illegally parked in handicap spot

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my wife, who had endured 5+ years of chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer and through all but the worst of it worked full time stopped at DD one morning and had someone walk in behind her shouting “who owns the BMW in the handicap spot?” My wife said it was her car and maybe she forgot to put her placard up.

This guy raked her over the coals because he couldn’t park in the handicap spot because of her. She was humiliated and left in a bad state. When she got to her car she found the placard hanging for on the rear view mirror and got pissed

She grabbed the placard and returned to the store. She shoved the placard in his face and told him it was displayed as required. Maybe he thought that only people with Ford Focus or equivalents got the placard but some people actually find that more expensive cars are easier to drive when to have a medical condition.

Now for all those that think BMW Driver’s are all a$$holes, F**k you!!! She didn’t buy the car until after she endured months of chemotherapy, surgery, etc. you are no better than a$$holes who park I handicap spots and WORSE the people who park in the reserved areas between handicap spots.
Some people just suck!

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow that sounds like someone taking the law into their own hands funny how some things are acceptable on NES and some not. Your friend could have just taken a picture of the violator instead of creating more problems.

Food for thought if you park in a handicap space and walk 4 miles through the mall does parking closer to the entrance help???? We have an awful lot of people today who pass for handicap but really don't need express parking I think there are many handicap who need the spaces but get screwed by those who don't.
Sometimes walking into a mall/grocery store is much easier than trying to push a heavy cart through a wintery, slushy parking lot on the way out. I do not look disabled at all, but my placard was essential after my surgery. Some handicaps are not visible, especially pulmonary and cardiac diseases.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Sometimes walking into a mall/grocery store is much easier than trying to push a heavy cart through a wintery, slushy parking lot on the way out. I do not look disabled at all, but my placard was essential after my surgery. Some handicaps are not visible, especially pulmonary and cardiac diseases.
Glad to hear you don't need it still.

I didn't elaborate as much as I should have in my previous post. HP spots are just as much about providing the ability to use mobility aids in getting in and out of a passenger vehicle or van. What a lot of people seem to forget is that access is to the side for many of the wheel chair lifts and don't think about the access one needs for the extra wide space.

As to how many spots and where they are placed, aside from access to curb cuts, should be something the property owner and building dept could work out. The drawback is the possibility for corruption of the decision makers. The introduction of the ADA in 1990 highlighted this problem with property owners, condo associations, mall owners and city.govs.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
My only issue with HP spots is the fact that no one enforces them, so these stores solution is just to stack a shitload of HP spots knowing that a percentage are being abused.
IIRC this is some civil engineering/zoning garbage, keyed off the size of the building or the max occupancy. That's why some places like BJs or Costco have like 12 of those spots, because some .gov bullshit says they have to.

Otherwise they'd never do it. It's a huge waste of real estate. Every time I go by one of those places like maybe 2-3 of those spots are ever used, tops. There's no way the building owner is doing that without having a gun pointed at them. [laugh]

-Mike

CCW

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this really pisses me off

They ought to jack the fine to $1000 IMO

I have a friend that has a handicapped war veteran brother ( read hero )
He saw a non handicapped person parked in the clearly marked, with signage & paint HP spot
He pulled his pick up truck behind it, blocking the vehicle in & called the police
The violator reacted badly, was ticketed for the violation and arrested for acting in a threatening manner
( I forgot the original official charge)

It was awesome !

Your friend illegally detained someone against their will...IE kidnapping.

I don't condone the actions of the person illegally parked but it is what it is.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you use handicapped bathroom stalls?

I do without giving it a second thought. I’d never park in a handicapped space though. That makes it sound like the possibility of getting a ticket is what keeps me out of the spaces, but I don’t think I’d park there even without a fine. I wonder how i subconsciously rationalize the stalls though. Am I an a**h***, or is it really not that big a deal?
The bathroom stalls are not RESERVED for handicapped. They are ACCESSIBLE to handicapped. YUGE difference.

Yosemite Sam

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

I don't condone the actions of the person illegally parked but it is what it is.
Yes sir he did
But he was crafty enough to use the guise of mechanical troubles, he’s not an idiot

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Respect... handicapped people’s special parking privileges? $1k for violations, where the real injury is someone with a disability having to travel a little farther? Meh.

Screw those who would do it, but if this is the state of our justice related outrages then life must not be too bad.
When you have to block the parking lot for a few minutes and risk getting run over by people trying to get by you as you unload someone in a wheelchair because some lazy douchebag decided to take the only space with room next to it to unload that person, there is a problem. If the person in the wheelchair is also the driver of the vehicle, there's no way to move it into another parking space after they've gotten out.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bathroom stalls are not RESERVED for handicapped. They are ACCESSIBLE to handicapped. YUGE difference.
If you ever really looked at how filthy these stalls are, you would never use them. Most have elevated seats, i.e. porous foam....most are used by morbidly obese people who can't really clean up....
Not sure if I'm duping myself, but one day at work (years ago in medical building), a woman in a wheelchair soiled herself because the big stall was in use by some young chippy lingering on her cell phone.......humility at it's worst.
I used my so called lunch break to help her and her aid get her gtg. Yes, the handicap stalls are not reserved, but use the regular stall if it's open.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
IIRC this is some civil engineering/zoning garbage, keyed off the size of the building or the max occupancy. That's why some places like BJs or Costco have like 12 of those spots, because some .gov bullshit says they have to.

