• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm in big trouble

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Forgot to renew my Mass Fortune Teller's license with the town of Acton. Will send in the $2 today. In the meanwhile I'm afraid to tell even my own fortune for fear of being fined. There's no grace period and I can't even tell 4 fortunes FTF per year let alone work with a group of more than 10. Woe is me. Jack.

I thought you were joking when I read "fortune teller's license" but... there really is such a thing.

????

Why exactly is that licensed? To preserve quality? To make sure only "real" fortune tellers can work in the Commonwealth? Just think of the outcome if fake fortune tellers started putting up their shingles!

[URL="http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section185I"]Link[/URL]

No person shall tell fortunes for money unless a license therefor has been issued by the local licensing authority. Said license shall be granted only to applicants who have resided continuously in the city or town in which the license is sought for at least twelve months immediately preceding the date of the application. No such license shall be transferred or assigned. Unless otherwise established in a town by town meeting action and in a city by city council action, and in a town with no town meeting by town council action, by adoption of appropriate by-laws and ordinances to set such fees, the fee for each license granted under this section shall be two dollars, but in no event shall any such fee be greater than fifty dollars. Whoever tells fortunes for money unless licensed under this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars.

I thought you were joking when I read "fortune teller's license" but... there really is such a thing.

????

Why exactly is that licensed? To preserve quality? To make sure only "real" fortune tellers can work in the Commonwealth? Just think of the outcome if fake fortune tellers started putting up their shingles!
I don't tell fortunes. I got the license many years ago after listening to Gene Burns (radio talk show) telling how a woman in Norwood was denied by the selectmen. I wanted to see if a male in Acton could get the license just to see if the discrimination was sex or location. Jack.

Gene Burns..... one of the most talented talk radio hosts ever.... he was just canned by KGO-AM recently.

"I hereby predict that Massachusetts is screwed." I didn't have a license, so am I in trouble now?

What if I prophesy instead of tell fortunes? Am I okay then?

Shame on you, Jack. You'd better leave your crystal ball(s), Tarot cards, and Ouija board with a friend who is licensed until you get this corrected. You wouldn't want those items ending up in a bonded warehouse somewhere! Those warehouses aren't always very careful and you could end up with busted balls.

I don't tell fortunes. I got the license many years ago after listening to Gene Burns (radio talk show) telling how a woman in Norwood was denied by the selectmen. I wanted to see if a male in Acton could get the license just to see if the discrimination was sex or location. Jack.

Well, I gotta say, having read this I now want to get my fortune teller's license.

Jack,
Some time ago you told the story of how you got the license and how you renew it every year "...just to keep the shaft up their butts." {or something like that}. It was hysterical. Would you post a link to it?

Jack,
Some time ago you told the story of how you got the license and how you renew it every year "...just to keep the shaft up their butts." {or something like that}. It was hysterical. Would you post a link to it?
Would like to post the link, but not smart enough to do it. It's there somewhere. Also, I have to be careful because the Fortune Police may be watching. Jack.

You better not be in possession of large capacity crystal balls without a that license.

It is a felony.

They probably won't charge you though, unless you were committing a more serious crime.

Back
Top Bottom