In your world is there any such thing as too cold to shoot???

I've personally shot in weather that was below freezing, took a training class with over a foot of snow on the range where part of the training was prone and have gone so far as to shoot in a snowstorm. You know what I like best about shooting in the cold? Nobody is ever at the range. I typically have the place to myself. Maybe it'll change when I get older, but for now I love shooting in cold weather. Extra bonus when shooting in the snow. Though when shooting at longer distances I can definitely see a POI difference over warm weather shooting. Come on snow!!!

Yes, I'm wearing gloves. It was 11 degrees that day.

chZXp50.jpg
Shooting in the cold / winter? Love it and made it a bit of a tradition to support it the last few years:

Winter Warrior 2021-2022 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

c855322ceca274a36c88d96fd77bfd68.jpg

I did a quick test of AR lubes for sub-zero weather and can confirm that RemOil turns to gum below approx 13F. Marvel Mystery Oil is GTG.

My coldest so far is a minus 7F range day and I posted a target with a M1 Garand. I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the Garands and they run just fine with that at temps below zero F.

12 degrees for one of the Winter Warrior targets that I shot last year. Not too bad for a couple of magazines, I couldn't imagine actually fighting in those conditions.

"Trap shooters are rugged, not bright," has long been one of my mantras.

We've had New Years Day shoots where it was -5F in the clubhouse, before the stove was fired up....and it took 2 hours to get it livable!

I think that since I've been feeling the cold for the past year, I may not wear shorts on this Jan 1. But, I'm not bright, so....

The weather is never too cold for shooting.

I can be too cold to shoot well, but never too cold to shoot.

I had three years of training at Graf, Vilseck, Hohenfels, and Wildflecken. We trained in the same conditions as we expected a Soviet invasion would be most likely.

Adjust your lube for the conditions.

I shot a IDPA in January or February 5 or 6 years ago with @ntassel. It was damn cold. Snow was just starting on the first stage. By the end of the match there was 6"+ on the ground. We were all laughing and it was a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Same here.. Ever since Aaaaaarmy training in Denmark where I almost got frostbite, my hands have not been the same. No gloves will keep them warm and shooting is basically just sitting still unless you are doing drills or something so I get colder faster. The rest of my body is fine, but once my hands get cold there is nothing I can do to warm them up besides sit in the car or by a heat source.

I just hope when the SHTF it is Summer, Spring or Fall otherwise I am fooked :)
Just blowing thru 2 cases of gold tiger was the shit when that was 220 for 2 cases

The Snowball PRS match last January up in Littleton, NH was -28°F before windchill when we rolled up. Warmed up to a high of 9°F that day and everyone was walking around in hoodies. We shot USPSA in a near hurricane at Hopkinton and I was the last shooter before they cancelled the match. IMO, every situation is just another experience to add to the memories and hopefully I learned a couple lessons along the way. If there's a match I want to shoot, I don't care about the conditions, I'll shoot it.

20220122_112839.jpg

Regular range days, though? meh. I shoot enough that I'm prob not going to bother if the weather will make it unenjoyable.

The Snowball PRS match last January up in Littleton, NH was -28°F before windchill when we rolled up. Warmed up to a high of 9°F that day and everyone was walking around in hoodies. We shot USPSA in a near hurricane at Hopkinton and I was the last shooter before they cancelled the match. IMO, every situation is just another experience to add to the memories and hopefully I learned a couple lessons along the way. If there's a match I want to shoot, I don't care about the conditions, I'll shoot it.

View attachment 690031

Regular range days, though? meh. I shoot enough that I'm prob not going to bother if the weather will make it unenjoyable.
Love Littleton! Did you stop at Schilling brewery after?

Love Littleton! Did you stop at Schilling brewery after?
no, that trip was a quick up and back. we were exhausted afterwards.

This pic was on a different trip up there for a 2day match. We didn’t want pizza so we skipped Schilling but Schilling is on the left.
20211015_181852.jpg

A frozen lake and you've got the Chosin... 🤔

1669254692579.png

Back
Top Bottom