• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In need of a safe, current Winchester died

Can't even get the door open. Keypad died with door closed. Warming up the angle grinder
Dude don't destroy it. Anybody with some hand tools a drill, and half a brain can break into one of those safes without an angle grinder. Look it up on youtube. Open it and put a new lock on it. Pretty simple to do.

You store your guns and ammo in separate places? Intruder breaks in, you open your safe, get a gun, go back to the bedroom where the ammo is?

Ammo stored in a safe can blow up like a 15 kiloton hydrogen bomb in a fire. ( sarcasm/ exaggeration)
I store ammo in a locking cabinet, but have plenty of loaded mags in my safe. HD gun sits in a handgun safe bolted to the night stand. ( Which coincendently was the biggest argument my wife and I ever had when I started to drill holes into the brand new furniture she had delivered.)

Nightstand.JPG

Last edited:
You store your guns and ammo in separate places? Intruder breaks in, you open your safe, get a gun, go back to the bedroom where the ammo is?
Why do you think those pressure cooker bombs worked so well.

Take however many guns you think you need in a safe and double it.

- Coming from someone who didn’t follow that advice, and while loves the safe he has, regrets not going up a size.

Can't even get the door open. Keypad died with door closed. Warming up the angle grinder
I would suggest you see if you can scrounge up or borrow another keypad as that is sometimes the failure point. A next step is get a Taylor Security Phoenix digital lock manipulation unit - but you have to set up a locksmithing company to be able to buy one then cough up aboud $3K.

IF you can get it open, a Big Red or S&G should do the trick - but make sure you get the correct bolt type (swingbolt and drawbolts are both common, but not interchangeable).

A pro can probably open the safe with minimal and repairable damage, but at the price point of your current safe it may not be worthwhile.

Have the same safe. My keypad died inside three months and I immediately went to a dial made by SG. All on Winchesters dime. Locksmith came to house. You might be out of warranty, but I'd buy a dial before a new safe and put the rest of the cash towards overpriced ammo

While channeling Lucky from Bad Santa might seem like a fun idea in this case, it also might be fairly dangerous. I would reach out to another NES member for their safe guy contact. Also, totally nice name and welcome to NES.

There may be a hole for a key behind the keypad. I have a Winchester safe and can open with a key if the pad goes down. You have to get the key from Winchester.

There may be a hole for a key behind the keypad. I have a Winchester safe and can open with a key if the pad goes down. You have to get the key from Winchester.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I thought those TS Winchester safes came with a key. The new ones do, for sure, or so the website says.

I had the same issue last year on my American Eagle. It was 15 years old and the electronic lock quit. Switched to mechanical lock a bit slower to open but reliable as heck. I was told by technician electronic locks all fail at some point. The components such chips etc just quit. Cost me $150 and well worth it. Eastern Security did the work great guys. I had bought it from them originally.

If you use a mechanical pull-off from a safe that was "upgraded" to electronic, use (or insist your installer) use a new spline key. Do not attempt to pull out the old one and reuse it.

When I was shopping for a large gun safe I didn't like the idea of needing to get it delivered or needing to move a huge and heavy safe into my house and back out again if I move. So I bought two safes that I could move myself. Then I bolted them together and to the floor. Was about the same price as the large safe I was looking at but more easily moveable when the time comes.

Poop.
Subscribed.
I have the identical safe from the identical time period.
I've gone through a few 9V's so far but that's it.
Now I'm scared. Do I take care of this BEFORE it goes?
:confused:

Poop.
Subscribed.
I have the identical safe from the identical time period.
I've gone through a few 9V's so far but that's it.
Now I'm scared. Do I take care of this BEFORE it goes?
:confused:

Yes. It’s only a matter of time. This is why I went mechanical with my safe.

I Believe I have the TS 24

There is no Winchester TS 24 to the best of my knowledge. The model names are a little funky, the TS 22 actually holds 24 firearms according to the specifications. There should be a sticker on the inside edge of the door with the model and serial number.

Safe.png

I wish I could be of more help. My TS 22 still has the original lock and keypad and I am getting concerned about it failing due to the age. Mine was purchased in 2013. I ordered the S&G Lock from Amazon. As soon as it arrives I have a friend who is a locksmith and he is going to change the lock for me. I'll have more specific data at that point in time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom