In memory:

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
This past Father's Day I learned that my biological mother passed away a year ago this coming July 15 just a few days shy of her 58th birthday and it's been an emotional few days. She did marry (not my biological father) and raise two sons neither of which know about me. It was her wish and I respected it.

Anyway, I wrote this and I'm going to run it in her small town paper on July 15.

In Memory:

The greatest woman I never knew…

…Was called away, by God one year ago this very day.

I met you briefly some forty years ago,
I was much too young to remember, but this day I’m sure you know.

Our journeys took us off in separate ways, our choices are oft not ours to make,
Though, we lived our lives in different places, the bond we shared they could not break.

Then came a day as it always does, He crossed our paths again and time stood still.
On a warm sunny morning, an answered prayer, a day that I treasure and always will.

And, though that meeting was to be our last it was enough to know,
You had given me the greatest gift you could ever give some forty years ago.

You gave me life.

Love, your son.

Tony,
I am truly sorry for your loss! Please accept my condolences.
Your poem is very deep.

Adam

Thanks, everyone. I called the local paper and emailed the text. There seems to be some concern as to whether they will print it even though I want it kept anonymous.

Their town has less than 2,000 population so there's no telling what can of worms I'm liable to open.

Tony, sweetheart - I'm so sorry. BIG HUG (I know, you're a tough mahreen, but even tough guys need one every so often) And your tribute to your mom was truly beautiful. She would have been very pleased with that.

I don't make a lot of it, but I also happen to be Rev. Lynne - email me if you need to hun.

The deal is done and it will run in the July 15 edition of the local press. No telling what the fallout will be as it seems to have already garnered the attention of folks at the paper. It was apparently very moving to the nice lady on the phone and she offered to send me a copy when it's printed. I gratefully accepted her offer.

Like I said, this is a very small, predominantly Pentecostal, farming community and word spreads quicker than shit through a goose. There are many in her family that are not aware of me, yet.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Tony,

I'm sure it's a rough day for you since it's her yarzheit (anniversary of her death). Again, my sympathies. I know that even 20 years later, March 31st is a day I hate... my father's yarzheit.

Ross

Memorial day weekend is a hardone for me. My Dad passed away then 2 years ago,and Memorial Day I was flying out to WA state.

TonyD said:
Thanks guys. All's fine here. Just waiting to see what the reprecussion will be.

Tony, maybe I'm an innocent, or a romantic at heart, but I'm having a hard time imagining anything than shock ("I have a BROTHER???") and curiosity ("Why did she give him up/how do we get in touch with him?" - especially the second one).

Certainly those would be MY reactions... If someone told me that I had another brother I'd never known about, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get contact info... and hitting the web for Mapquest directions or airfare.

I hope that the reactions are good ones. Good luck, man.

Ross

Well, they don't know and this was not intended to inform them. I could do that directly at any time but her wishes was for me not to do so. As you can see, everything was kept anonymous. Those who already know will figure it out. One is out of state and never see it and the other probably won't realize unless someone on that side explains it.

MrsWildweasel said:
Dwarven,It doesn't always work that way. Speaking from experience.... [cry]

*hugs* Sorry to hear that...

As I said, I may be an innocent in some ways, still. Even though I fight with my sis and my mom on matters political, they're still family. Guess I got lucky; I can't imagine cutting off *any* of my relatives from contact (even though I've lost touch with some, it wasn't on purpose).

Oh... and it's pronounced "Dwarven One" - "dwarven" is an adjective referring to things that have to do with dwarves... :) Spelling it dwarven1 is a short hand, and the addition of the number at the end *really* cuts down on the spam that the dictionary attacks can generate.

Ross

Things were done differently way back when,it's not like today where there is much more open contact. Everyone wants to believe in happy endings,but it just doesn't always work out that way.

MrsWildweasel said:
Things were done differently way back when,it's not like today where there is much more open contact. Everyone wants to believe in happy endings,but it just doesn't always work out that way.

Yes I know that myself from personal experience. About 4 years ago my father found out he has another son from a woman he knew before my mother. His other son is 7 years older than me and is now a VERY bitter man. My father only found out because his other son's mother was very ill. My father met him and tried to have a relationship, but the bitterness and vile hate,accusations, and threats from his other son makes it so I will never know my brother.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom