• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm A Total Geek

Garys

NES Member
Here I am sitting in the living room of my hotel room in Hawaii watching the 1939 movie "Gunga Din". During one of the battle scenes I look at the rifles and notice that they are using some sort of bolt action rifle, looks like a Mauser action. Not an Enfield bolt action, and certainly not the correct rifle for the time period which would be a Martini-Henry lever action single shot.

Yeah, I'm a geek.

What are you doing watching movies - the weather has got to be too great in Hawaii to be inside!! [grin]

Yes, but it's also 11:30 at night and I've been up since 8:00AM local time. Still, after my post I did go out on the Lanai and smoke a cigar.

We fly back tomorrow. Leave Honolulu at 8:00 PM and head to Denver. Get there at 7:00 AM Denver time. Then an hour or so layover and on to Boston. We'll get back at 2:00 PM Boston time. It took almost three days for my internal clock to adjust to Hawaii time, I don't know how long it will take going back. Then Monday I fly to Miami for three days. My brain is going to be totally screwed! [smile]

One thing that screws with my brain is that there is no time delay for TV shows here in Hawaii. Shows that you're seeing at 3:00 AM on the east coast, we are seeing at 9:00 PM here. So, I see the all night infomercials on cable during what would normally be prime time.

Interestingly, the weather is supposed to be rainy in Hawaii this weekend. We had great weather for our trip, even when it rained, it only did so for a few minutes and then it cleared up.

I imagine the vacation has been great there, Garys - been a long time since I have been, but the weather was almost always great but given a heavy rainy season or so...lived there for 5 years and just loved it!!

In the same vein, a couple of months ago I wound up watching a rerun of Hogan's Heros. Damned if Sgt. Schultz wasn't carrying a Krag-Jorgensen instead of a K98 or Gew98M. I guess a authenticity didn't count as much back then.

MS

In the same vein, a couple of months ago I wound up watching a rerun of Hogan's Heros. Damned if Sgt. Schultz wasn't carrying a Krag-Jorgensen instead of a K98 or Gew98M. I guess a authenticity didn't count as much back then.

MS

And a lot of the SS guards in the first two seasons carried Thompsons.

& all the MP40 carrying soldiers in those old movies always had Kar98 ammo pouches on their belts.

In Kelly's Heroes towards the end they send the sniper up into the church bell tower but, he doesn't have a Springfield 03 has has a Mosin Nagant 91/30.
KHMosinNagantM91-30-6.jpg

At least in Kelly's Heroes they made a decent attempt at a Tiger I and didn't try to pass off M-47 Patton tanks as German Armour like they did in "Battle of the Bulge", Worse yet, the allied tanks were M-24 Chaffee Tanks, and they repeatedly refer to them as Shermans. [rolleyes]

075.jpg

When you are a geek it can really spoil a movie.

Last edited:
I imagine the vacation has been great there, Garys - been a long time since I have been, but the weather was almost always great but given a heavy rainy season or so...lived there for 5 years and just loved it!!

Dragging my own thread off topic... yes, the place was lovely. At least Waikiki and all of Maui. Honolulu itself is just like most other cities, only with better weather.

OTOH, right after I got back from Hawaii, I had to go to Miami on business. Tough life, I know. We were staying on Ocean Street in South Beach, prime vacation area in Miami. The weather was more humid, the buildings were seedy, the beach sand felt like crushed stone compared to the sand on the beaches of Hawaii an the water was no where near as clear or clean.

Once you've been to Hawaii, you're spoiled for anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom