• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm Converting my AR-15s to .22LR

Reptile

NES Member
My AR's are way to killy. I'm going to buy .22LR conversion uppers for all of them. Do I need to eFA10 them all with their new caliber? I want to comply with the law.

Maura would be proud of me!

I have a CMMG .22 upper for one of my lowers. But, it's really the BCG that makes it a .22, the lower is a multi-cal lower.

I think she will say once a AR always a AR , but yeah go ahead FA10 it .
I like my tactical solutions 22lr upper very much

Under HER guidance 22LR makes it not an AW but only if originally manufactured that way.

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/guns-that-are-not-assault-weapons.html

Read the above link. Built new 22LR good. Converted from something to 22LR bad.

Basis in actual law? None.

But it's all BS anyway because the aftermarket stuff uses a standard multi-cal lower. Some of them have a special hammer, but that's it. Everything to make it run as a .22LR is in the upper. I have a dedicated .22LR "AR". I can slap another upper on it and run .556 through it.

S&W's 15-22 is a different animal; it's manufactured specifically to run .22 and you can't swap out parts to make it run .223/.556.

But it's all BS anyway because the aftermarket stuff uses a standard multi-cal lower. Some of them have a special hammer, but that's it. Everything to make it run as a .22LR is in the upper. I have a dedicated .22LR "AR". I can slap another upper on it and run .556 through it.

S&W's 15-22 is a different animal; it's manufactured specifically to run .22 and you can't swap out parts to make it run .223/.556.

Of course it is all BS. The question is, according to HER guidance, what is the legality relative to 22LR and new builds and conversions. She lays it all out.

If you look at her guidance she calls out .17 and .22 as exempt yet NOTHING in the actual law does. Make sure you comply with the actual law on your 22LR and have at most one evil feature.

So in theory could mfg x, using a standard AR lower sell in MA provided it came from the factory with a dedicated .22lr upper 10 rd mags and no extra Killy evil features.

So in theory could mfg x, using a standard AR lower sell in MA provided it came from the factory with a dedicated .22lr upper 10 rd mags and no extra Killy evil features.

In "theory". If lower were marked "Caliber .22" - because every lower I've seen the caliber is marked, either .223, .223/556 or multi.
Sounds like it...

Then you could swap out the upper, 'cause the twist rate is different; maybe swap out the hammer, and be good to go...

And yeah, I'm not a lawyer and I don't have to deal with this BS so I'm definitely not your final word on it.

I don't have any of this crap to deal with in Georgia - and I think I understand Connecticut's laws - of course Malloy might pass some more "emergency legislation" after this latest tragedy.

So, just recently came across this write up:
2A Armament rolls out AR 22LR Conversion Bolt Carrier
Seems should be decently quality since it's from Rainier Arms ?
Is it better to buy something like this or a MP15-22 for a hundred bucks more ?

Had the same quandary and got a CMMG .22 conversion as a Black Friday special for just $135, so easy decision.
It has been flawless through hundreds of rounds.
If just a hundred difference in cost, buy another rifle, or if safe space is at a premium, conversion kit. Don't forget, a new rifle want's a new optic too!

Back
Top Bottom