Inconsistent powder drops

kalash

NES Member
I'm using a Lyman #55 measure to drop Unique for 9mm, then measuring using a digital scale, and the results are very inconsistent - within ten drops I can be anywhere between 3.8 and 4.3 grains. The Lyman has two "charge bars" (or whatever they're called) that allow you to fine-tune the amount of powder that drops down; first I had a wide shallow opening; then I tried a deep narrow opening; no luck. The unit feels solid overall, the adjustment screws don't seem to be stripped or to be backing out. Something isn't jiving with the Lyman/Unique combination - am I better off upgrading the measure of trying a new powder?

I had one of those Lyman's......and I had the same frustrations your experiencing. Honestly, dump that thing and buy a Redding or a Hornandy. That whole sliding bar system on that measure just doesn't seem to work that good.

No experience using a Lyman powder measure or Unique. But I do know that Unique is a flake powder and can be hard to get a consistent drop (as you're well aware). With reloading components so plentiful now, I'd just buy a better/different powder for 9mm. W231/HP-38, Titegroup, CFE Pistol etc.

I have no complaints with my Hornady powder measure but can't comment how well it meters with Unique.

Are you using the little "knocker" on the powder measure?

To get accurate drops on those things you need to experiment with a "routine", and maintain a consistent technique - like "three knocks with the little knocker, the down fast, and up slow". I'm not saying that's the exact choreography you need, but those are the kinds of histrionics you need to get decent drops out of the thing (like Sponge Bob blowing a bubble).

Like others have said, you might be better off getting a Hornady and calling it good.

I'd just buy a better/different powder for 9mm. W231/HP-38, Titegroup, CFE Pistol etc.
Any of those better or worse than the others? One thing I do like about Unique is that it takes up quite some volume so a double-charge is literally impossible - perfect for a newb.

Are you using the little "knocker" on the powder measure?

To get accurate drops on those things you need to experiment with a "routine", and maintain a consistent technique - like "three knocks with the little knocker, the down fast, and up slow". I'm not saying that's the exact choreography you need, but those are the kinds of histrionics you need to get decent drops out of the thing (like Sponge Bob blowing a bubble).

Like others have said, you might be better off getting a Hornady and calling it good.
Yep, using the knocker. Tried to keep it consistent drop-for-drop but still woefully inconsistent results.

Any of those better or worse than the others? One thing I do like about Unique is that it takes up quite some volume so a double-charge is literally impossible - perfect for a newb.

Yes that is true about Unique. Of the 3 I mentioned I would recommend CFE Pistol since it will fill the case slightly more than Titegroup and 231. Doesn't burn as hot either if that matters to you. I use Vihtavuori N320 for 9mm and it's burn rate is about the same as Titegroup but doesn't burn as hot or dirty as Titegroup. Pricy but it's clean and meters well in my powder measure.

Do any of the measure manufactures give a powder drop consistency %
There's always a powder that will give you fits.
I only have the hornady, Lee disc and Lee auto drum to compare. All 3 have some powders they don't play well with and all took a bit of a learning curve to find the sweet spots and powder.
The throw of the lever does help although finding that throw that works is key.
My hornady I found does not like the solid mount.
It does better mounted to the flats piece of steel it came with clamped to the edge of the bench. The little extra bounce and the solid stroke from stop to stop of the handle has pretty much eliminated my off throws.
Also the standard drum works better than the pistol drum?

Back
Top Bottom