1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

illegally parked in handicap spot

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yosemite Sam, Aug 25, 2019.

1. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

FIFY. ;)

2. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

Some people just suck!

3. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

Sometimes walking into a mall/grocery store is much easier than trying to push a heavy cart through a wintery, slushy parking lot on the way out. I do not look disabled at all, but my placard was essential after my surgery. Some handicaps are not visible, especially pulmonary and cardiac diseases.

4. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Glad to hear you don't need it still.

I didn't elaborate as much as I should have in my previous post. HP spots are just as much about providing the ability to use mobility aids in getting in and out of a passenger vehicle or van. What a lot of people seem to forget is that access is to the side for many of the wheel chair lifts and don't think about the access one needs for the extra wide space.

As to how many spots and where they are placed, aside from access to curb cuts, should be something the property owner and building dept could work out. The drawback is the possibility for corruption of the decision makers. The introduction of the ADA in 1990 highlighted this problem with property owners, condo associations, mall owners and city.govs.

5. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

IIRC this is some civil engineering/zoning garbage, keyed off the size of the building or the max occupancy. That's why some places like BJs or Costco have like 12 of those spots, because some .gov bullshit says they have to.

Otherwise they'd never do it. It's a huge waste of real estate. Every time I go by one of those places like maybe 2-3 of those spots are ever used, tops. There's no way the building owner is doing that without having a gun pointed at them. [laugh]

-Mike

6. CCW

CCW

Your friend illegally detained someone against their will...IE kidnapping.

I don't condone the actions of the person illegally parked but it is what it is.

7. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

The bathroom stalls are not RESERVED for handicapped. They are ACCESSIBLE to handicapped. YUGE difference.

8. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

Yes sir he did
    But he was crafty enough to use the guise of mechanical troubles, he’s not an idiot

9. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    This is not kidnapping. Guy was free to walk away

Jason Flare and Yosemite Sam like this.
  10. Pete85

Pete85

When you have to block the parking lot for a few minutes and risk getting run over by people trying to get by you as you unload someone in a wheelchair because some lazy douchebag decided to take the only space with room next to it to unload that person, there is a problem. If the person in the wheelchair is also the driver of the vehicle, there's no way to move it into another parking space after they've gotten out.

11. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

If you ever really looked at how filthy these stalls are, you would never use them. Most have elevated seats, i.e. porous foam....most are used by morbidly obese people who can't really clean up....
    Not sure if I'm duping myself, but one day at work (years ago in medical building), a woman in a wheelchair soiled herself because the big stall was in use by some young chippy lingering on her cell phone.......humility at it's worst.
    I used my so called lunch break to help her and her aid get her gtg. Yes, the handicap stalls are not reserved, but use the regular stall if it's open.

namedpipes likes this.
  12. new guy

new guy NES Member

13. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

My service center in in a strip building with 6 units. Each unit has a single handicap spot directly outside the door. Thankfully, it's only a single, because in the 12 years I've been there, the only times it's ever been used is by us using it to offload things from the car quickly.

14. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i was stuck in a wheelchair for a month when i busted my foot in a number of places. and could not put any weight on the foot until the bones knit properly. I was quite surprised, even here in MA, how hard it is to get around using a wheel chair. There were some ramps where i had to hang on for dear life to the rail and pull myself up with all my might! And this was back in the day when i was working out at the gym 3 times a week, so i had pretty strong arms!

a slight bump in the sidewalk would stop me dead. My own kitchen...i could barely get the wheelchair around since i did not leave quite enough space at the corners. And my shower....it had a 4" tall curb....that made showering miserable....i had to get up out of the chair, balance on my crutches, and try to swing myself into the shower over the curb.

fun times! If i were permanently disabled, I would be pretty fricken pissed off if i was out and about, tried to park at a DD's handicap space, and some ahole was there without a sticker/license plate showing handicap!

15. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Had a friend in High school that was totally in a wheel chair. When he shifted to a seat, I took over the chair. I learned about being in a wheel chair and what the restrictions are.

When my kids were around 7 and 8, I made them blind for a day. Flat dough balls over their eyes, then sleeping blinders. They spent the day learning what blind people have to deal with constantly. Both were boys and the first lesson was to SIT on the toilet. They actually enjoyed it. 6 hours of well learned lessons.

16. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

it made them the men they are today....

17. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I follow you, but I poop in two places, unless it's an emergency (home and work). Inexplicably, there ARE no handicapped (at least to the degree they can't use the tiny stalls) where I work.

Beyond that, I suggest you go in the men's room sometime (don't worry - it's legal now). Bring some disinfecting wipes. Men are PIGS. Which stall makes no difference. Also, note which ones wash their hands on the way out and remember that the next time you shake someone's hand.

What bothers me is, I'm sitting there minding my own "business" and someone comes along to use it. They PEEP through the crack to see if it's occupied. Why would they do that? It's effing creepy.