IMI 9mm UZI Model B Carbine Opinions

I've been working alot of OT lately & I recently had my birthday pass so I decided it's time for something new & different.
I enjoy collecting as well as shooting & have most of the regular or common firearms most of us have.
I have an opportunity to purchase a IMI UZI model B carbine with original Box, manuals, sling, collapsable & wooden stocks, .45 ACP conversion kit, extra mags, pouches.
I don't know a heck of alot about Uzi's but from the little bit of research I've done.

Pros:
It's in Ma. so no transfer fees.
It's pre ban & comes with tons of extras.
It's a model B that IMO has a few nice features over model A. (such as nicer sights & rear windage adj).
It's one of the easyest rifles to convert to SBR.
Lastly: Hell it's an UZI! Just plain cool.

Cons:
From what I've read it's a little on the heavy side.
It's a little under powered but it comes with the conversion kit.
It's a few hundred dollars more than I'd like to spend but hobbies are expensive right?

Does anyone here have one of these or has experience with & perhaps has some opinions before I decide to purchase?

I have one....Buy it. If it's too heavy, go to the gym. If it's too underpowered, pull the trigger more and load it with Gold Dots. You can also buy a .357 Sig barrel for it for some additional yuk-yuks..There is no downside - it's an Uzi...

I have one in .45 and love shooting it. Mags on the .45 are ridiculously expensive. Not unusual for them to be in the $150-$200 range, depending on condition and capacity (10 or 16).

9mm mags are plentiful and cheap. They are a BLAST to shoot. If you bring friends to the range they LOVE the idea of shooting a real Uzi.

Do it!!!

I have one in .45 and love shooting it. Mags on the .45 are ridiculously expensive. Not unusual for them to be in the $150-$200 range, depending on condition and capacity (10 or 16).

9mm mags are plentiful and cheap. They are a BLAST to shoot. If you bring friends to the range they LOVE the idea of shooting a real Uzi.

Do it!!!
What he said. I also have one in .45 and am keeping an eye out for a 9mm conversion kit so I can shoot it more often. The mags for the .45's are like gold. As I've heard it since it is a relatively scarce caliber for the gun, no one makes an aftermarket mag. Olympic bought up a bunch of the originals back in the day and hacked them up to make mags for their .45 uppers.

@richc, does yours beat the hell out of the rim of the brass during ejection?

Do It!!!!

Due to MassMark's generosity I got to shoot his on a couple of different occasions. The UZI is what most pistol caliber carbines on the market wish they were. Just shooting his changed my mindset from "I'll never buy a PCC" to one of "If I ever have that much money burning a hole in my pocket, I'm buying an UZI!" [grin]

-Mike

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Nothing negative really, thats good.
I honestly believed people would be saying things like "for the money you could get this or that".
Seems to be a versatle little platform.
I did'nt realize there were so many caliber conversion kits and from different manufactures.
.357 sig huh? Well that would solve any penetration issues.
I'm still not 100% sure if it's still available but if it is & I go forward with the purchase I'll post some pics!

I honestly believed people would be saying things like "for the money you could get this or that".
It depends, hard to say with out knowing the price, if its a good price, get it, if its over priced then there are plenty of other options...
Cons:
...From what I've read it's a little on the heavy side...It's a few hundred dollars more than I'd like to spend but hobbies are expensive right?
Yep it is heavy...I prefer the size/weight of the mini-uzi over full size...if price is really a concern, have you looked at some of the other "uzi" options out there, Norinco, Vector, Century even has one now...

It depends, hard to say with out knowing the price, if its a good price, get it, if its over priced then there are plenty of other options...
Yep it is heavy...I prefer the size/weight of the mini-uzi over full size...if price is really a concern, have you looked at some of the other "uzi" options out there, Norinco, Vector, Century even has one now...

Well boys I found out Sunday the gun was sold about a month ago.[sad2] It was a friend of a friend thing.
The price tag was in the $1800 range. I know that's alot of money BUT it had the conversion kit $350-$500. a couple of .45 mags $300-$400. extra wood stock $?. & the rest of the works in mint cond.
Seems the average price of a Mint Uzi carbine is in the $1300-$1600 price range.
However the price does seem to vary quite a bit for unknown (to me) reasons. I've seen them range from $1200-$2200.
The model A's seem to be a few hundred more on average. I've read & heard conflicting stories on the first one's fireing from an open bolt before the Feds put a stop to it.
At this point I'm confused & don't quite know what to do.
All I know is I don't want to regret an impulsive purchase.
Anyone have any other suggestions for some sort of pre ban, folding, bayonet wielding, threaded, flash hiding form of bad assnes for 2K or less?

Anyone have any other suggestions for some sort of pre ban, folding, bayonet wielding, threaded, flash hiding form of bad assnes for 2K or less?
Only semi that I have sold, in which I regret selling was the mini-uzi...if you poke around you should find one for right around $2K...

PS. it all works out in the end 1800 is way to much to be paying for a full size semi "B" uzi...

We wll be receiving a Franken Uzi carbine this week and I will be making this gun Mass. AWB compliant.
If anyone is interested please call me at 413 579 1994
John

A 9mm Model B carbine can be had for reasonable money if you have patience. Since all ‘real’ IMI Uzi’s are preban (they stopped importing them a LONG time ago) you shouldn’t have trouble finding one. With that said, the .45 is gold and that’s why it fetches a real premium.

I am perfectly happy with my Action Arms Model B 9mm, but the .45 model is the icing on the cake.

Keep looking...I bought mine - literally new in the box for $1300.00 with 1k of ammo. There are Vectors out there and they are pretty nice, though post-sunset guns seemed to have issues. I hear they are making them again. Check GunBroker, etc as well. If you ever get out this way, (exit 2 on the pike) and want some trigger time, drop me a PM... IMI Model B is the way to go if you can find one...

If you are dying for a pistol caliber carbine, you can get a Colt Sporter 9mm for about the same price. Plus it's lighter and has the AR platform's modularity.
I shot a friend's Uzi and it's not something I would choose over a 9mm AR unless it's SBRD. Even then, UZI's biggest pro is the collectable/historical firearm.

If you are dying for a pistol caliber carbine, you can get a Colt Sporter 9mm for about the same price. Plus it's lighter and has the AR platform's modularity.
I shot a friend's Uzi and it's not something I would choose over a 9mm AR unless it's SBRD. Even then, UZI's biggest pro is the collectable/historical firearm.

No, I've got a mechtech G17 sub gun set up that will shoot circles around most 9mm AR's.
I was just being impulsive & wanted something different & collectable.
Think I'm going to invest my $ in something more practical.

Back
Top Bottom