Impulse gun purchase?

Most of us have maybe done this, you're in a gun shop for ammo or supplies and while drooling all over the place you see that gun that seems to be calling to you....'take me home with you'.

You ask the sales person if you can take a look at it and you love it. Your mind is racing about the finances......hmm, put it on plastic the kids don't REALLY need winter clothes right now. I have to have this gun, just HAVE to have it, better buy it before someone else swoops in and grabs it. You buy it.

In my case it was a S&W Model 686 6" barrel. So what if I have a S&W Model 66 4" barrel, this will make a great addition!

Care to share your impulse gun purchase?

I drove up to MFLR (from Buzzards Bay) one day to meet up with a fellow NES'r and buy ammo. I spent about $600 there (planned). While I was driving back to Buzzards Bay, I suddenly remembered -- hey! ZHA is off this exit! So, I went to ZHA, was just poking around, next thing I know....I'm walking out the door with a Rem 870 with a SureFire fore-end. I got good deal on it, for sure....but damn that was one expensive day.

Every time a "new" Russian AKM parts kit becomes available, I am punching my credit card # into an online vendor's shopping cart checkout section and giggling with excitement.

Just did it two weeks in a row. I need an intervention, LOL!

First this:

1626e593.jpg

0c103e17.jpg

then this last week:

c8bab648.jpg

3a9b11a0.jpg

I think we all need to setup a support group for "Compulsive Firearm Acquisition". Groupbuy on "Intervention" required.

Hello everyone, my name is FLHTC and I'm a gun whore.

Yes I have been in that situation, I find that I don't need to go to a gun shop; I just need to look at the classified ads here or go Fours Season or collectors web sites to be seduced.

I buy guns that I like; they don't need to make sense to me or anyone else. I enjoy the art the mechanics and the visuals.
When I die I hope my wife doesn’t sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them; on second though bury me with my guns, where I’m going I’ll need them.

I drove up to MFLR (from Buzzards Bay) one day to meet up with a fellow NES'r and buy ammo. I spent about $600 there (planned). While I was driving back to Buzzards Bay, I suddenly remembered -- hey! ZHA is off this exit! So, I went to ZHA, was just poking around, next thing I know....I'm walking out the door with a Rem 870 with a SureFire fore-end. I got good deal on it, for sure....but damn that was one expensive day.

I bought a Remington 870 at ZHA totally on impulse. An ex PD firearm in very good shape. Well the metal was, I just had to refinish the furniture. The funny thing is that I went in there with a friend who is a long time gun owner and was curious to see what the shop looked like. I had zero intent on buying anything, but the price was right and I knew from past experience if I left it there to "think it over" for a day or so the best selection, if not all of them, would be gone. ZHA is a baaaaad place to wander in to "just to take a look around".

mossberg 500 persuader. was buying a box or two of ammo and was like "ah screw it, give me that shotgun over there, too."

mosin nagant M44 all-matching. shot weedwhacker's M44 at the independence day shoot a few years back and drove up to MFL and bought one as soon as i left the show so i could make my own beachball-sized fireballs at home.

Many years ago, I decided to divert my homeward commute and stop off at the Colman's Sporting Goods shop that was once located in Woburn, at Five Corners, to buy some cleaning stuff of which I was running low. In the display case was a Baby Browning, with nearly 100% finish and a price tag of $75. I asked the clerk (it was after hours; he was not a gun guy) if I could take a look. To the clerk's consternation, I field stripped the little pistol and confirmed that all numbers matched. To the clerk's relief, I re-assembled the little pistol and flopped down my credit card.

Many years ago, I decided to divert my homeward commute and stop off at the Colman's Sporting Goods shop that was once located in Woburn, at Five Corners, to buy some cleaning stuff of which I was running low. In the display case was a Baby Browning, with nearly 100% finish and a price tag of $75. I asked the clerk (it was after hours; he was not a gun guy) if I could take a look. To the clerk's consternation, I field stripped the little pistol and confirmed that all numbers matched. To the clerk's relief, I re-assembled the little pistol and flopped down my credit card.

I use to go there all the time! I think I single handily keep the gun dept. in business. [grin]

Hello everyone, my name is FLHTC and I'm a gun whore.

