I'm in love (with the new Springfield XDs)

I really, really want one of these. Hoping they're actually available in time to convince my wife to buy me one for an anniversary present.

The grip safety on the XD is a lot different from the one on the 1911. My gripe about the XD one is that it makes locking the slide back a pain if you aren't conscientious about hand position. it's a more conscious more than you need to do with a 1911. -Small gripe, not a big deal.

I shoot my cousins xd all the time. Never even noticed the grip safety. My wife has also shot it several times. Didn't mention the grip safety and was never an issue.

Last edited:
I shoot my cousins xd all the time. Never even noticed the grip safety. My wife has also shot it several times. Didn't mention the grip safety and was never an issue.

Try manipulating it one handed.

If you can maintain a proper firing grip on the gun, its a non-issue. As soon as you lose that perfect grip, you're screwed.

I'm still trying to figure out why people are goo goo for this gun but don't know what a glock 36 is.

I'm still trying to figure out why people are goo goo for this gun but don't know what a glock 36 is.

Because people love to reinvent the wheel? [laugh] To me it's just another subcompact .45 yawnfest.

-Mike

Glocks are great guns...but they look and feel like bricks. Some people like firearms that are more than just a tool, no matter how ideal it might be.

so, they like to show it to their friends and make a fashion statement?

The point of such a gun, one used as a CCW, is to function reliably, its not to look pretty. Unless you are the kind of dude that likes to pose for pics with your gun while trying to look gangsta.

I got a PPS. Not because I think its cute, but because it does its job. I do have to agree on the grip. The PPS is just a pleasure to hold.

Last edited:

The glock is still fat. Not as fat as a normal glock, but still fat. I tried to carry glocks since I shot IDPA with one. But could never get it to work with my dress.
I've since gone to Kahr for most of my carry needs. Nice and slim.

If this gun is as slim as a Kahr, with the great XD trigger, its a winner. By most accounts its actually slimmer than a kahr.

the other interesting thing is that based on videos from the shot show, it appears to be very controllable for such a small gun.
Go on youtube and look up "shooting my Kahr PM40" you will be treated to an unending list of videos showing people who can NOT handle that gun. It shifts in their hands, requiring them to regrip between shots. If you need to regrip between shots, you are better off going down in power or up in gun size.

I'm with Mike on this. It's a 45 that will be too small to shoot well.

This is my whole point.

If this gun is as controllable as it appears to be, it is something special. But again, I'm reserving all judgement until I shoot it.

I tried the P40 and P45. The gun shifted in my hand when I shot it. So I use the P9. Here is a vid of the first time I really shot it. Yes, I'm dog slow. Please don't judge me on that. I was learning the trigger and I didn't really know where the point of impact was w/respect to the sights. But do notice that the gun is well controlled and does not move in my hand.

If I can control the XDs nearly as well, I'm sold.

[video=youtube_share;oVn9UmWxzmE]http://youtu.be/oVn9UmWxzmE[/video]

Last edited:
Don't believe what I say anyway. I'm sure I'll end up getting one just to try it out. It's not like it's a bad investment

Not according to the review in Guns and Ammo

Lets wait till we see some real reviews. Unfortunately, I think gun reviews are an area where the amateurs do a better job than the pros. When was the last time you saw an unfavorable review in any gun rag?

In my mind, its all about taming the recoil impulse. If they can do that, its a winner. If they can't, then its no different from a chopped Kahr or Glock.

Lets wait till we see some real reviews. Unfortunately, I think gun reviews are an area where the amateurs do a better job than the pros. When was the last time you saw an unfavorable review in any gun rag?

In my mind, its all about taming the recoil impulse. If they can do that, its a winner. If they can't, then its no different from a chopped Kahr or Glock.

There are several youtube video reviews that are not done by "pros"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

There no videos on youtube of productionXDs done by normal gun guys that I can find. Can you provide a link?

The videos from SHOT are not of production guns. Also, we don't know what kind of ammunition they are using. They could be puffball loads. Again, nothing really matters until production guns and standard production ammo get into the hands of paying customers.

Last edited:
Not according to the review in Guns and Ammo

Guns and ammo reviews are mostly junk. Read their reviews on the Taurus Judge. According to them its the ultimate HD gun...when it really is a POS and useless HD gun. Its only good use might be as a snake gun or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom