• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Impulse gun purchase?

I saw a S&W Model 66 in Pete's today. It was a 4" instead of 3, though, and newer than I wanted. I want an older one. But I felt a tug like the tides. I also looked at a T/C Hotshot 22 in camo. Cute as a bugs ear and grandson-sized. I resisted once again. I left empty handed, and I just feel ... empty inside.

I'd like to think that all my purchases were well thought out and planned. But I am too honest for that. Are they impulse buys? hmmmm... first 2 were not well thought out, kind of bought cheap guns (Sigma and another cheapo S&W (99 maybe)). The next one was more planned as I had been researching costs (1911Sc - nice!) but walked in and got a good deal. AR-15, ordered on election day 2008. Husband was so concerned about Obama he told me to buy one while I could. Not exactly impulse because I had been doing my research. M&P's - 2 in one day and Sig Mosquito for my son's use - all in the same day - definitely an impulse to buy them all at once. 22 rifle was total impulse but short money.
G26 was not an impulse and I got a great deal from a NESer.

Okay, that means they were mostly impulses. But good impulses

Picked up an M1 Carbine (needed an IBM) from Mark & Jim at Zero Hour a week and a half ago. There was a problem with the safety (spring flipped over) so I brought it back the next day to have Mark take a look at it. He fixed the problem in about 5 minutes, which was just long enough to pick up another WWII era M1 Garand. What the F do I need another Garand for???

My last one was good. I took my son to FS. It was his first trip to the gun store. I went to buy him a 10-22. Left with a MP15-22, a Ruger .22 pistol and a 229.[dance] Ooops. I had planned on acquiring them all sooner or later, just not in one shot.

I swore my son to secrecy, so five after we get home the wife knows.[shocked] She asks "How much?" I say $600.

A month later she tells me the bank account is missing a thousand bucks. I swear that I told her $1600 a month ago, and that she can't be pissed about something that happened a month ago! And that I told her about! She mis-heard me!
Did I mention she is blonde?

I can't walk into a shop and leave empty handed. It's a sickness. A very serious condition

they put it in a cardboard box... [rofl]

[tinfoil] thank god for the gun laws of our state...

Yeah, I walked over to M&M when I bought the Mosin 91/30, I didn't even put in the forethought as to how I get it home without freaking a small population of Plymouth...

Luckily it had a box [smile]

I’m cold and calculating. I know what guns I want, for the most part, so if I see something at a good price/condition, I do some lightening fast calculations and have an inner “Yes...No...Yes...No...YES!” battle and pounce.

I’ve pounced many, many, many times...

Yeah, I walked over to M&M when I bought the Mosin 91/30, I didn't even put in the forethought as to how I get it home without freaking a small population of Plymouth...

Luckily it had a box [smile]

I felt that way the one time I went there and bought ammo. I bought a whole case, so it came in the box that had "SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION" stamped in big letters on every side. And, of course, with the shop being in downtown Plymouth....I had parked like a mile away from the shop [laugh] That was one uncomfortable walk.

Last impulse buy was a S&W 1911ES at Collectors (went in for ammo). Before that it was a Bushmaster ACR from the same shop. Come to think of it most of my purchases are impulse purchases :)

Yep... me too!

Pete's was my latest downfall... First Defense has snared me twice... I'm standing in front of Dennis while calling my wife: "Can't we delay paying the car payment?"
"No."
How about not buying any groceries for the next month?"
"No."
"OK, how much can I put down on it?"
"$200."
"Can I pick it up this Friday?"
You guessed it: "No."

[grin]

Picked up an M1 Carbine (needed an IBM) from Mark & Jim at Zero Hour a week and a half ago. There was a problem with the safety (spring flipped over) so I brought it back the next day to have Mark take a look at it. He fixed the problem in about 5 minutes, which was just long enough to pick up another WWII era M1 Garand. What the F do I need another Garand for???

You can never have enough Garands, shooting them is just fun.

Sounds like everyone got problem when stepping into a gunshop. I resisted to step into a gunshop. So I'm good. [rolleyes][rolleyes]

But the NES classified section got to me. [sad2][laugh] Maybe I should resist login on NES. [wink][wink][wink]

Is it impulse if you tell a dealer to "be on the lookout"? While buying my first gun, I casually mentioned to the dealer that he should let me know if he came across a Browning Hi-Power in .40. I didn't expect him to find it in a week. [wink]

Over the years there have been many, here are a few. A S&W 617, FN SLP, DSA heavy barrel FAL, unfired preban Colt detachable carry handle AR (still unfired), a pinned and recessed S&W 66 target, and a Larue upper. I'm sure there are more I'm just drawing a blank right now.

hmmmmm, well they're all impulse buys, a little voice gets in my head, quiet at first, but get's louder and louder.
*buy me,,, Buy Me,,, BUY ME!!!* [grin]
So the latest is the S&W Body Guard 380, yea I know it's a mouse gun but it still said - BUY ME!!! [smile]

I usually keep a few things in mind that I'm looking for, if they have one of the things on my list in the shop at a reasonable price I'll usually grab it. Kind of impulsive but I don't buy anything without researching first.

