In mass edc auto?

seanc

NES Member
Looking at the edc. Thread. With all of the changes and confusion and having head all sorts of conflicting info...

Is it legal in mass to carry an auto? Assuming the person in question is an ltc holder?
Thanks

No, not unless its like 1.5in or something stupid, someone will probably post the cite soon...

-Mike

I was recently told that an ltc covers/ preempted the “whosoever. Provided by law.” Of the statues.

I gather that is not correct?

LTCs don't cover knives at all, or "allow carry" of a knife under MGL in any way.

The only time an LTC really ever intersects with "knife law" in MA is if a town has a knife length ordinance (there are towns that have a civil infrac. for carrying knives over a certain length) at least one of these towns allow an LTC as an "exemption" to the ordinance. I want to say Worcester is the one with this
exemption.

-Mike

I don't worry about the legality of my pocketknife even 1% as much as we seem to worry about what makes this firearm more legal than that one in MA.

I once had a teacher tap my pocket clip with his pen and basically say just unclip it and drop it in your pocket.

That's the biggest deal anyone has ever made about my pocketknife, and I've had one in my pocket for the last 20 years.

How about "ballistic" knives...? [rofl2]

iu

How about "ballistic" knives...? [rofl2]

iu

Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife,

If I’m not mistaken in MA autos are ok to carry if you’re a full time first responder type (EMS/Fire/PD), active member of the military (Guard and Reserves included) or are a disabled person without the ability to use two hands to open a folding knife.

That was my understanding from some years ago. Honestly, and we’ve had this conversation before, an auto (OTF anyway) does not make a good EDC knife. Too unreliable. Purchase a good quality folder, it’ll always open when you need it too.

gerb1.jpg
They trust you with lead projectiles, but not ballistic knives.

I carry a P14 45 with 2 extra mags and they think I cannot carry a knife with a blade longer than 2" or 1.5" in some towns. Well the exception is if you are on the way to or from your employment or hobby where you use that knife. I am always on my way to or from my employment/hobby and I need the knife for shipping and package opening.

I have a decent collection of auto knives but rarely will I carry one. For the most part if I do, it's to a bbq or other event where it's only a cool factor thing to whip it out and play show & tell.

My favorite was bringing my 13" Italian stiletto switchblade to a cookout, and when a buddy asked if I had a knife on me to open up a package of hotdogs, I produced that thing and opened it up. Handed it to him and he was all "WTF?!!!!"

Back
Top Bottom