Important NRA Board of Directors election info

cstockwell

NES Member
I just received this from the guy who sponsored me for my NRA life membership. The video is old but still disturbing that he is on the board at the NRA and makes this comment. Just an FYI for all those who got their ballots in recently.

I am contacting you to ask your support in a matter. My records show that I was your sponsor for a life membership in the NRA. I do not plan on hounding anyone, but I cannot sit aside and not do anything, hence my plea to you:

It is that time of the year again. Time for the NRA Board of Directors election. Life members and annual members of 5 consecutive years are eligible to vote. your ballot should be in your magazine this month. Instead of insuring a certain candidate gets elected, we need to get one off!

Help me get this out. This year Joaquin Jackson is up for reelection on the NRA board of directors. In an interview he stated that he believes civilians should be limited to 5 round magazines. Sounds like a NY politician rather than someone we need fighting the Obama machine.

NRA board member Joaquin Jackson, the enemy with in - YouTube

Now the way the elections work is that 25 of the 28 are voted on. Normally in a strategy to get someone on, you would vote for that person alone, as a vote for others would dilute the effectiveness of your vote for the one candidate. In this case we need to vote for 25, and not vote for Jackson.

Please spread to NRA members you know!

Thanks for posting. I think its important that this guy isn't a bad guy, and he really isn't the enemy the way you would view a Barack Obama. He is simply of a different generation who views firearms and government in a much different way than we do today. I'm not going to defend his view, but even forty years ago when I started shooting (I must be in about the same age bracket as Sgt Jackson) there were no high capacity rifles out there readily available with the exception of the M1 Carbine. It's true that the Mini 14 was around and the Colt AR15 but AR15's cost a lot of money and were hard to get. Tubular magazine 22's were certainly available, but rifle shooters then fell into two groups: hunters and competitors. The idea of buying a modern AR type sporting rifle and just going out and burning up ammo was a totally alien concept. Casual plinking was done with a .22. A lot of people you call FUDDs aren't really the enemy, they just don't know any better. Consider that the most commonly available high capacity handgun was the Browning Hi-Power with a whopping 13 round magazine.

In a era when milsurps ruled the day., we liked Ike, and six shots was enough for anybody to carry in their revolver because semi-autos across the board weren't really that reliable (not even the venerable 1911, the first thing you did was take it to gunsmith and make sure it fed okay, my shooting friends said I was crazy for carrying a S&W Model 39, because everybody knows "those automatics jam and what do you need nine shots for?") and modern ammunition hadn't been invented yet (that came along with Lee Juras and Super-Vel in the early 70's) the scene was much different. You owned a rifle to hunt or compete in NRA style competitions and to hunt you shouldn't need more than one or two rounds to the job.

Fast forward to today: it isn't the 1950's, 60's or 70's. Guns are better, people who own modern sporting rifles of the AR variety don't hunt or compete in traditional NRA type competitions. Back when we trusted government (remember the Greatest Generation and the generation after them grew up in the Great Depression and venerated the New Deal and then became the great victors or WWII and we were the great superpower of the west) were taught to respect the police, venerate the military, believe their politicians, and obey their teachers. I don't know Joaquin Jackson personally, but he is a retired Texas Ranger, and the Rangers are an elite force. Chances are if he hadn't made that remark about assault rifles you would probably want to sit down and talk with him about his career.

It's too late for men like Sgt Jackson, but before you go all ballistic on somebody like him, remember that he was standing up for your 2A Rights before you were even born. Don't vote for the man, but show him a little respect. He is not your enemy, he is a man who has views from a time when America was a lot different and an America that most of you will never know. To be sure, it was a more racist and sexist America, but for many it was a much better country than what any of you will ever experience, ask your fathers or grandfathers, I know because I was there.

Last edited:
Great explanation but it goes both ways. I have owned black high capacity firearms for 25 years. I am not a hunter. I do not understand how a grown adult can derive pleasure from killing a non invasive creature with no intent to harvest the meat and call that sport. Yet I would gladly stand and fight for the right to continue this behavior because I am a gun owner who is interested in preserving ALL rights to use and own. Not just my own. That is the difference between me and these ****hole fudds you speak of.