Otherwise they'd never do it. It's a huge waste of real estate. Every time I go by one of those places like maybe 2-3 of those spots are ever used, tops. There's no way the building owner is doing that without having a gun pointed at them. [laugh]

-Mike
My service center in in a strip building with 6 units. Each unit has a single handicap spot directly outside the door. Thankfully, it's only a single, because in the 12 years I've been there, the only times it's ever been used is by us using it to offload things from the car quickly.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As to how many spots and where they are placed, aside from access to curb cuts, should be something the property owner and building dept could work out. The drawback is the possibility for corruption of the decision makers. The introduction of the ADA in 1990 highlighted this problem with property owners, condo associations, mall owners and city.govs.
i was stuck in a wheelchair for a month when i busted my foot in a number of places. and could not put any weight on the foot until the bones knit properly. I was quite surprised, even here in MA, how hard it is to get around using a wheel chair. There were some ramps where i had to hang on for dear life to the rail and pull myself up with all my might! And this was back in the day when i was working out at the gym 3 times a week, so i had pretty strong arms!

a slight bump in the sidewalk would stop me dead. My own kitchen...i could barely get the wheelchair around since i did not leave quite enough space at the corners. And my shower....it had a 4" tall curb....that made showering miserable....i had to get up out of the chair, balance on my crutches, and try to swing myself into the shower over the curb.

fun times! If i were permanently disabled, I would be pretty fricken pissed off if i was out and about, tried to park at a DD's handicap space, and some ahole was there without a sticker/license plate showing handicap!

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Had a friend in High school that was totally in a wheel chair. When he shifted to a seat, I took over the chair. I learned about being in a wheel chair and what the restrictions are.

When my kids were around 7 and 8, I made them blind for a day. Flat dough balls over their eyes, then sleeping blinders. They spent the day learning what blind people have to deal with constantly. Both were boys and the first lesson was to SIT on the toilet. They actually enjoyed it. 6 hours of well learned lessons.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you ever really looked at how filthy these stalls are, you would never use them. Most have elevated seats, i.e. porous foam....most are used by morbidly obese people who can't really clean up....
Not sure if I'm duping myself, but one day at work (years ago in medical building), a woman in a wheelchair soiled herself because the big stall was in use by some young chippy lingering on her cell phone.......humility at it's worst.
I used my so called lunch break to help her and her aid get her gtg. Yes, the handicap stalls are not reserved, but use the regular stall if it's open.
I follow you, but I poop in two places, unless it's an emergency (home and work). Inexplicably, there ARE no handicapped (at least to the degree they can't use the tiny stalls) where I work.

Beyond that, I suggest you go in the men's room sometime (don't worry - it's legal now). Bring some disinfecting wipes. Men are PIGS. Which stall makes no difference. Also, note which ones wash their hands on the way out and remember that the next time you shake someone's hand.

What bothers me is, I'm sitting there minding my own "business" and someone comes along to use it. They PEEP through the crack to see if it's occupied. Why would they do that? It's effing creepy.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not kidnapping. Guy was free to walk away

... I poop in two places, unless it's an emergency (home and work). ... What bothers me is, I'm sitting there minding my own "business" and someone comes along to use it. They PEEP through the crack to see if it's occupied. Why would they do that? It's effing creepy.
I blame your wide stance.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don’t understand why anyone would do it given the price of the ticket. Just frigging walk you lazy shit.
On my way to work, I pass a WoW. Any idea how many people kill themselves to get a parking spot close to the gym??? How dumb is that. And it isn’t like they are in a hurry based on how slow they cross the street.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Cruel & excessive for some child that is in a wheelchair & they can’t get in or out of a HP van because some asshat parked in the striped line portion

If was your your child with those hardships, would you be as nonchalant about it ?
We all carry, I’m not inclined to get into a situation where my rights will be revoked because I acted as dumb as the offender
Not necessarily something I would want to get roiled up about and probably make the child uneasy

But that’s just me
The striped area is the Handicap Access Aisle. Even with a HP plate/placard, you're not allowed to park in it. It's to allow people to get in out, and not just from vans. I had a lady and her mother parked in one last week, so I wrote them the $100 ticket. Mother says "But, I'm handicapped." and I explained that they still can't park there (no plate or placard, so I didn't just do a warning). Daughter is so mad she backs out, and then pulls into the adjacent Handicap spot. Gets out, and storms into pick up her fast food. I wrote the $250 ticket for that.

No excuse but what was the offenders reason?

"bbbut b b but I was... _____?"
But I was only there for a minute. But there was no where else to park (walk down the street, there are 4 open regular spots there). But I was literally only here for 2 seconds. The best: I got out of work and had to get to my drug test by 7:00pm!

Of course, in Manchester, you can give a BS reason to the Parking Manager to get out of it. "I was only stopped there waiting for a spot to open up ahead. A patrol car came by and the officer said it was OK to wait here for a few minutes until it opened" (pure BS but she bought it). If that doesn't work, take it to court. Even with photos of the driver sitting in their car, parked between the two signs with arrows pointing in, the Prosecutor will let you plead it down to a $100 fine.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The striped area is the Handicap Access Aisle. Even with a HP plate/placard, you're not allowed to park in it. It's to allow people to get in out, and not just from vans. I had a lady and her mother parked in one last week, so I wrote them the $100 ticket. Mother says "But, I'm handicapped." and I explained that they still can't park there (no plate or placard, so I didn't just do a warning). Daughter is so mad she backs out, and then pulls into the adjacent Handicap spot. Gets out, and storms into pick up her fast food. I wrote the $250 ticket for that.
Thank you.

Bob

Top Bottom