• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Impulse Buyer Needs Advice

iofneedle

NES Member
Hopefully, my wife and I will receive our LTC-A in about a month. I am pretty once we hit the gun store...we will not be walking out empty handed. As a matter of fact I assume after four to six weeks I will have 3-4 pistols.

I am curious, if you could choice four pistols to start your "collection" what would they be? (Need to be legal to sell retail in MA and under $1000 for each gun)

Thanks!

If you're looking to spend thousands of dollars on pistols, do yourself a favor, and check out the NES classifieds for some really great deals on used firearms. You'll save plenty of money, and help out your fellow MA gun owners.

PS, can't go wrong with a Glock, Sigs, S&W M&P's, and a nice 1911.

Hey Chaser,

Range, HD and conceal carry...

I have large hands but my wife is five foot nothing with small hands..she has no issues shooting a Sig P226 though.

My prediction for the outcome of that strategy is that at least 2/4 will be sold within a year of purchase.

Knowing what I know now, if I could choose $4k worth of guns, I'd figure out what I really wanted regardless of what dealers in MA sell and figure out how to get them. Also, at least one would be a rifle.

Don't buy a gun because someone on NES told you to get it. However, listen to the advice and decide for yourself. The posts that are telling you to stick to the major manufactures and try guns and see what you like are spot on.

When you narrow it down publish your wish list and ask people for pro's cons etc.

Good luck

Last edited:
Don't buy a gun because someone on NES told you to get it. However, listen to the advice and decide for yourself. The posts that are telling you to stick to the major manufactures and try guns and see what you like are spot on.

When you narrow it down publish your wish list and ask people for pro's cons etc.

Good luck

Thanks Mike...just hoping to get suggestions to research and try out. I absolutely will publish my list and ask pro/cons.

Glock 19, Sig 229, S&W 686, S&W 41

Without knowing your needs this is a solid group of good handguns.

I have large hands but my wife is five foot nothing with small hands..she has no issues shooting a Sig P226 though.

Can she work the slide, slide release etc? My wife can shoot mine but can't work the slide or slide release. Four Seasons has a great deal right now on a Sig P238 Special Edition (comes with 7 rd mag, Hogue grip, holster etc). Your wife might like that.

Pistols can be a very personal preference. Please take advice others have given and go rent a group of pistols to see what works best for you and your wife. Just because you like does not mean she will, this was exactly what happened with my wife and I. You want to be comfortable and confident with your firearms.

My first purchase was a M&P 9, I loved it, she hated it. Her first purchase was a SR9c. Through practice and training we both shoot each gun pretty well now.

Also, consider a CCW course, like at Mass Firearms. Mac McQuarrie (sp?) really does a great job at going through firearms, holsters, EDC, tactics, weighing out your defense options, etc. helped us both out tremendously. Was fun to do as a couple as well.

There are four guns that everyone needs:
Rifle
Shotgun
Revolver
Semi Auto Pistol

Trust me no matter who you are if you are into guns at some point in your life you will need to own these four. Question is which brand, make or model.......that is like asking how long is a piece of string....The folks above who mention going to a range and trying out guns to see what you like are spot on as is the above statement of making a list and asking for pros and cons. Impulse buying of guns is about as bad a proposition as marring the first woman you date. Trust me I once bought a .25 auto on impulse.... Get some experience, do some research then buy, do not run out the minute you get your LTC and go on a shopping spree. If you have friends who shoot ask to try out a few of their guns and see what feels good and right. If not go to a range where you can rent and try...

With all that said if it were me these are the four you can't live without:
M1 Garand
Remington 870
Any S&W 357 wheel gun (Model 19 is my personal favorite)
Last but not least and haters beware....A Genuine 100% American made all metal Colt 1911 in 45acp
[smile]

Go to Mass Firearms School, rent time with an instructor (you don't have an LTC) and can try out all their stuff, find things you like and buy them.

http://www.massfirearmsschool.com

Hey Bob, wife and I had time with an instructor there last week. Tried out the HK USP 9mm and Sig P226. We go again next week. Think we might do the P229 and Ruger SR9.

My 4

1. 1911 variant ( i love 1911s )
2. Glock 19
3. a good .22 pistol ( i have a Walther P22, i dont mind it other than its small size )
4. maybe a revolver ( 357 mag )

My 4

1. 1911 variant ( i love 1911s )
2. Glock 19
3. a good .22 pistol ( i have a Walther P22, i dont mind it other than its small size )
4. maybe a revolver ( 357 mag )

Good selection. I'd swap out a MKIII or SR22 (or a .22 wheel gun?) for the P22, but otherwise this would start you out nicely.