Great explanation but it goes both ways. I have owned black high capacity firearms for 25 years. I am not a hunter. I do not understand how a grown adult can derive pleasure from killing a non invasive creature with no intent to harvest the meat and call that sport. Yet I would gladly stand and fight for the right to continue this behavior because I am a gun owner who is interested in preserving ALL rights to use and own. Not just my own. That is the difference between me and these ****hole fudds you speak of.

This. ^^

Excellent words Mark056. Truth is we want the FUDDS on our side because there is strength in numbers. I don't own a .50 BMG but the thought of it being illegal to own is absurd! So I'll fight to keep it legal because even though I don't shoot one doesn't mean someone else doesn't. This is the type of understanding I'd like to see from the FUDDs. Any ideas on making them understand this and us better?

I just fill out my ballot. It will go into the mail tomorrow. I was sure not to vote for this man. I was sure to vote for the maximum 25 votes and excluded him. It was actually fun to vote for Ted Nugent for something.

I'm the opposite, I'm glad to vote against the draft dodging Ted Nugent, and lets not forget, he wanted $40K from the organizers of the second amendment march in DC several years ago.

Vote Willie Robertson (Duck Dynasty/Duck Commander/Buck Commander). He's on the ballot I hear. Guy hunts snakes with a g21. He's one of us, for sure

The fix is in. All but one of the candidates are "nominating committee" approved and on the "winning team" members are told to vote for. Winning an NRA seat without committee endorsement is about a likely as taking the corner office on Beacon Hill via a thrid party ticket.

So, I took the ballot, found the one candidate the leadership was not trying to grease the skids for, and bullet voted for that one candidate.

Vote Willie Robertson (Duck Dynasty/Duck Commander/Buck Commander). He's on the ballot I hear. Guy hunts snakes with a g21. He's one of us, for sure
This is symptomatic of the mindset of America - "celebrity" status gives one instant credibility. Persons with a solid record of 2A activism (think powerhouses like Yacino, Wallace, Carlton, Bolioli, etc.) would not have a prayer of nominating committee endorsement but if you star in a reality show - get, that's the kind of brainpower we obviously need leading the NRA.

Last edited:
So are there any "recommended" people to vote for in this election?

I got my magazine the other day - and I was wondering this when I saw this thread.

I just don't know enough about a lot of the people listed there to know whom to vote for.

Thanks for posting. I think its important that this guy isn't a bad guy, and he really isn't the enemy the way you would view a Barack Obama. He is simply of a different generation who views firearms and government in a much different way than we do today. I'm not going to defend his view, but even forty years ago when I started shooting (I must be in about the same age bracket as Sgt Jackson) there were no high capacity rifles out there readily available with the exception of the M1 Carbine. It's true that the Mini 14 was around and the Colt AR15 but AR15's cost a lot of money and were hard to get. Tubular magazine 22's were certainly available, but rifle shooters then fell into two groups: hunters and competitors. The idea of buying a modern AR type sporting rifle and just going out and burning up ammo was a totally alien concept. Casual plinking was done with a .22. A lot of people you call FUDDs aren't really the enemy, they just don't know any better. Consider that the most commonly available high capacity handgun was the Browning Hi-Power with a whopping 13 round magazine.

In a era when milsurps ruled the day., we liked Ike, and six shots was enough for anybody to carry in their revolver because semi-autos across the board weren't really that reliable (not even the venerable 1911, the first thing you did was take it to gunsmith and make sure it fed okay, my shooting friends said I was crazy for carrying a S&W Model 39, because everybody knows "those automatics jam and what do you need nine shots for?") and modern ammunition hadn't been invented yet (that came along with Lee Juras and Super-Vel in the early 70's) the scene was much different. You owned a rifle to hunt or compete in NRA style competitions and to hunt you shouldn't need more than one or two rounds to the job.

