• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IN - Man Shoots Armed Would-Be Robber

Two brothers have been charged with an attack on a retired South Bend police officer outside his home that went wrong, authorities say, when the man shot one of the suspects.

>snip<

The shooting happened Thursday night outside the home of retired police Lt. John Collins on South Bend's west side, according to WSBT-TV and WNDU-TV.

The South Bend Tribune reported that a police affidavit said the retired officer told investigators he had just driven home after getting cash from an ATM. He was walking up the steps to his front door when he noticed a black SUV driving slowly past his house.

The SUV turned around and stopped in front of his house and a man holding a sawed-off shotgun jumped out and approached, according to the affidavit. Another man also got out of the vehicle.

The retired officer pulled his personal handgun from his coat pocket.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-in-retiredofficer-sh,0,6936697.story

Jesus, I was about a block away from there Thursday night. Everyone I spoke with it was a real crap area.

Now that I look at where this was, South Bend was one of the more humorous inadvertent detours on my trip across country. Missed the exit, got off on the very wrong one to try to get turned around, quickly found ourselves in a very wrong part of town. Police happened to pull up next to us at a red light, explained what happened and asked how to get back on the highway. We were told to "keep your doors locked, windows up, take a left here, go straight until you see the on-ramp, and DO NOT STOP for anyone no matter how they try to get you to stop. WE don't get out of our car in these blocks, so don't you and your nice family think about doing it."

Whenever I travel to a city I've never been to before, I have this uncanny knack for instantly finding the worst part of town.
It happened in Dallas, Atlanta and Phoenix.

The usual clues are the billboards advertising lawyers and Bail Bonds, and the prevalence Check Cashing stores on every block. [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom