In your world is there any such thing as too cold to shoot???

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I've personally shot in weather that was below freezing, took a training class with over a foot of snow on the range where part of the training was prone and have gone so far as to shoot in a snowstorm. You know what I like best about shooting in the cold? Nobody is ever at the range. I typically have the place to myself. Maybe it'll change when I get older, but for now I love shooting in cold weather. Extra bonus when shooting in the snow. Though when shooting at longer distances I can definitely see a POI difference over warm weather shooting. Come on snow!!!

Yes, I'm wearing gloves. It was 11 degrees that day.

chZXp50.jpg

I didn't remember you at the Athol Appleseed Shoot in 2009 @Rockrivr1... were you there?

Yes, that was over a foot of crusty snow there. I taught, didn't shoot. And I have to admit that the circulation (or lack thereof) in my hands really doesn't let me enjoy winter shooting.

View attachment 689847View attachment 689848

Yep, I was there on the far left. You may remember that in the club house you were asking me if my pants were waterproof and made for motorcycle riding. I was pretty much the only one there with an AR.

Yep, I was there on the far left. You may remember that in the club house you were asking me if my pants were waterproof and made for motorcycle riding. I was pretty much the only one there with an AR.
That's coming back vaguely now... almost 14 years ago now. Wow.

I ran into a junior trap team from Alaska at one of the national championships and the coach told me their tradition of a New Year's day shoot. The only problem was semi auto's as the grease and lube tended to freeze at -20 deg F but other than that is was good to go each year.

me? not so much....

In your world is there any such thing as too cold to shoot???​

Nah. It was kinda chilly this past weekend. I wore long pants and a couple of layers to the outlaw match I shot. Got laughed at by my friends because for many of them it was the first time they'd seen me in long pants, (as opposed to the shorts and flipflops I'm wearing right now).

What's that white shit in the OP's post?

Below freezing and sunny, not a big deal but overcast and windy, I am home by the fire.

When I first really got into shooting, nothing short of the range being closed on Easter and Christmas Day stopped me.. Now? Sheeeeeeeit... If it is really nice out, I am riding my bike. Spending the day at the range when it is really nice out is kind of a wasted day for me now. I was at the range last Thursday or Friday to zero an ACRO P2 for my AR, that was the first time at the range in months. It was kinda cold, and I was scared, took about 10 rounds to zero the P2 and I was gone in about 30 minutes lol

I would hate to be someone who only got into shooting in the last 10 years or so, ammo cost is insane and hampers real fun like mag dumps and loading up 1k rounds for a weekend of shooting, then stopping by WalMart on the way home and buying 1k rounds of 9 for $100 or so. It was a LOT more fun going to the range when ammo was cheap, one of the main reasons I don't shoot much anymore, just too expensive to replace the ammo I shoot.

I would meet a bunch of friends at the range, so it was more a social thing than actually shooting. I don't think anyone misses me at the range anyway :(

And I have to admit that the circulation (or lack thereof) in my hands really doesn't let me enjoy winter shooting.
Same here.. Ever since Aaaaaarmy training in Denmark where I almost got frostbite, my hands have not been the same. No gloves will keep them warm and shooting is basically just sitting still unless you are doing drills or something so I get colder faster. The rest of my body is fine, but once my hands get cold there is nothing I can do to warm them up besides sit in the car or by a heat source.

I just hope when the SHTF it is Summer, Spring or Fall otherwise I am fooked :)

The very first straight 25 I shot in skeet was on a cold February evening at Hopkinton. They used the snow-blower to clear the paths & pads of the 2 feet of snow that had recently fallen. In that type of conditions we were bundled up and there was hardly any chatter. It made concentrating on the targets that much easier. I am usually just enjoying the social aspect of the clay sports, but not that night. I just remember repeating my mantra in my head "see the bird. Hit the bird" over and over.

I'm pretty hardy and have plenty of natural insulation which also helps. Hell I put over 220 miles on the Harley yesterday. ;)

Took my father in law shooting over the Christmas holiday week about 5 years ago. 25 yard range at Harvard while it was in the single digits. We only shot for a couple hours thour, so it was a short trip.

Keeping my hands warm for very long can be a challenge, but I don't usually skip on account of temperature if I want to go very much at all, and lots of wind just makes me stick to handguns. The dexterity requirements of fixed magazine firearms are glove-limiting (obviously others, too, if using just one mag, like my CZ rimfire rifles). If it's really cold, the clock is ticking.

I do most of my shooting on weekday mornings when it's cold, the weather is shitty, or both. This usually guarantees that I have the range to myself and can jog down range after each group when zeroing my rifles. My cheap Chinese spotting scope broke and I haven't ponied up the money for a good one yet.

Back
Top Bottom