Fast forward to today: it isn't the 1950's, 60's or 70's. Guns are better, people who own modern sporting rifles of the AR variety don't hunt or compete in traditional NRA type competitions. Back when we trusted government (remember the Greatest Generation and the generation after them grew up in the Great Depression and venerated the New Deal and then became the great victors or WWII and we were the great superpower of the west) were taught to respect the police, venerate the military, believe their politicians, and obey their teachers. I don't know Joaquin Jackson personally, but he is a retired Texas Ranger, and the Rangers are an elite force. Chances are if he hadn't made that remark about assault rifles you would probably want to sit down and talk with him about his career.

It's too late for men like Sgt Jackson, but before you go all ballistic on somebody like him, remember that he was standing up for your 2A Rights before you were even born. Don't vote for the man, but show him a little respect. He is not your enemy, he is a man who has views from a time when America was a lot different and an America that most of you will never know. To be sure, it was a more racist and sexist America, but for many it was a much better country than what any of you will ever experience, ask your fathers or grandfathers, I know because I was there.

I get what you're saying. But I still think that Sgt. Jackson is losing sight of the fundamentals. His logic is dangerously close to the logic used by the antis when they say stuff like "The 2nd amendment is about owning muskets - not nuclear weapons".

Used to be that wars were fought with single shot rifles -that you had to load a ball and powder into. Hunting rifles were pretty much the same thing. People probably used the very same rifles for hunting and military service in most instances.

As technology developed - we got repeating rifles. And people used these for hunting also. All the way up to the WW2 era - a hunting rifle and a military rifle were pretty much one and the same. Even after WW2 people treated milsurp rifles as perfect candidates to make into hunting rifles. I have a (butchered) Johnson 1941 rifle in my safe - that has turned into a hunting rifle. Lots of people did this to Garands after WW2 - 1903's - 1917's , Mausers, etc. The only military rifles that people seemed to shy away from were BAR's and M1 carbines. And honestly - I think a lot of this just had to do with the psychology of the people who came back from WW2. A lot of the combat soldiers had been thru hell on earth in that war - and even hardened foot soldiers often have a sort of psychological after effect where they reject the tools of the trade they once practiced - it's a way of distancing themselves from the crap they had to go thru.

None of this changes the underlying logic of the 2nd amendment: and that is and was - that the "people" should be armed in a comparable manner to the government.

In days gone by that meant rifles that were very similar to if not exactly like hunting rifles. These days - it means AR's and AK's and FAL's and Barrett's and 50BMG and all of that.

Mr. Jackson seems to have lost sight of that truth.

That's one of the things that really peeves me off about the "Fudds". They bitch and moan and come dangerously close to being full-on antis when they get talking about "black rifles" - yet the stats show that you're more likely to get killed by a murderer with a hammer or by lightning - than you are by a black rifle. AND - the Fudds are the ones who are actually out there KILLING STUFF.

It's a massive case of do what I say - not what I do. They're possibly even more hypocritical than the antis' are. At least a lot of the antis are the "don't kill a blade of grass " types. I don't agree with them - and I think they are dangerously unrealistic. But a Fudd who defends a "hobby" that involves killing things - and then bitches about my black rifles - is a twat.

Last edited:
The fix is in. All but one of the candidates are "nominating committee" approved and on the "winning team" members are told to vote for. Winning an NRA seat without committee endorsement is about a likely as taking the corner office on Beacon Hill via a thrid party ticket.

So, I took the ballot, found the one candidate the leadership was not trying to grease the skids for, and bullet voted for that one candidate.

This is symptomatic of the mindset of America - "celebrity" status gives one instant credibility. Persons with a solid record of 2A activism (think powerhouses like Yacino, Wallace, Carlton, Bolioli, etc.) would not have a prayer of nominating committee endorsement but if you star in a reality show - get, that's the kind of brainpower we obviously need leading the NRA.

Rob, are there any names you recommend voting for? I recognized very few of the names and I don't want to vote for someone who is a FUDD or closet anti.

Back
Top Bottom