Because I'm sentimental, I don't sell much of anything. My first purchases were a MKIII and Ruger SR9c. I'll never willfully part with either regardless of whether or not I shoot them. I regret neither purchase, though.

Rifle
Shotgun
Revolver
Semi Auto Pistol

Trust me no matter who you are if you are into guns at some point in your life you will need to own these four. Question is which brand, make or model.......that is like asking how long is a piece of string....The folks above who mention going to a range and trying out guns to see what you like are spot on as is the above statement of making a list and asking for pros and cons. Impulse buying of guns is about as bad a proposition as marring the first woman you date. Trust me I once bought a .25 auto on impulse.... Get some experience, do some research then buy, do not run out the minute you get your LTC and go on a shopping spree. If you have friends who shoot ask to try out a few of their guns and see what feels good and right. If not go to a range where you can rent and try...

M1 Garand
Remington 870
Last but not least and haters beware....A Genuine 100% American made all metal Colt 1911 in 45acp
[smile]

Spot on with rifle, revolver, semi auto, and shotgun. I would advise you really get some hands on whatever you want to but and learn what you shoot best/feels best. Hand size, preference on recoil, etc. Vary a lot person to person. I myself am in the market for a semi auto and can tell you everyone I ask had different answers.

My wife and I started shooting again a couple of years ago and I decided to assemble
a group of 22lr & 9mm items. We enjoy all of the following

sig 229 9mm with 22lr conversion kit
sig 938 9mm
Ruger single action convertible 9mm/357 (everyone needs a wheel gun)
Marlin 9mm carbine rifle

Henry 22lr goldenboy
Walther p22

Last edited:
I would suggest, 2 pistols a rifle and a shotgun. But for pistols I would go with a 1911 commander ( ruger/sw), glock 19, 22lr( lcr22, sr22) and maybe a subcompact 9mm.... Or get 3 and use the extra $$ on ammo, ammo and maybe a couple xtra mags

My only other thought is make sure you get something your wife likes so she will be happy with how much money you are going through in guns and ammo. Also get something she hates so you always have a gun that she can't shoot better than you. [wink]

Rifle
Shotgun
Revolver
Semi Auto Pistol

M1 Garand
Remington 870
[smile]

This needs to be repeated. You obviously have some $ saved up and good for you. Why 3-4 pistols?

The world is "questionable" at best right now. With the $ you are talking about spending in the next few months there are 5 things eveyr gun owner needs to be prepared:

1 self defense handgun
2 shotgun with short barrel for home defense and a 26 inch or longer barrel for hunting
3 22LR rifle
4 big bore.....like 7.62 X ** rifle
5 semi auto rifle chambered in 5.56.........yes I'm talking about an ar platform

why 3-4 handguns right off the bat? In all honesty you are making no sense to me with that goal.

Don't need four pistols...

Pistols:
1911 in .45 ACP
Ruger 22/45 with threaded barrel and iron sights (threaded barrel for when you move to a free state). Good training pistol, or to introduce complete noobs to shooting.
AR15 carbine (solid HD firearm)
Use the balance to get ammo and accessories for the above.

I had a Remington 870 shotgun, but sold it. Just not my thing.

I also have no love/interest in wheel guns. Don't have one in my collection, and don't intend to ever buy one.

If you're really set on getting four guns, then go to either MFL or MFS and rent, and shoot, a bunch to figure out what you like.

Save the 4 grand you were going to spend on the 4 and try and locate an Ed Brown 1911. You might have enough left for some ammo.

2 shotgun with short barrel for home defense and a 26 inch or longer barrel for hunting
why 3-4 handguns right off the bat? In all honesty you are making no sense to me with that goal.

If the world goes to sh1t, the animals and fish will be gone in like 3 days.

I agree though, you need some long guns before buying 4 pistols.

If the world goes to sh1t, the animals and fish will be gone in like 3 days.

I agree though, you need some long guns before buying 4 pistols.
\

I was not necessarily talking about "prepping" per se and sayin those 5 guns will save your ass in a post SHTF world. Guns are tools.....and IMO having these 5 "tools" is like having a full socket set. Buying 4 handguns right away is like buying a 4 full sets of "metric quarter inch drive" before buying any standard sockets. Just my 2 cents/

Last edited:
Some great advice. Try before you buy if you can. Save some money for a rifle too.

Back
Top Bottom