In search of a tavor

Not sure if they still have them but I believe Pullamn Arms and The Gun Parlor both stocked the Tavor. I personally wouldn't buy a firearm from Cabelas as they aren't a gunshop and probably stock the "compliant" model..... DONT buy a complaint model as its a generic model made to satisfy political morons in many states so not only does it come with a 10 round mag, it comes with a pinned and welded Barrel exertion that makes it longer to satisfy the minimum length requirements of some other states (not needed in MA ). $2k is just about full retail for a Tavor as well.... If you get a standard 16" model all there is to make it compliant in MA is pinned non flash hider so it a very easy gun to convert.

I really like my Tavor. I use to believe it was an end all replacement for an AR.... While that was probably over the top, I still view it as my personal favorite firearm for anything requiring a really compact gun. It pretty accurate out to 300 yards (perhaps farther, but I have never used my Tavor past that) The Trigger sucks. I haven't upgraded the trigger yet, but I have removed the second return spring from the trigger pack and lubed the trigger pick with Brian Enos "Slide Glide" which made a substantial differemce. Keep in mind that "substantial difference" now feels about as good as a crappy AR trigger.

Best of luck

MFS has been advertising them recently for <$1800. I haven't been over there in a few months, so I don't know if they have one on hand right now, but it's probably worth checking.

I've seen one recently at B&K Sales, don't recall price.

I saw one posted at Braintree R&P for a lot less than I've seen anywhere else (or mentioned above).

Not sure if they still have them but I believe Pullamn Arms and The Gun Parlor both stocked the Tavor. I personally wouldn't buy a firearm from Cabelas as they aren't a gunshop and probably stock the "compliant" model..... DONT buy a complaint model as its a generic model made to satisfy political morons in many states so not only does it come with a 10 round mag, it comes with a pinned and welded Barrel exertion that makes it longer to satisfy the minimum length requirements of some other states (not needed in MA ). $2k is just about full retail for a Tavor as well.... If you get a standard 16" model all there is to make it compliant in MA is pinned non flash hider so it a very easy gun to convert.

I really like my Tavor. I use to believe it was an end all replacement for an AR.... While that was probably over the top, I still view it as my personal favorite firearm for anything requiring a really compact gun. It pretty accurate out to 300 yards (perhaps farther, but I have never used my Tavor past that) The Trigger sucks. I haven't upgraded the trigger yet, but I have removed the second return spring from the trigger pack and lubed the trigger pick with Brian Enos "Slide Glide" which made a substantial differemce. Keep in mind that "substantial difference" now feels about as good as a crappy AR trigger.

Best of luck

I've installed the Giessle Super Sabra trigger pack and trigger bow which has brought my Tavor to a near match grade trigger. [smile]

I've installed the Giessle Super Sabra trigger pack and trigger bow which has brought my Tavor to a near match grade trigger. [smile]

Agreed, an aftermarket trigger pack makes a huge difference. I went with a Shooting Sight TAV-D, but the Geissele is great too. As long as you don't go near the Timney pack, you'll be happier with your trigger.

OP, agree take your business to local shops not fudd-land cabelas.

there are a few ways to get a MA-legal tavor:

1. buy the ban-state compliant tavor. this one has a long compensator comes directly from IWI factory pinned and welded. this is the model that MFS sells. it has an 18" barrel w long ass compensator to achieve some overall length I forgot the measurement. the downside is the gun is longer. the upside is you've got more barrel so will achieve higher velocities. this is also the cheapest way to get a tavor. you can always get yourself a 16" barrel down the road and have a comp pinned to it, then shorten the OAL if you like.

2. buy a standard 16" model and have a comp pinned and welded. this is good if you want a shorter overall rifle.

3. some dealers are selling the tavor w a flash hider under the claim that the tavor doesn't have a pistol grip. i'm not here to offer legal advice by saying this is kosher or not kosher. my personal feeling on this is that i prefer to play it safe and have a comp pinned/welded. i have not done this route.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much for the help!!! Have a few phone calls to make its been a while since I have been posting here happy to see the forum has not changed

OP, agree take your business to local shops not fudd-land cabelas.

there are a few ways to get a MA-legal tavor:

1. buy the ban-state compliant tavor. this one has a long compensator comes directly from IWI factory pinned and welded. this is the model that MFS sells. it has an 18" barrel w long ass compensator to achieve some overall length I forgot the measurement. the downside is the gun is longer. the upside is you've got more barrel so will achieve higher velocities. this is also the cheapest way to get a tavor. you can always get yourself a 16" barrel down the road and have a comp pinned to it, then shorten the OAL if you like.

2. buy a standard 16" model and have a comp pinned and welded. this is good if you want a shorter overall rifle.

3. some dealers are selling the tavor w a flash hider under the claim that the tavor doesn't have a pistol grip. i'm not here to offer legal advice by saying this is kosher or not kosher. my personal feeling on this is that i prefer to play it safe and have a comp pinned/welded. i have not done this route.

Rep points inbound for working "kosher" into a Tavor thread

Four Seasons Woburn says they have one on their used page. Looks like someone already posted this info

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom