• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

inconsistent powder charge

Okay guys, bear with me on this one:

I'm setting up my first reloading press (Dillon 650) for the first time, to load .45ACP. I'm at the stage where I'm adjusting the powder measure. My first charge was 5.9 grains, exactly the suggested starting measurement for the cartridge I'm loading. The next one was 6.0, then 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.1, 6.0, 6.2, etc, etc.

Is this kind on inconsistency normal? Like I said, this is my first time reloading, and I'm awfully paranoid. I know the various measurements are all within the specs for the cartridge (max load is 6.6 gr), but I'm still concerned with such a variation (4 grains within a 7 grain range).

Any idea how I can get this thing loading more consistently???

Be consistent with how you pull the handle up and down. That is important with any powder measure, even the super expensive culver benchrest types. Some powders drop better than others since it is getting dropped by volume. A .2 range is normal. It could shrink as you get more consistent. Also, when you are going for a target weight, find it by throwing 5-10 charges and taking the average. Don't stress it, many people load successfully for precision in rifle and pistol with those measures.

It may need some break-in as well. On www.nationalmatch.us forum there is a thread about polishing up the Dillon measures. I tried it on one of mine and it was easy. Look around on the www.brianenos.com forum too, tons of Dillon info there.

When I set up my measure, Dillon, Lyman, or RCBS, I take the average of 10 charges as the set weight and keep it at least a couple 1/10s under the max charge. Different powders will tend to give better or worse accurracy with each different measure. Small charges of pistol powders will have a greater percentage of error than larger charges for rifle. +/- 0.2 gr is not an unusually large variation and there are so many other variables that it will probably not show at all in terms of accuracy or pressure.
Ball powders seem to flow better through most powder measures than extruded or flake powders. However, the numbers of reloaders that cocntinue to use many different types of powders for pistol loading would seem to indicate that these small variations that you are seeing are probably not a significant problem.

Did you disassemble the powder drop and clean with alcohol? Sometimes oils used for preventing rust in storage can cause inconsistent readings. Clean it good.

Be consistent with how you pull the handle up and down. That is important with any powder measure, even the super expensive culver benchrest types. Some powders drop better than others since it is getting dropped by volume. A .2 range is normal. It could shrink as you get more consistent. Also, when you are going for a target weight, find it by throwing 5-10 charges and taking the average. Don't stress it, many people load successfully for precision in rifle and pistol with those measures.

It may need some break-in as well. On www.nationalmatch.us forum there is a thread about polishing up the Dillon measures. I tried it on one of mine and it was easy. Look around on the www.brianenos.com forum too, tons of Dillon info there.

+1 plus, throw about ten charges without weighing and dump them back in the hopper to allow the powder to settle in the measure. After that check your weights. Dillon will tell you their units are designed to be used while you are standing so the stroke is uniform.

I bought my Dillon SDB well well well used and broken in. It throws charges that are indistinguishable on my Lee scale. Try cleaning the measure with rubbing alcohol (higher alcohol content will dry faster). Unique should meter well.

I used Unique for 45ACP early on. Ive now use Power Pistol as it meters better than Unique, although Unique is a great powder for 45ACP. Best...

Back
Top Bottom