• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Important Question.

Hey guys and gals.

So long story short, my aunt in Missouri is using a FFL there to ship my grandpa's .22 here to Massachusetts. Once it arrives, I'm going to pick it up.

It's a 50+ year old Mossberg .22

The only problem, is that it doesn't have a serial number, at least that's what my dad said. He also said that he thinks it was made before they gave out serial numbers, but I called BS on that one.

I need help! I don't want to accidentally become a felon or something. What should I do about it if in fact it doesn't have a serial number?

Thanks a ton! I appreciate it!

~Kyle

Lots of older firearms do not have serial numbers. Your dad is correct and you should probably apologize if you accused him of BSing.

Thanks a ton guys.

+ Don't worry I was only joking around with him. :)

So not having a serial isn't an issue? Good. I thought it was going to be a big deal.

Prior to the mandated serial numbers (1968) serial numbers were an internal company thing....this way, if it came back to the factory, or if there was a question about it, it was easy to reference the records.

This is why a Parker shotgun can be dated, and a Crescent Arms special, sold at Monkey Ward's, can't.....

On the FA-10 write "NSN", and you're done.

Thanks a ton guys.

+ Don't worry I was only joking around with him. :)

So not having a serial isn't an issue? Good. I thought it was going to be a big deal.

the wiki answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968#Marking_Requirements

Gun Control Act of 1968

The law also required that all newly-manufactured firearms produced by licensed manufacturers in the United States and imported into the United States bear a serial number. Firearms manufactured prior to the Gun Control Act and firearms manufactured by non-FFLs remain exempt from the serial number requirement. Defacement or removal of the serial number (if present) is a felony offense.

Back
Top Bottom