I'm so proud of our State

the only downside is you probably have the greatest number of shovels, snowblowers, and plows per capita in the country as well.
I get it but, less municipalities per mile means overall less equipment. You'd be amazed by how many learn to drive on packed snow roads. Packed snow roads can be pretty darn smooth.

I get it but, less municipalities per mile means overall less equipment. You'd be amazed by how many learn to drive on packed snow roads. Packed snow roads can be pretty darn smooth.
It's interesting you mention this. Most of the roads are not plowed, or they get touched once then it just gets packed down by traffic. No slush, no disgusting dirty snow and quite smooth to drive on. Also, most of the time it doesn't freeze. People drive more carefully as well. They are not on your ass and they approach intersections with caution. The highway designs are much better. Lanes are wider and is designed for 80mph + speeds. The biggie is that the roads are much straighter and the curve much more subtle than what we are accustomed to in the east. What I have found is that these roads are much safer in winter conditions. When the roads aren't great, you are going slow, but slow is 55mph.

It's interesting you mention this. Most of the roads are not plowed, or they get touched once then it just gets packed down by traffic. No slush, no disgusting dirty snow and quite smooth to drive on. Also, most of the time it doesn't freeze. People drive more carefully as well. They are not on your ass and they approach intersections with caution. The highway designs are much better. Lanes are wider and is designed for 80mph + speeds. The biggie is that the roads are much straighter and the curve much more subtle than what we are accustomed to in the east. What I have found is that these roads are much safer in winter conditions. When the roads aren't great, you are going slow, but slow is 55mph.
Do they salt out there Pete? I'd guess no?

They do not. With all the rivers I'm guessing it's a big no no. Most they seem to do is toss some dirt down, and even that is only on road bends.
Yup......makes sense. No trout with salt in the rivers.

All we do is salt out here. We must have spread a shitload this year, we've had a lot of rain/snow/sleet that froze over after. After the christmas rainstorm and freezup after the roads dried it looked like the Bonneville salt flats out here. Yet 90% of drivers have an all wheel drive crossover (drgrant shitover) or 4x4 Truck now. Its rediculous. Back when I moved to North Central barely anyone had 4WD and the roads where no where near as salted and plowed.

Yup......makes sense. No trout with salt in the rivers.

All we do is salt out here. We must have spread a shitload this year, we've had a lot of rain/snow/sleet that froze over after. After the christmas rainstorm and freezup after the roads dried it looked like the Bonneville salt flats out here. Yet 90% of drivers have an all wheel drive crossover (drgrant shitover) or 4x4 Truck now. Its rediculous. Back when I moved to North Central barely anyone had 4WD and the roads where no where near as salted and plowed.
What real hit me about the damage we have done to the environment in Mass is the lack of aquatic insects and insects in general. Realized it when I moved out here. You flip a rock here in a river and it is loaded with larvae. Flip a rock in the Quinnipoxet in Mass.... nothing. Also when driving. In ten minutes my windshield is full of dead bugs here. I remember it being like that in Mass when I was a kid. Not anymore. Here we are worrying about cow farts. We have way bigger problems in dense populated areas to worry about. Nobody sees it though.

Montana regularly chipseals their roads for durability/repairs. It provides better traction at the cost of increase tire wear, rolling resistance (lower gas mileage) and road noise.

the only downside is you probably have the greatest number of shovels, snowblowers, and plows per capita in the country as well.

While its 75º already with 82º the high here in late JAN, I'll tell you what. When June hits and it's in the 90's with max humidity I can promise you I'd be wishing for a snow shovel and some snow to move around. I can still go outside when it's cold out. I can't really go outside with max temp, max humidity and max UV index.

If I had to choose one extreme it would be the MT version.

Sure. You can. But with enough traffic, it'll get REAL smooth REAL fast. As in - ice. Sand is more effective if you're not going to completely clear the road. If it's not getting to bare pavement, sand is 100x better than salt anyhow. The Northeast went to salt over sand as people just wanted a CLEAR road and thought that Black Ice was something the KKK thought up.

Back
Top Bottom