• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Importing Antique Rifles

A friend has what he described as some "very old rifles and shotguns" back on the family property in Italy. I believe they belonged to his grandfather, perhaps another generation back. He asked if I knew how he could get them here.
i certainly don't know but thought that someone here might have some advice.

He lives in MA.
Has an LTC.
Does not (yet) have a C&R.

Any thoughts?

IIRC there is a category of FFL who is a licensed importer.

Unsure if really antique (made 1898 or earlier) or just "old".

If truly antique I have no idea what the process for importation is. A "trip" to the ATF.gov site might get you where you need to be in any case.

For new or old guns, they have to be imported thru a Bonded Warehouse (not the MA type) to a US FFL, etc. and the fees are rather expensive ($200 minimum IIRC, but it is not per gun). If you know Carl (Four Seasons) you might ask him for contact info on a former employee who left FS to open an importing business. I can't recall the guy's name, it was a long time ago.

I was in a similar situation. I found that there are 3 options.

1. Get your C&R. Apply to import it yourself. Once approved, physically import it yourself.

2. Use the FFL list to find the importer who will handle it all for you.

3. Get your C&R. File the import paperwork. Once approved do all of the leg work with export fees, shipping, import fees, bonded warehouse fees,.....

#1is ideal if you can make it work. Otherwise, #2 is the best bet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I was in a similar situation. I found that there are 3 options.

1. Get your C&R. Apply to import it yourself. Once approved, physically import it yourself.

#1is ideal if you can make it work. Otherwise, #2 is the best bet.

just curious, do you mean that with a C&R and some paperwork you can bring them back in checked baggage? Its allways been my dream (when i Win the lotto) to visit the worlds S**Tholes and buy up the old guns dirt cheap and then sell them back here. Then stop by cuba and trade some new cars for some classics...

As it was explained to me:
1. a FFL is required to file import paperwork.
2. BATFE will usually allow a non importer FFL to do the occasional import of non military arms. The odds are 50/50.
3. The BATFE import approval takes 2-6 months.
4. To import any item exit fees and entrance fees are usually due to their respective countries.
5. The only thing you skip is the bonded warehouse.

This method works if you have the availability for the item to wait somewhere and you are making the trip.

yeah I was in London around 10 years ago, and there were some really cherry antique firearms at the antique shops, and really cheap at the time. stuff like old Spanish dueling pistols, etc. But I suspected getting them back to he USA would be a hassle. I guessed right.

I've been reading for some time about this in hopes I could figure out a way to get a tiger(sporter svd) imported or a few odd ball 54r bolt actions.

Sporting rifles and sporting shot guns, And stuff over 100 years old seem to be the ones us normal people can try to get imported.

If your military and over seas it's easier to bring back items and little more stream lined from what I've been reading.

Russian stuff is odd since there's a named list of what's allowed in.
Which I found out Winchester 1895 lever action 54r is on it .

Back
Top Bottom