In MA, are you limited to 4 personal transfer per year or 4 personal sales per year?

I am trying to understand the law surrounding FTF personal transfers on an FA10. As a MA resident, am I allowed only to be involved with 4 personal transfers per years or am I only allowed to be the seller in 4 personal transfers per year. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Curtis

You can only effectuate four FTF transfers per calendar year as the transferor (seller).

Acquisitions are unlimited.

How about registrations of guns previously acquired but kept out-of-state thus far? Is this considered a transfer from myself (limit 4) to myself (unlimited)?

You can only effectuate four FTF transfers per calendar year as the transferor (seller).

Acquisitions are unlimited.

By "calendar year" do you mean between January 1st and December 31st in which the number of sales would "reset" to four more? Or does it go from the date of your first transaction?

By "calendar year" do you mean between January 1st and December 31st in which the number of sales would "reset" to four more? Or does it go from the date of your first transaction?

Calendar year, and its also important to remember that any deals where you are selling via an FFL transfer WILL NOT count against this limit.

-Mike

SO IM ALLOWED 4 GUNS SALES TO OTHER PARTY AND 4 PURCHASES PRIVATE E-FA10 YES OR NO OR 4 TOTAL BUY OR SELL

What M1911 said... and this....

caps.jpg

You can only do four private sales by FA-10 per calender year.You can sell as many guns as you want threw a dealer,and you can buy as many guns as you want,but if you buy more than one gun from a dealer on the same day they have to report it.

...if you buy more than one gun from a dealer on the same day they have to report it.

This is applicable to handguns only.

Acquisition of two or more at one time, or within five consecutive business days, is reported (via form 3310.4).

SO IM ALLOWED 4 GUNS SALES TO OTHER PARTY AND 4 PURCHASES PRIVATE E-FA10 YES OR NO OR 4 TOTAL BUY OR SELL

STOP SHOUTING!

It's very simple:

1 - you can sell 4 (four) guns per calendar year on a FA-10 (FTF)
2 - after the 4 FTF, in that calendar year, you can still sell but they must go through a FFL
3 - you can buy as many friken guns as you can afford during the calendar year.

Got it?

Just to clarify, since this can be confusing - any guns that you transfer through a dealer do *NOT* count against your 4 per year. If you plan to sell a number of guns and some of them aren't on the MA approved list, you might want to transfer the ones that are through a dealer and do the rest using personal transfers, where the approved list doesn't apply.

(4) per Calendar Year - FA-10 - understood.

Do all sales by MA residents have to be to other MA residents ? What ID does the Buyer need to show ?

Does this apply to Longuns and Handguns ?

You can transfer a gun to a licensed dealer in any state; transfers from a MA resident to another individual require the recipient to be a MA resident according to federal law (thus requiring that both have the appropriate FID or LTC and file an FA10). Federal law requires that transfers to residents of another state go through a licensed dealer (any state in the case of a long gun; only in the recipient's residence state for a hand gun).

Ken

You can transfer a gun to a licensed dealer in any state; transfers from a MA resident to another individual require the recipient to be a MA resident according to federal law (thus requiring that both have the appropriate FID or LTC and file an FA10). Federal law requires that transfers to residents of another state go through a licensed dealer (any state in the case of a long gun; only in the recipient's residence state for a hand gun).

Ken

Thanks !

Ken

Do both the buyer and the seller need to submit an FA 10, or just the seller? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom