• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Illinois crazy law

Maxrobot

NES Member
The Illinois House on Friday (Jan. 6) cleared a measure that would immediately ban the sale of assault weapons in the state and prevent sales of large-capacity magazines that hold more than 12 rounds. It must still clear the Illinois Senate. But other Republicans questioned whether the measure will pass constitutional muster and said it will criminalize lawful gun owners. Those who already own assault weapons would be able to legally keep their firearms by registering them with the Illinois State Police within 300 days of the law taking effect. The goal of the legislation is to stem future sales. Sponsors added language that would exempt active-duty law enforcement and retirees who have served in law enforcement for over 10 years from the firearm purchase restrictions. Retired officers will not be exempt from the ban on high-capacity magazines.

Those who already own assault weapons would be able to legally keep their firearms by registering them with the Illinois State Police within 300 days of the law taking effect
sticker_2122-512x512.png

The Illinois House on Friday (Jan. 6) cleared a measure that would immediately ban the sale of assault weapons in the state and prevent sales of large-capacity magazines that hold more than 12 rounds. It must still clear the Illinois Senate. But other Republicans questioned whether the measure will pass constitutional muster and said it will criminalize lawful gun owners. Those who already own assault weapons would be able to legally keep their firearms by registering them with the Illinois State Police within 300 days of the law taking effect. The goal of the legislation is to stem future sales. Sponsors added language that would exempt active-duty law enforcement and retirees who have served in law enforcement for over 10 years from the firearm purchase restrictions. Retired officers will not be exempt from the ban on high-capacity magazines.
Who cares if it's constitutional or not, it will help prevent crime, right?

Who the hell came up with a 12 round mag limit?
It’s less than 15 and more than 10 but closer to 10 than 15, so my guess is politicians on both sides bent over but we know who bent over the most. Or, it was Common Cote Math that solve the problem, which wasn’t really a problem to begin with. Sort of like what Common Core did for math.

Hey Everyone ... IL subject resident here ... the foul turd with the Orwellian name of Protect IL Communities Act (or similar) is set to pass the IL state senate, probably tomorrow (Sun 1/08/2023). When this happens, IL Gov Fatboi Putzker will sign the measure. Furthermore, it will lose on veto as the Dems have veto-proof majorities in both chambers of the state house. I expect ISRA (the IL analog to GOAL) and others will sue in federal court.

I have no idea where the "modify your mags to only hold 12 rounds" came from .. perhaps inspired by something from Bloomberg after his 7-round limit failed in NY, but that's just a guess. IL now joins the ranks of MA, NJ, MD, CA, WA, OR, VT, NY etc., and the gang violence will continue, as well the mass shootings.
The progs in Springfield seem to have forgotten the kids who shot up Columbine High in Aurora CO back in the 90's only had access to 10-round mags and pump shotguns.

Gah ... I need a drink.

Last edited:
Update - Tue morning, Jan 10, approx 6.15am central
Bill has passed the IL senate and is now back to the IL house. As a very similar version has already passed the house, this version is pretty much guaranteed to pass. When it gets to Gov. Pritzker's Putzker's desk, he'll sign the foul turd. The bill goes into immediate effect upon his signature.
Opponents such as IL State Rifle Association (www.isra.org) and IL trade group which represents FFLs are already gearing up for a fight in Federal court.

Sunday night Jan 8 '23 (6.45pm Central Time)
Now the IL legislature is talking about 10-round limit for rifle mags and 15-round for pistol. And now the Foul Turd has a new bill number ... HB5471, Amendment 1.

Last edited:
“All of you that are thinking about voting for this today, you should resign,” state Sen. Neil Anderson, R-Moline said. “This is a blatant disregard for the United States Constitution.” Sen. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet, said the state should focus on enforcing the laws that already exist, instead of creating new ones.
“We’re going to make felons out of taxpayers. Why don’t we go after the bad guys, put hem being bars and actually keep them there?” Rose said. “Put the bad guys behind the bars, not the taxpayers, not the citizens.”

