in the market for a shotgun

My wife struck out buying me stuff this year for christmas. I went over the top and got her a bunch of stuff she didn't need but wanted. Now she feels bad and told me she wants to get me something I've been wanting for a while[smile]. I told her I've been wanting a shotgun for some time now. We went to a few places yesterday coming back to MA from NH. Stopped at Skips Guns in Bristol and they had a pretty wide variety of shotguns but nothing I was falling in love with. I've used 12 ga pump action quite a few times shooting skeet and am looking for something reliable and affordable to shoot skeet and trap at my gun club (andover) and to also start bird hunting. I was thinking a Rem. 870 pump action or Mossburg 500. Any other suggestions? I was hoping to keep it under $300 and have no problem buying used.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

My wife struck out buying me stuff this year for christmas. I went over the top and got her a bunch of stuff she didn't need but wanted. Now she feels bad and told me she wants to get me something I've been wanting for a while[smile]. I told her I've been wanting a shotgun for some time now. We went to a few places yesterday coming back to MA from NH. Stopped at Skips Guns in Bristol and they had a pretty wide variety of shotguns but nothing I was falling in love with. I've used 12 ga pump action quite a few times shooting skeet and am looking for something reliable and affordable to shoot skeet and trap at my gun club (andover) and to also start bird hunting. I was thinking a Rem. 870 pump action or Mossburg 500. Any other suggestions? I was hoping to keep it under $300 and have no problem buying used.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Looks like you answered your own question. You won't regret either and with that budget that's exactly what you should be looking at. Get something with choke tubes and maybe a ventilated rib barrel. As for used, You can pick up an Ithaca Model 37 for that but most of the old ones don't accept 3" shells. Depending on what type of bird hunting that may be something you are looking for.

Only thing to do is make sure it fits you.

If you'v eshot Skeet, you probably know what I'm referring to, but....take it from me....no fit, not hit.

And you'll feel it more, too.

All things being equal, I'd persoanlly go with the 870 - they hold up, they hold value, there is a lot of parts out there to modify/customize it with.

Go GREEN, and post in teh classified a Wanted to Buy, and see what shows up.

good hunting.

I'd go 590 instead of the 500, just for the higher capacity and the possibility to extend it even more, which is not possible with a 500. Or a nice over-under, if the 590 is too killy.

I'd go 590 instead of the 500, just for the higher capacity and the possibility to extend it even more, which is not possible with a 500. Or a nice over-under, if the 590 is too killy.

It is out of his budget and for Skeet and Bird hunting, he is better off staying away from any tactical or short barrel models.

I'd look at browning BPS it's a great gun for trap and skeet. They have beautiful wood. It's a bird gun.

I love my 500. The 870 is awsome too. Its personal preference of what YOU like. Ask to use someone elses gun at your club and go from there. Good luck and have fun!

If money is tight, I would recommend a New England Firearms Pardner 20 gauge single shot. One can be had for <$100, and they are quite fun. They are a very simple, sturdy gun. Not much can go wrong, and they are suitable for turkey and small game if you are so inclined.

Mossberg 835 with a full choke, shoots any size shell and is reliable. Buy a slug barrel and u get everything you would ever need

To all the people who always suggest an 870. Keep in mind the whole world isn't right handed. The 870 MAY be perfect if you are right handed.

To all the people who always suggest an 870. Keep in mind the whole world isn't right handed. The 870 MAY be perfect if you are right handed.

or not perfect at all. i am a righty and i hated the position of the controls, all of 'em.

500/590 is where it is at in my opinion. i had a 870 and sold it, kept my 500 which i later traded in on a 590. love the 590 and stuck a goddamn knife on the end of it. how could you not want to do that?!

I'm gonna head up to my club this week and hope someone has a 500 or 590 I can try out. I'm pretty gamiliar with the 870. I appriciate all the hints and tips...I think I'll just splurge on the aa-12 though, I mean why not?!!

Honestly, it all really comes down to getting accustomed to the shotgun you own. I use a 12 gauge Winchester Ranger 120 pump. I got it used for less than $200 and it works great for me. I just had to get a couple choke tubes off Ebay and I was good to go. It is very versatile for hunting and for trap. The 28 inch ribbed barrel with a full choke will virtually disintegrate clays. It fits me fine and I even added a Limbsaver recoil pad for extended shooting sessions. I can shoot full powered slugs without flinching and no soreness whatsoever. If you know the gun, you will get good with it. New or used, cheap or expensive, it doesn't really matter. Just keep shooting! You can miss just as easily with a $20,000 Krieghoff, or an old school $100 JC Higgins from Sears. Buy what you can easily afford, and take the time to practice. Whatever your choice, enjoy your new shotgun! Good luck!

So what about us lefties? Is the 500 better? I'm not really in the market for a shotgun at the moment, but I'm always curious to learn more.

If you buy an 870 buy used. The new stuff coming out of remington is shit. Ive traded several 870s due to issues and my buddy bought a new one for his son that fxcked up immediately. BPS is a great pump as is the benelli nova. Cannot beat an old model 12 or ithaca 37 either. Nova is the easiest to detail strip and clean. No experience with the new mossys but ive always stayed away from them.

I bought a 500 a little over 10 years ago. It holds 7+1. Does the 590 hold more shells or do all new 500's hold less?

So what about us lefties? Is the 500 better? I'm not really in the market for a shotgun at the moment, but I'm always curious to learn more.

I own both an 870 and a 500. Though a righty, I would not think that a standard 500 would be much different than an 870 for you. The safety on the 500 is located on the top of the firearm and would be accessible to either a righty or lefty, which likely would be a bit easier for you to operate. The issue that still remains is that both guns load from the right side, and therefore eject from that side. (Which poses problems for a southpaw.)

If not mistaken, I believe that you can order a left handed shotgun from Mossberg, which will correct these issues for you. I have not heard of Remmington having one however.

To answer the original poster: you are doing the right thing trying them both. I prefer my 870 as the tolerances seem a bit tighter and there is less play in the fore end. However, I like the fact that the Mossberg will drop a shell out if you rack it poorly allowing you to simple rack again. The 870 has a gate that can trap shells and cause jams in my experience. That being said, I have only seen these jams from user error and would not hesitate to depend on either gun in a life threatening situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom