In the market for a new CCW

Hello All,

I know this has been done to death but...

I am looking to get a carry pistol, auto loader. I have a G20 but I am starting to think that even with the right holster it will be uncomfortable and heavy to pack daily. I am fond of 10MM and 45 ACP. These rounds have been my most comfortable. I worry about the power of the 9mm (and availability) and the .40SW is a bit jerky in my experience which is funny because I love the 10MM. I am open minded but I also hike a lot too so some penetration is important to me. If I did meet a bear or something rabid I'd like to be able to let it know its been stung and not that I just tangled it fur. I have always wanted a 1911 but being from Mass my choices are pricey and extremely limited. I am 6'4 and stout carrying evidence of more beer than miles in the midsection which has proven a disadvantage for the necessary IWB carry. I am the first to admit even with practice I am not a crack shot so a really short barrel won't really work for me. I think I need to go thinner of the frame rather than shorter.

PS can normal semi .45s handle .45acp +p or is that a wheely round?

Thanks,

Whats a Flotter?

I have heard the Delta Elite, though beautiful and not to be kicked out of bed, can not except high pressure rounds due to lack of case support. Most of my inventory is Underwood.

Carry gun and caliber has been beaten to death, dragged through the streets and thrown in a ditch and then some.

WTBS
I wouldn't discount a 9mm against the two legged vermin. For Hiking that could be a tough call, I wouldn't want anything less than a .357 revolver or .45 pistol, but I'll defer to the outdoor types on that.

But always try before you buy to make it fits you and are comfortable with it.

This is completely different than the other threads because it is me specific. [smile]

I am kind of important to myself.

I have trouble sighting SIGs... maybe i need to practice on one more. It's expensive to keep renting though.

Flotter is a user name of a seller in the classifieds. Lot's of rare and expensive stuff. I got my XDs from him. Love it as an EDC.

This is completely different than the other threads because it is me specific. [smile]

I am kind of important to myself.

I have trouble sighting SIGs... maybe i need to practice on one more. It's expensive to keep renting though.
I get it because that's me with blocks. You could always go the rough that bob6180 said if you want to go with .357 Sig...or you could do a barrel swap on a glock 22 which are cheap and plentiful in mass.

That or an M&P 40c - you can get a .357 Sig barrel for $90 from Brownells and the magazines can hold either round

What are you people talking about - .45 ACP is good to go against grizzly bear all day long. Or so I've read here on a few occasions.

I carry a Kahr PM9. I appreciate its lite weight and its small size. Attributes that I would not under estimate the value of. As others have said - 9mm is okay against 2 legged animals. Is it the best for the job? Nope. But you said you're looking for a carry gun - not a rifle.

If I see a Grizzly in New England, I'll let you know. I am more concerned with sick animals and two legged asses than bears. .45s are classic.

A P220 isn't really smaller than my G20.

Back
Top Bottom