My most recent were a Ruger SR 22 and an M&P 15 FT. I justify it in my own mind thinking about BHO and his ilk...

My latest impulse....RIA Compact Officers

Buying anygun is impulsive for me just about. That's what makes it fun

Attachments

• 101_3795.jpg
    101_3795.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 19
Impulse ..... that's an understatement for me. I just got into guns the last 12 months... Although I had a jump start with 100 guns I inherited. I sold a bunch of them, lots of old military and went on an AR tear, bought like 6 AR's. Ordered an MP15-ORC, while waiting I was told about the pre-ban stuff... ended up making a deal for a NIB Colt pre-ban, got it and decided I couldn't shoot it. Found a PWA PB receiver on AR15, bought it to build my own, messing around on GB.com, bid on another Colt pre-ban, low balled it, to my surprise I won the auction.. About that time, my wife taped a note on my computor moniter... "if you promise to not buy any more guns, I won't buy anymore shoes"... hmmm, that was an easy choice.. :) Had been talking with an LEO from LA about an AE preban, ended up with that one... bought an MP15-22 for the wife, had to chill her out a bit... Then onto the hand gun tare... lets just say I now have all caliber M&P's.. had to have a couple of 1911 once I learned about them.. lately it's been revolvers... TRR 325, 638, ran into a guy with a SW500-4" with the Bear Emergency Survival Kit, he said he was gonna put it up for sale and ask around $1150, I told him I knew he had to pay about half of that and offered him a few more dollars than what I thought he paid, a lot less than what he was asking.... he said ok, it's yours.. shall I go on with more... 2 weeks ago in the S&W Retail store, I'm checking out the Bone Collecter, SW500, limited run gun... the salesman says it's the last one they had ... it's on layaway... I could go on, but I think you get it... been looking for a meeting for help.. can't find one... are their any 30 days programs I can attend.. does insurance cover the cost to be treated for this disease.. :) I like it.. oh ya, did I mention how I ended up with 2 PC 945's..... a Hi-Point 9mm carbine, 3 new shotguns, a TC muzzleloader.. I got it bad.. now I'm looking for reloader stufff.... what a surprise..

Impulse ..... that's an understatement for me. I just got into guns the last 12 months... Although I had a jump start with 100 guns I inherited. I sold a bunch of them, lots of old military and went on an AR tear, bought like 6 AR's. Ordered an MP15-ORC, while waiting I was told about the pre-ban stuff... ended up making a deal for a NIB Colt pre-ban, got it and decided I couldn't shoot it. Found a PWA PB receiver on AR15, bought it to build my own, messing around on GB.com, bid on another Colt pre-ban, low balled it, to my surprise I won the auction.. About that time, my wife taped a note on my computor moniter... "if you promise to not buy any more guns, I won't buy anymore shoes"... hmmm, that was an easy choice.. :) Had been talking with an LEO from LA about an AE preban, ended up with that one... bought an MP15-22 for the wife, had to chill her out a bit... Then onto the hand gun tare... lets just say I now have all caliber M&P's.. had to have a couple of 1911 once I learned about them.. lately it's been revolvers... TRR 325, 638, ran into a guy with a SW500-4" with the Bear Emergency Survival Kit, he said he was gonna put it up for sale and ask around $1150, I told him I knew he had to pay about half of that and offered him a few more dollars than what I thought he paid, a lot less than what he was asking.... he said ok, it's yours.. shall I go on with more... 2 weeks ago in the S&W Retail store, I'm checking out the Bone Collecter, SW500, limited run gun... the salesman says it's the last one they had ... it's on layaway... I could go on, but I think you get it... been looking for a meeting for help.. can't find one... are their any 30 days programs I can attend.. does insurance cover the cost to be treated for this disease.. :) I like it.. oh ya, did I mention how I ended up with 2 PC 945's..... a Hi-Point 9mm carbine, 3 new shotguns, a TC muzzleloader.. I got it bad.. now I'm looking for reloader stufff.... what a surprise..

Flotter is that you? [laugh] [rofl] [laugh2]

Welcome to the club. Go green (NES paid member) and come to a NES shoot (one in March another in April) and you'll see another couple 100 that you'll have to have! [rofl]

MP40c at FS. It just HAD to be in the same case as the PD I went there to look at. Figgured if one is good, two is better. Went home broker than I planned, and prefectly happy with that. lol

Back
Top Bottom