Yes I have been in that situation, I find that I don't need to go to a gun shop; I just need to look at the classified ads here or go Fours Season or collectors web sites to be seduced.

I buy guns that I like; they don't need to make sense to me or anyone else. I enjoy the art the mechanics and the visuals.
When I die I hope my wife doesn’t sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them; on second though bury me with my guns, where I’m going I’ll need them.

C&R is doing me in. Gunbroker and Four Seasons also.

Last edited:
Every time I go to m&m I walk out of there with a gun. Argentine mauser, Turkish mauser, Swedish mauser. The last time was a mosin nagant, my girl was there with me, and they convinced her of letting me buy it. Lol. They made her laugh.

Same thing with the sks, went in to get some .22lr ammo, walked out with .22 bullets, a yugo sks and 100 rounds of 7.62x39

My Pre-ban AR and my converted Saiga-762. They walked into the shop a few minutes before I got there and I knew that I had to make an offer. Funds were tight for a while, but it was worth it.

All of them, really...

My name is Rich and I have a problem...

I think we all need to setup a support group for "Compulsive Firearm Acquisition". Groupbuy on "Intervention" required.

Yup!

Most of mine run like this.

MANY of them at Four Seasons, different trips: S&W 1911, USP 40c (before the infamous List got published the first time), M1 Carbine, Russian SKS, G22, etc.

ZHA - Rem 870 Police Magnum, Bushmaster AR-15 in .22LR (mfd that way), etc.

Misc. others at other shops and on NES classifieds.

A little over a week ago I went to First Defense in Uxbridge to pick up my brand new S&W 629-6. It was sweet with an unfluted cylinder and 2.5" bbl. Just what I was looking for. As I'm waiting for the paperwork to clear I see in his case a S&W 629-2E with an unfluted cylinder and a 2.5" bbl. [shocked] Dennis told me it just came in the day before and was on consignment. I'm not even going to tell you what the price was. It was RIDICULOUSLY underpriced.

To make a long story short, an hour later I get in my car with two almost identical S&W 629s. One pre-lock, one post lock. [thinking][smile]

[rofl] i plan "most" of mine.... i'm a little behind thanks to impulse...

I'm definitely an obsessive buyer when it comes to planning/research. I'll have a list (in my head) of things that I am looking for or considering and I'll do the research ahead of time. Then when I see it in a shop for the right price it's still impulsive, but I won't be looking to sell it a few months down the road.

WAY too many to count.... Most of mine are a lot more planned now.

The worst one ever though was the AMT Back Up .380 DAO. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. It was something like "Oh this would be an OK pocket gun" ... yeah... .the road to hell is paved with good intentions..... [laugh]

The best one ever was my mutt gun.. Auto Ord 1911 with a Caspian slide and a Wilson barrel and comp, and a trashco pro point red dot. It looks like a POS (because someone put one of those crappy spray on finishes on it, like a poor version of cerakote) but it kills bowling pins pretty good. Whoever had paid to have it set up probably paid a lot more for all the crap he had done to it than I did for the whole
gun. [laugh]

-Mike

Walked into Village Sports in Westport just to wish everyone a good Chritmas. And wound up walking out with a cherry 686 6" . Talk about a good Christmas!

memorable "impulse" purchases in front of NES members

1. Becka - we were meat gazing @ collectors... walked out with a Remington 700 SPS

2. Lord of War (he was working) - walked out of Four Seasons with an AR... duplicate [rofl] it was priced way low... i always chuckle when i look at her because i haven't even shot her yet. my dad put one round through it though.

PK380
Mini-14
SKS (still in the box covered in cosmoline...haven't looked at it since I bought it)

shute, that's another one i forgot. met up with terraformer and paladin @ North Shore Firearms and got a PK380... which led to a rant. [rofl][rofl]

i think i need to retract my "planned" statement.

memorable "impulse" purchases in front of NES members

1. Becka - we were meat gazing @ collectors... walked out with a Remington 700 SPS

2. Lord of War (he was working) - walked out of Four Seasons with an AR... duplicate [rofl] it was priced way low... i always chuckle when i look at her because i haven't even shot her yet. my dad put one round through it though.

I remember that! Didn't it not even have a case?

Back
Top Bottom