1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

illegally parked in handicap spot

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yosemite Sam, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

You were forewarned LOL

2. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

damn bud, easy. you get worked up more on this than us placard users. i stopped worrying about this shit years ago. a fact of life is some able people don't think it's a big deal. one day a few of them will need that hp spot for real and maybe it will make them think about what they did.

every time i use the hp spot i wish i could walk normally. but on the lighter side, you don't have to worry about door dings cause the spots are so wide. [laugh]

cthorne98 likes this.
  3. rommel

rommel NES Member

Not a child, but a father who is 100% paralyzed on his left side due to a stroke. It is aggrevating for sure. I just do not see the need for .gov to get rich over a parkng spot.
    My experience is that it is rare that all the handicapped spaces are taken. If they are it is usually during high demand times where all the other spaces are also taken. My opinion is that it is ok if handicapped people have to wait a reasonable time just like the rest of us to get a spot.

4. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

i came out of stop and shop one day and a cop was at the hp spots. i knew what he was doing, checking the placards in the window. pretty sure someone called cause i never, ever seen anyone checking placards. i told him if he really wanted to be a crime dog, roll in there at 7 for the coffee rush, he could bag 3 or 4 in one stop. only time you see a cop there is to get a doughnut and take off.

5. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

I wish you could too, brother

6. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

yeah, i don't have a problem either if they're full, it happens.

7. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

No excuse but what was the offenders reason?

"bbbut b b but I was... _____?"

8. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

I took shit from some people in that thread because I basically said "if the lot was empty you couldve parked anywhere, why park there?"

9. Dench

Dench

I also like making up random numbers. Which is why I support 7 round magazines.

ProGun and drgrant like this.
  10. new guy

new guy NES Member

A couple of devil’s advocate-esque questions.

Say someone is legitimately handicapped - at least to the standard required by the state for a placard - but they don’t have a placard. Maybe they don’t trust the man to know that much about them. Maybe they don’t want special treatment. Maybe just because they couldn’t be bothered, but in any case they’re suffering today so they went for it. Are they still bastards who deserve to get fined a grand? Because they didn’t get their special papers from the state?

Handicapped bathroom stalls - fair game for the rest of us?

drgrant likes this.
  11. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

nope
    You’re right
    Those spots are up for grabs
    First come. First served

Sorry, I guess I didn’t think it through

12. Christian

Christian

Rt.3, 1/2 way between Boston and the Cape
    Lol, I've done the block'em in routine plenty of times as well.

cthorne98 and Yosemite Sam like this.
  13. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

You the MAN !
    I like your style

14. new guy

new guy NES Member

Do people ever just forget to hang the tag before going in? Seems risky getting in someone’s face about it.

Jason Flare likes this.
  15. new guy

new guy NES Member

Do you use handicapped bathroom stalls?

I do without giving it a second thought. I’d never park in a handicapped space though. That makes it sound like the possibility of getting a ticket is what keeps me out of the spaces, but I don’t think I’d park there even without a fine. I wonder how i subconsciously rationalize the stalls though. Am I an a**h***, or is it really not that big a deal?

16. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

I know you wouldn't park in an HP spot
    & I know it's not the ticket
    You are making a decision to respect others rights as you would want yours & your loved ones respected

If I could wait till a stall was free, I would
    But
    When you gotta go, you gotta go

new guy likes this.
  17. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

If it's unoccupied, it's your's...

atmay and drgrant like this.
  18. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

And I thought
    You couldn't write this shite

19. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

I remember something regarding that.....link to post?

20. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain

My only issue with HP spots is the fact that no one enforces them, so these stores solution is just to stack a shitload of HP spots knowing that a percentage are being abused.

21. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I've been told that the local "commission on disabilities" (I guess each town has one) gets all the fine money to run their programs.

My Father lost a leg to diabetes, so I'm rather sensitive about the abuse by those that aren't handicapped.

22. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

There is actually a building code and city/town bylaws that demand x HP spaces based on some factors of the building use and square footage (or something like that). I recall sitting thru planning board meetings when these issues were discussed plus zoning bylaws updated to meet the state codes.

Energizer, headednorth and new guy like this.
  23. dans

dans NES Member

So my wife, who had endured 5+ years of chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer and through all but the worst of it worked full time stopped at DD one morning and had someone walk in behind her shouting “who owns the BMW in the handicap spot?” My wife said it was her car and maybe she forgot to put her placard up.

This guy raked her over the coals because he couldn’t park in the handicap spot because of her. She was humiliated and left in a bad state. When she got to her car she found the placard hanging for on the rear view mirror and got pissed

She grabbed the placard and returned to the store. She shoved the placard in his face and told him it was displayed as required. Maybe he thought that only people with Ford Focus or equivalents got the placard but some people actually find that more expensive cars are easier to drive when to have a medical condition.

Now for all those that think BMW Driver’s are all a$$holes, F**k you!!! She didn’t buy the car until after she endured months of chemotherapy, surgery, etc. you are no better than a$$holes who park I handicap spots and WORSE the people who park in the reserved areas between handicap spots.

slap shot and Jason Flare like this.
  24. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

The guy was an asshat
    Your wife was awesome, strong

But this , IMO, really doesn’t have anything vehicle choices or cost of vehicles
    That’s a whole different thread we should have
    People that are negative that someone has more than them, or better than them

Don’t like your status in life, change it
    Try this;
    Get educated
    Work harder
    Look for opportunities
    Get luckier

pastera likes this.
  25. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname

There is a state park near my house which consists of a small pond and a bunch of hiking trails. There are four handicap parking spaces there.
    That always makes me chuckle. The only thing to do at this particular park is hike or jog or bike. Or if you just want to sit near the pond you still have to hike about a thousand yards from the parking lot through the woods to get to the pond. How does parking 10 or 15 feet closer to the trail entrance benefit the handicapped people?

Jason Flare, KBCraig and Sauer Grapes like this.
  26. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Are they spots for HP chair vans. It would be unusual to see HP spots away from a trailhead and curb cut access.
    [​IMG]

27. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

Little known fact, at state parks the parking/ admission fee is waived for cars displaying HP placard or plates.
    Earlier this year I had a very extensive spine reconstruction. I bring my dog to Hopkinton State Park often, as walking is good for my rehab. The Park Ranger at the gate noticed my back brace and asked if I had HP parking placard (I do have one issued before surgery) He explained the rules for all Mass State Parks. I admit I do use this benefit, but I never park in a HP space there.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Jason Flare and enbloc like this.
  28. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Something like a hundred years ago I was working through school as a security guard and pulled a midnight to 8 one Sunday morning at a chemical plant with a massive, empty parking lot with a couple of handicapped spots by the door.

So knowing there was no day shift tomorrow anyway I parked conveniently by the door.

Who shows up to work that Sunday morning but a one legged guy that (nicely) busted my chops.

And that was the first and last time I parked in one.

Jason Flare likes this.
  29. watchman

watchman

Wow that sounds like someone taking the law into their own hands funny how some things are acceptable on NES and some not. Your friend could have just taken a picture of the violator instead of creating more problems.

Food for thought if you park in a handicap space and walk 4 miles through the mall does parking closer to the entrance help???? We have an awful lot of people today who pass for handicap but really don't need express parking I think there are many handicap who need the spaces but get screwed by those who don't.

30. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

you defend it however you please
    Might I add
    His vehicle got towed too!