #14 the guy on the right appears to be holding a Romanian FPL (Romak 3). The mag is right next to the trigger guard (I think) which rules out a Russian Dragonov.

Definitely looks like a Romak. Our troops are gathering them up left and right over there and they are the #1 sniper weapon for the enemy.

Weird to think that a rifle I have in my collection is being used so widely in a modern day conflict.

Interesting choice in weapons. I guess it has greater range and stopping power then an AR. I'm surprised they let him use it as his service weapon though. Unless he humps it along with his issue gear.

From the picture...

"U.S. Marines scan for Taliban insurgents as Afghan forces search a house for weapons October 25, 2008 in the Korengal Valley of Kunar Province in eastern Afghanistan. (John Moore/Getty Images) #"

I'm guessing its a US soldier watching over an Afghan soldier, but I could be wrong.

I just don't see how a US soldier wouldn't have an M1A instead of a Romak.

Great pics, I like the guy who had his blood type on the back of his boots with the last 4 of his ssn. High speed. Its good to think about these guys as I sit on my fat butt in my warm house. God bless em.

Great photos. I'm a masochist, I couldn't not read the comments. Felt compelled to address 'The Brit'. Basically I called BS on his being British as he referred to 'Argentinians' in one of his posts. Brits call them 'Argentines' just as they spell color as colour and armor as armour.

But an Afghan soldier would typically have a beard.

I can't tell for sure, but at first glance his uniform looked like MARPAT but after staring at it for awhile I've convinced myself that it's possibly not MARPAT.

It does look like it has the pocket on the arm, though.

*edit... nah, I think that's definitely a Marine.

Last edited:
Those are some great shots captured by that guy.

OMNAHAdistro.jpg

Humanitarian drop in Omna

SHRAcampinDila.jpg

Living in the dirt for a couple of weeks

GomalSchoolWellwkids.jpg

kids in Gomal. Part of the Paktika Province

I can't tell for sure, but at first glance his uniform looked like MARPAT but after staring at it for awhile I've convinced myself that it's possibly not MARPAT.

It does look like it has the pocket on the arm, though.

*edit... nah, I think that's definitely a Marine.

I am pretty sure the guy with the Romak is the same guy who is talking to the Village Elders (with the interpreter) - 2 pictures above. His features don't look Afghani, he has the NV mount on his helmet, his cuff is rolled, wearing a watch, same kerchief around his neck, and pack setup.

Back
Top Bottom