"“After continued negotiations between the leaders, stakeholders and advocates, we have reached a deal on one of the strongest assault weapons bans in the country,” the statement said. “Gun violence is an epidemic that is plaguing every corner of this state and the people of Illinois are demanding substantive action. With this legislation we are delivering on the promises Democrats have made and, together, we are making Illinois’ gun laws a model for the nation.”
Harmon said there were several changes made since senators held a subject matter hearing on the bill on Monday morning, including asking the Illinois State Police by administrative rule to provide further guidance to make sure hunters are not impeded. Private security contractors would also be offered exemptions regarding their firearms and magazines.
Language on high-capacity magazines was also changed, with 10 rounds allowed for long guns and 15 for handguns. The list of assault weapons was also updated.
Other changes including allowing the Illinois State Police to add guns to the list of banned assault weapons over time.

Update ... Tue 1/10/23, approx 5.40pm central time ...

The ban bill has now passed both houses of the IL General Assembly. Gov. Fatboi toilet yanker putzker Pritzker has vowed to sign the bill the moment it hits his desk. And the bill is written so that the ban has immediate effect upon signing.

Update ... Tue 1/10/23, approx 5.40pm central time ...

The ban bill has now passed both houses of the IL General Assembly. Gov. Fatboi toilet yanker putzker Pritzker has vowed to sign the bill the moment it hits his desk. And the bill is written so that the ban has immediate effect upon signing.
As expected, the bill has been signed and takes immediate effect. Essentially all centerfire long guns which also take a detachable magazine are banned from sale. Rifle mags are now limited to 10 rounds, pistol mags to 15 rounds. Those magazines in excess of the limits may be kept as-is (how freakin' generous of them). All currently owned but now banned "assault weapons" must be registered with the IL State Police no later than Jan 1 2024. I'm guessing this delay is to allow the ISP time to figure out how they want to operate the registration. The ISP can charge up to $25 per registration.
All private firearms sales after July 1 2023 must go through an FFL. The FFL must keep records of the transaction for 20 years.
There's also some "red flag" stuff too, but I haven't looked into those provisions

As I stated above, the IL State Rifle Association (isra.org) and the trade group which represents IL FFLs have both vowed to sue in federal court.

As expected, the bill has been signed and takes immediate effect. Essentially all centerfire long guns which also take a detachable magazine are banned from sale. Rifle mags are now limited to 10 rounds, pistol mags to 15 rounds. Those magazines in excess of the limits may be kept as-is (how freakin' generous of them). All currently owned but now banned "assault weapons" must be registered with the IL State Police no later than Jan 1 2024. I'm guessing this delay is to allow the ISP time to figure out how they want to operate the registration. The ISP can charge up to $25 per registration.
All private firearms sales after July 1 2023 must go through an FFL. The FFL must keep records of the transaction for 20 years.
There's also some "red flag" stuff too, but I haven't looked into those provisions

As I stated above, the IL State Rifle Association (isra.org) and the trade group which represents IL FFLs have both vowed to sue in federal court.
This is how they work. They intentionally pass their unconstitutional 'laws' then wait for the law suits. No law is valid that goes against the COTUS. The people must start ignoring these illegal laws and fight back when the tyrants come to try and enforce them.

Or, we can just sit back like we have always done and comply! I'm not sure how much more of this the nation can stand before it splits at the seams

I don’t believe the courts will be kind to this legislation.
They don't care. As long as the fight is in the courts their laws still stand. They can do this over and over again because there are no repercussions. As each 'law' is stuck down as unconstitutional they make new ones to replace it and the cycle continues.

The people seem fine with it tho as they keep 'electing' the same people over and over again who appoint the same kind of people to positions of power for the same reasons (skin color, diversity, inclusion, blah blah)

They don't care. As long as the fight is in the courts their laws still stand. They can do this over and over again because there are no repercussions. As each 'law' is stuck down as unconstitutional they make new ones to replace it and the cycle continues.

The people seem fine with it tho as they keep 'electing' the same people over and over again who appoint the same kind of people to positions of power for the same reasons (skin color, diversity, inclusion, blah blah)
This is why I always said, LAWS should instantly become "unenforceable" as soon as a lawsuit is filed.

The more laws they create, the greater the backlog of lawsuits and the longer they take to go into effect if a judge declares the law constitutional.

