I'm a MA resident: Questions about used rifle purchase...

A few questions on purchase of a used rifle in MA. I'm a MA resident with a Class A LTC. I have purchased handguns, but no rifles yet. Nowe, however, I'm looking to purchase a used Anschutz 54 22LR target rifle to begin target shooting. I know I could buy at a MA dealer, but this rifle is somewhat hard to find and I'd like to expand my search options in order to get a good one. So here are my questions:

1. Can I buy a used rifle from an online, out of state dealer and if so, would it have to go through a local MA dealer?

2. Can I drive to NH, VT or MA and buy one from a dealer there and just bring it back to MA?

3. Can I buy one from a private individual in another state, and if so would it have to go through a local MA dealer?

4. Anybody know any dealers in the Boston area who would carry such a rifle?

Thanks,
Mark

I don't know the answer to #1 off the top of my head, but if nobody else gives you an informed answer, I'll look it up and get back. Ditto with #4, though I'd check with Carl at Four Seasons Guns and/or Greg at A&G Guns. If they don't have what you want in stock, they'd be happy to order one for you.

The answer to #2 is yes. You can legally purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer and bring it back to Massachusetts, with two caveats. First, make sure that it isn't a post-ban assault weapon under the silly Massachusetts AWB. (That's not a problem with the Anschutz to which you refer.) Second, file an FA-10 form for registration as soon as you get back with the rifle. You can get a copy of the form from your local police.

The answer to #3 is no. You can only purchase rifles and shotguns out-of-state from a federally licensed dealer.

Ken

Answer to number 1 is yes. You can buy a rifle from a dealer or non-dealer from out of state and have it shipped tp an 01FFL holder here who will then tranfer it to you. Usually for a nominal fee of between $20-$30. What happens is, the seller will request an original signed copy of your transfering license holders license.

You can buy long guns (rifles & shotguns) from an FFL dealer out-of-state without having to go through an FFL dealer in your home state, unless there's an explicit prohibition in the state laws of either state.

You can buy long guns or handguns from anybody, FFL holder or not, out-of-state if you book them through an FFL dealer in your home state.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom