Image URL's w/ Google Docs

Has anyone successfully inserted an image url using google docs? I see many people use photobucket, but I can't get it to work with google.

I understand that I can upload an attachment to NES and post a thumbnail but sometimes this is more convenient. When I insert a google docs url as an image I get this:

leaf

I could just insert the raw url, like this:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3h4xRzVToiaMmY4OTU3ODEtNzhjYy00OWU1LWI5NGUtMDkyMDhiYjIzOTM3&hl=en

But I'd rather just have it automatically render as an image like the people who use photobucket.

Thx

I did set the share to "public on the web", but when I tried to insert the url as an image, it doesn't render.

I did notice that your google docs url is different. Yours is "//lh5.googlusercontent.com/..." mine is "//docs.user.com/leaf?id=..."

???

Update: I went into the sharing settings and copy/pasted the "Paste this link in email or IM" option to get my url link. I think I know what you did. You created an image in google docs, opened the image, right clicked and selected "copy image url".

When I tried that and it worked, but only for the first image on the page. If you have multiple images, only the first image in the group will render. At least that is what happened when I tried it. All the images on that page when I use this method have the same url.

Last edited:
I did set the share to "public on the web", but when I tried to insert the url as an image, it doesn't render.

I did notice that your google docs url is different. Yours is "//lh5.googlusercontent.com/..." mine is "//docs.user.com/leaf?id=..."

???

While I'm in google and after I uploaded the image, I
1) click on the link to my uploaded image to view it
2) right-click on the image and select "copy image address" (in Opera)
in FireFox its "copy image location"
in IE your option may say something else, sorry I don't have IE on my system, so I can't tell you the exact wording

3) then I PASTE that url in the forum message, surrounded by the "IMG" BB code

Last edited:
Ok I am seeing alot of posts where I cannot see the image. It might be a setting in my PC or missing software.. I had to have Windows Vista reloaded from scratch on my pc last week, and since then I dont seem to be able to see most of the photos on threads on this forum. All I see is a small paper icon where I think the photo should be, a text ad for Google ads off to the right of that blank square, and text below that area from the poster. Any idea what I am missing for software or settings I may need to change?

Ok...this was working for awhile, but its not working well anymore because Google keeps changing the URL of the uploaded images. Is there a way to keep the URL of the images in my shared folder from changing?

Anyone else use Google docs seeing this? Any workarounds? Seems to only be an issue w/ recently uploaded pics.

BTW...this seems to have happened when Google initiated this change:

https://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=180199

Back
Top Bottom