Some might say one person could constantly file lawsuits and block the law forever. I don't agree with that, let the lawsuit work through the courts until the court decides. If that means 5 years worth of appeals, then so be it. Don't create an unconstitutional law and that won't be such a big deal.

It is bullsh*t that is takes maybe a few days or weeks to pass an unconstitutional law and it takes hundreds of thousands and maybe years to fight it, in the meantime making thousands of law abiding people felons.

Additionally, for every law considered unconstitutional, the State should be required to pay 2X the cost of the lawsuit. This refunds the money spent and gives money for a future lawsuit.

That would be too good.

This is why I always said, LAWS should instantly become "unenforceable" as soon as a lawsuit is filed.

The more laws they create, the greater the backlog of lawsuits and the longer they take to go into effect if a judge declares the law constitutional.

Some might say one person could constantly file lawsuits and block the law forever. I don't agree with that, let the lawsuit work through the courts until the court decides. If that means 5 years worth of appeals, then so be it. Don't create an unconstitutional law and that won't be such a big deal.

It is bullsh*t that is takes maybe a few days or weeks to pass an unconstitutional law and it takes hundreds of thousands and maybe years to fight it, in the meantime making thousands of law abiding people felons.

Additionally, for every law considered unconstitutional, the State should be required to pay 2X the cost of the lawsuit. This refunds the money spent and gives money for a future lawsuit.

That would be too good.
When Jesse “The Mind” Ventura became Governor he said for every new Law that the Minnesota Leg wants to pass they have to revoke 10…He said this after seeing what was a library full of state laws on the books. Sounds pretty good to me

'The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The Constitution was written to specifically protect Americans from Tyranny enforced upon them by those entrusted with power. Jefferson understood this better than anyone of his era.

Once Judges in this Country decided the Constitution was subject to their own interpretation it's just been one slippery slope after another.

That would be too good.
It's all a big scam

'The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The Constitution was written to specifically protect Americans from Tyranny enforced upon them by those entrusted with power. Jefferson understood this better than anyone of his era.

Once Judges in this Country decided the Constitution was subject to their own interpretation it's just been one slippery slope after another.
We deserve what we continue to tolerate

It ain't over till it's over though. It's going to get much, much worse IMHO!
My brother and I have talked about this quite a bit. We knew this was coming, just not as fast as it has. We both understood that America will need to tear itself apart before it can be saved. And even then it may not be saved. We are both saddened that we will live through our old age with the Leftists idiots running roughshod through this country. Our "golden" years will be greatly harmed by the damage these Leftists are causing. It sucks.

It may be worthwhile for people to start planting contraband mags on lefties in ban states and call the rat line. Maybe then after going through the ringer they understand how stupid the law is. Especially after you explain to the new felon that "well if this little stick of metal only held 10 rounds, and not 12, you wouldn't have had your life ruined". I also like to use this one: "Imagine in very high and unpleasantly accurate detail, you are eating in a restaurant. There is an armed robbery that quickly occurs and goes south. You are seated next to a party of 10. Each member is asked to get up from the table, kneel, and they are shot in the forehead at close range while screaming and crying. You have to watch while a river of blood runs under your table. After the 10th victim falls limp to the ground, you think it has ended, but no.... in a matter of seconds the assailant loads another mag into his Glock and proceeds to the next table, and this horror repeats. I see you are becoming unsettled, but let's now instead imagine this was done with a pistol with a single 20-round mag. Please explain why you would prefer to actually live through the first scenario instead, and why it doesn't bother you that your neighbor was recently convicted for possession of the mag in the second scenario. He will now serve at least a year in jail. He was immediately terminated from his job after being denied bail. His wife's petition for divorce was successful. The family court slapped him with a $15,000/year child support judgement that he cannot pay, since he can no longer maintain a high-paying job due to his felon status - they don't care why he lost his job of 15 years as someone with his employment record has no valid excuse for being under-employed as they ignore his criminal record. And while we're on the topic, this is the same man who later broken into a home after his release, stole a pistol and two 10-round mags and went to rob the patrons of a high-end restaurant so that he could pay his child support and not end up in jail again on contempt orders."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom