I'm looking for a good handgun cal carbine

I'm looking for a ma compliant 9mm carbine. I've only really seen the cx4 storm. Can anyone recommend a good one? I would consider building one as well.

Thanks!

Ruger PC9 or PC40. I own the PC9, but fair warning, for some weird reason the recoil is enough to loosen the Ruger scope mounts every few rounds!! I think Derek was the last person to shoot mine and it was the 1st NES Shoot back ~2005ish. I just haven't dealt with it since then.

They stopped making these carbines in 2006, but there are plenty of them out there in the market. Since they take the Ruger P-series (pistol) mags, there are also plenty of pre-ban hi-caps out there.

For half of te price of a baretta px4 storm you can get a High point carbine.. if you like the look of the PX4 you can buy a 9mm High Point and get the aftermarket ATI stock and it will look almost exactly like the Baretta. The ATI stock is only made for the 9MM now not the .40 or .CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! the carbine on the other hand is good.... if you have a glock, or a 1911 already you could go anoter route.... http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.php#

I love my Keltec Sub 2000 in 9mm. Available to receive Glock, Sig or S&W handgun mags...maybe more but I'm not up on it lately. Always fun to shoot and a looker that everyone at the range stops and stares when I grab my little case and unfold a rifle. [wink] A heck of a lot less expensive than the Beretta.

Try to find a used Marlin Camp 9 like I did. Handy gun and uses S&W Hi Cap mags.

DSC_2167.jpg

Last edited:
Ruger PC9 or PC40. I own the PC9, but fair warning, for some weird reason the recoil is enough to loosen the Ruger scope mounts every few rounds!! I think Derek was the last person to shoot mine and it was the 1st NES Shoot back ~2005ish. I just haven't dealt with it since then.

They stopped making these carbines in 2006, but there are plenty of them out there in the market. Since they take the Ruger P-series (pistol) mags, there are also plenty of pre-ban hi-caps out there.

I only shot a PC9 once, but I was surprised at how heavy it was for a pistol-cal carbine. I wasn't ready for the weight when he handed it to me.

Ive got a 9mm Hipoint. Its been good and reliable since I got it. I also saw an ad for used Ruger PC9's for $440 if your FFL will order one for ya. The Hipoint was $238 new. Not sure where your located, but your welcome to try my carbine sometime.

Just bought a CX4 great shooter, The wife shoots lefty, was a real quick swap for lefty and it uses all the 92FS mags I had kicking around. . Also there is another 9MM carbine made by a company in Isreal......... I think its called an UZI or something like that.

I really wanted to like the PC9 but I got one and the trigger was really just weird. Maybe some clever gunsmith could make it fun to shoot, but I was disappointed.

The m1 carbine is the perfect pistol caliber carbine for me.

Ammo is about the same price as 45 ACP now, it's not too bad.

I've got a PC4 and finding Ruger 40S&W mags is pretty tough. You can modify some aftermarket Beretta mags to fit though with a drill and file. Its a great rifle and very accurate with a dot but monuts have loosened on me since I've had it. No big deal as a keep the tool that came with the rings in a butt stock pouch that came with the rifle.

I also have a Sub2000 in 9mm and that's fun as well.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

You have already gotten some great responses, but I will throw in my .02. My wife has a Beretta Storm carbine in 9mm. She absolutely loves it. I put a Bushnell Trophy red dot on it and she can shoot a smiley face on a piece of paper at 50 yards. Feels like shooting a .22 and pre-ban high cap mags are relatively easy to come by. I find that hers is a little bit ammo picky and it must be kept meticulously clean to function properly. A bit pricey also. I have a Hi-Point .45 acp that I love. Reliable, accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I paid $278 new. However, it weighs 7 pounds (as does their 9mm) and you can only get 9 rd mags (10 in 9mm). Their are some aftermarket mags available for the 9mm that hold 15, but they are of questionable quality and certainly not pre-ban. Personally, if I were interested in a 9 mm carbine I would certainly take a hard look at the Keltec Sub2000. It is mid priced between the Hi-Point and the Beretta, can be configured to take Glock mags which are readily available preban in MA and only weighs 4 pounds. I have no direct experience with the Keltec carbine, but have owned a few of their handguns and they were very reliable. Reviews I have read of the Keltec have been positive.

I really like my CX4 in .45 ACP...also consider a lever gun. Rossi and Marlin both make lever guns in .357, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 LC also there are some '94 Winchesters floating around in revolver calibers in the used market. I have a Winchester '94 Trapper Model in .45 LC which is fun to shoot and light and easy to use....I used to have a Winchester Ranger (budget '94) in .44 Mag. Fun to shoot with .44 Spl, less fun recoil-wise with .44 Mag.

Henry also makes revolver caliber lever guns.

Thureon Defense now make models that accept Glock magazines

Never shot one but took a look at one at NorthShore Firearms ever the summer and they seem like a fun little gun

This looks interesting. Any idea on a price. I did recently pick up a sig 522 and it's been a blast to shoot! I would like something chambered in 9mm or 40. I really like that it takes the glock mags.

This looks interesting. Any idea on a price. I did recently pick up a sig 522 and it's been a blast to shoot! I would like something chambered in 9mm or 40. I really like that it takes the glock mags.

Their website has a raffle for one and lists it as "a $827.95 value", not sure if that is MSRP or real-world price though

Lone Wolf Dist has an AR stye lower that accepts glock mags. Looks more traditional than the thureon, accepts olympic uppers and standard AR parts. Very nice quality.

I say an old Marlin, new Rossi, or a Henry caliber of you choice. I have 'em in 22lr, 38spl/357mag, 45c, & 44mag. Levers are a joy to shoot. Btw the 38spl shot out of a lever feels & sounds like a 22lr.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:
Lone Wolf Dist has an AR stye lower that accepts glock mags. Looks more traditional than the thureon, accepts olympic uppers and standard AR parts. Very nice quality.

Believe it or not.... I know where those lowers come from and are assembled... you would be surprised.. and it ain't in Idaho.... [grin]

Believe it or not.... I know where those lowers come from and are assembled... you would be surprised.. and it ain't in Idaho.... [grin]

I held one of the first prototypes still "warm" off the CNC. Couldn't pry a "second" out of them so I'm working on a Cav arm conversion in 45acp DI.

Back
Top Bottom