I'm not a cop hater, but...

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it should only be an Onion article, one of these days I'm almost half expecting to see a real article about someone in a situation like Stephen Hawking being wrestled to the ground for refusing orders to "get on the ground now", then getting arrested for the usual... resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer, etc.

I know it's absurd. And, I should not even be thinking something like that could happen. But, I guess we live in Clown World now, so anything is possible.
He's "in the ground now". [devil]

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think it is harsher to simply take his pension.
Much harsher.

Prison's no fun. But a day-to-day grind of trying to fund your existence for the rest of your life, deprived of the comfortable lifestyle and healthy retirement you were expecting, along with the despair of losing all that, the constant (if unspoken) blame from your wife and her family, the loathing from the community who used to give you deference and respect, the stress of how to pay off your civil judgement against your victim...

I like thinking about this dude having to deal with all that.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Much harsher.

Prison's no fun. But a day-to-day grind of trying to fund your existence for the rest of your life, deprived of the comfortable lifestyle and healthy retirement you were expecting, along with the despair of losing all that, the constant (if unspoken) blame from your wife and her family, the loathing from the community who used to give you deference and respect, the stress of how to pay off your civil judgement against your victim...

And I doubt he would see a very harsh penalty from criminal proceedings. I don't think he really caused much physical harm to the kid and would be surprised if he actually did jail time. I think what he did to this poor kid was actually far worse that he could be charged for.
I think justice would be served if the cop was fired and lost his pension, and the kid was awarded a large cash settlement. He would wake up everyday and go to his mundane job knowing what he lost because he is a f***ing moron who decided it would be a good idea to throw a quadrapelegic teen to the ground. I think more and more departments are becoming intolerant of this bs and hope that is the case here.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Contract-wise, though, loss of a pension might not be something the department can do absent a criminal conviction, firing for cause, that sort of thing. Depends what his contract says, and only his union rep can answer that one.

But yes. I agree that whatever punishment the criminal-justice system would dole out for this wouldn't really fit the crime.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
they should carry a dog collar and leash for these occasions or else the quadriplegics will be running amuck.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Much harsher.

I would think if they go to jail they also lose their pension. so double "whammy?" I have seen too many cops lose their pension and get fired, then they appeal and get the pension back and sometimes "back pay and promotions."

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I'm all for punishing people, but some of you guys act like these guys don't put their own money into pensions. If you're going to do something like that, then I think the solution is they are handed a check for what they put into the system, nothing more nothing less, and then shown the door with a summons or handcuffs. Now they have assets that the victim can sue for. Win/Win

I am not in a pension plan, so it's cool that the company steals my 401k contributions that I made because I did something bad in course of my duties?

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm all for punishing people, but some of you guys act like these guys don't put their own money into pensions. If you're going to do something like that, then I think the solution is they are handed a check for what they put into the system, nothing more nothing less, and then shown the door with a summons or handcuffs. Now they have assets that the victim can sue for. Win/Win

I am not in a pension plan, so it's cool that the company steals my 401k contributions that I made because I did something bad in course of my duties?
Incorrect - pension plans are defined benefit plans and requires no contributions from the employee. Public sector employees can pay into a 403(b) plan, which is akin to the corporate world’s version of a 401(k). Participants in a pension typically don’t have any at-risk amounts. Also, pensions are covered by the PBGC.

In both 403(b) and 401(k) plans, the contributor assumes risk as they’re directing their investment choices. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. Those plans are also tend to be in the hands of third party administrators so the employer can’t up and walk out with the money.

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Incorrect - pension plans are defined benefit plans and requires no contributions from the employee. Public sector employees can pay into a 403(b) plan, which is akin to the corporate world’s version of a 401(k). Participants in a pension typically don’t have any at-risk amounts. Also, pensions are covered by the PBGC.

In both 403(b) and 401(k) plans, the contributor assumes risk as they’re directing their investment choices. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. Those plans are also tend to be in the hands of third party administrators so the employer can’t up and walk out with the money.
Incorrect as far as Massachusetts goes. They contribute to pension plans.

Coda

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
63 yrs old and only ran into 1 a-hole police officer. (former) sgt. healy, hingham PD. he retired early and became a lawyer from what i hear
I am the same age as you and from my experience I must say you are one lucky dude. If I were you I would be buying a lottery ticket every day. ;)

GPP

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Ya, no. Youre silly.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I
And I doubt he would see a very harsh penalty from criminal proceedings. I don't think he really caused much physical harm to the kid and would be surprised if he actually did jail time. I think what he did to this poor kid was actually far worse that he could be charged for.
I think justice would be served if the cop was fired and lost his pension, and the kid was awarded a large cash settlement. He would wake up everyday and go to his mundane job knowing what he lost because he is a f***ing moron who decided it would be a good idea to throw a quadrapelegic teen to the ground. I think more and more departments are becoming intolerant of this bs and hope that is the case here.
I think as long as there is large funding,lawyers and unions to back the hacks along wit little to no personal accounatability/liability not much will change.
much like the sex abuse scandels of the catholic church. Just keep shuffling the bad apples around with the occasional proverbial hanging of one of there own.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm all for punishing people, but some of you guys act like these guys don't put their own money into pensions.
My understanding is that stripping a public sector pension in MA consists of removing the employers contribution, and the individual gets to keep what (s)he put in, possibly with investment gains (chances are the taxpayer indemnifies them from losses). Someone who really knows is welcome to further enlighten.

And before someone says I am wrong, parse the sentence carefully - it is tautalogicallly correct, though my understanding may be wrong.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let’s see the whole video before judgment.
That’s usually my line - because I do NOT trust the media. But - even if you did not watch the video that was undoubtedly carefully edited to make the officer look bad - the guy had no arms or legs. What was he going to do - bite him? Watch the video - that dude was going to run out of steam quick if he just let him vent. A lot of times angry people are like an untied balloon - they’ll fly all over the room, but lose air quick and they’re back to calm.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just don't get this whatsoever, like what the f*** is the guy going to do? Just let him roll around on the floor and have a temper tantrum
Exactly. Plain to see that old boy hasn’t done much cardio lately (he has a valid excuse, don’t get me wrong), he wouldn’t have kept up steam very long...

GPP

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am the same age as you and from my experience I must say you are one lucky dude. If I were you I would be buying a lottery ticket every day. ;)
Im just curious, how many times a year (on average obviously) do you interact with a cop? Im not talking about being married to one or working with one or working with a guy that knows a guy that got pulled over and the cop was a douche or knowing of a guy on MyFace that got slammed onto the floor etc etc.

GPP

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bi
My understanding is that stripping a public sector pension in MA consists of removing the employers contribution, and the individual gets to keep what (s)he put in, possibly with investment gains (chances are the taxpayer indemnifies them from losses). Someone who really knows is welcome to further enlighten.

And before someone says I am wrong, parse the sentence carefully - it is tautalogicallly correct, though my understanding may be wrong.
Bingo Rob

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That's why when faced with sure fire odds of being terminated, they'll put in their retirement papers before they get axed, and least
get the pension due according to age/time on the job.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
The problem in LE is they hire people based on tests and political hookups and if you play it well enough you can find yourself in a squad car with a badge, a lot of the people wearing said badge are complete tools and have never been punched in the face or had a beer at a keg party. You put these kids or guys in confrontations and they have zero communication skills on a street level and are pussys that overreact to stupid shit that could be handled much better than quickly going hands on.

Top Bottom