• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Illegal turkey hunter caught red handed.

whacko

NES Member
On Thursday, April 30, 2020, the Massachusetts Environmental Police was notified of an illegal turkey hunting activity in Westminster. The homeowner provided MEP with the hunter's license plate to his vehicle and advised that a bird had been shot with a crossbow and was still alive.

MEP Officers, along with Westminster Police Department, arrived and interviewed the homeowner. During the interview, it was determined that the suspect had previously been asked to leave the homeowners property. A check of the area found the shooter's hunting blind was within 120-feet of the home and 160-feet of the roadway, and located on posted property. Multiple bird feeders were found within 50-feet of the blind with the ground covered with bird seed creating a baited area that was being hunted. A check of the suspect's Hunting License showed he did not purchase a Turkey Permit until 10:39 AM, over three hours after he had shot the bird. Officers were able to locate the bird.

The suspect was interviewed a short time later, eventually admitting to hunting the area in question. The suspect was charged with the following:

1.) Hunting w/in 500' of a Dwelling in Use
2.) Hunting Turkey w/out a Turkey Permit
3.) Hunting Posted Property
4.) Hunting a Turkey over a Baited Area
5.) Unlawful Take of Turkey

The suspect’s crossbow and Turkey Tag were seized and the turkey was donated.

The Massachusetts Environmental Police would like to extend thanks to Westminster Police Department for their assistance and to the reporting party. The detail of activities witnessed led to the rapid determination of violator and subsequent charges being issued.

If violations are witnessed please contact MEP's 24 hour Dispatch at 1-800-632-8075 or report a violation online at Report a Violation Online Form.

So no charge for the crossbow? I thought it was illegal to use a crossbow too unless you had a cripple card for it.

A friend of mine used to call it that.... he always bitched about how stupid the law was and he said that he was just pissed off at it, despite the fact that he still could have qualified ( one of his shoulders was f***ed up) to get the "cripple card" he shouldn't be forced to get it at all just to use a crossbow....

A friend of mine used to call it that.... he always bitched about how stupid the law was and he said that he was just pissed off at it, despite the fact that he still could have qualified ( one of his shoulders was f***ed up) to get the "cripple card" he shouldn't be forced to get it at all just to use a crossbow....

Agree it should be a choice.

I have one and that’s how I often refer to it and my handicapped placard for the truck. [smile]

Agreed. It shouldn’t be a forced decision.

As it stands now it must be a PERMANENT injury and once you get it you can’t go back to a regular bow. That leaves hunters with temporary injuries sitting on the couch as they can’t get the permit legally.

What a brazen a$$.

For sure.
Setting up multiple bird feeders and a blind wishing 120’ from the house And 160’ of the road. How the hell did he not expect to get caught?

He could also lose his FID/LTC if the CLEO decides he is no longer suitable.

Dummer than a bag of hammers he is.

Bob

Last edited:
I have one and that’s how I often refer to it and my handicapped placard for the truck. [smile]

Agreed. It shouldn’t be a forced decision.

As it stands now it must be a PERMANENT injury and once you get it you can’t go back to a regular bow. That leaves hunters with temporary injuries sitting on the couch as they can’t get the permit legally.

For sure.
Setting up multiple bird feeders and a blind wishing 120’ from the house And 160’ of the road. How the hell did he not expect to get caught?

He could also lose his FID/LTC if the CLEO decides he is no longer suitable.

Dummer than a bag of hammers he is.

Bob
Poaching 101, don’t do it near people. FAIL!!
To me, the chances that the homeowner and the poacher had a falling out and the homeowner ratted the poacher out are pretty high.

Who would set all that up 120’ from a house with a guy inside that is going to turn you in.

To me, the chances that the homeowner and the poacher had a falling out and the homeowner ratted the poacher out are pretty high.

Who would set all that up 120’ from a house with a guy inside that is going to turn you in.
You may be on to something here. Also explains buying a license after said jacking took place.

How do you accurately measure distance from a house/road ?
Today I use onx hunt app.

Without that.....

1. a range finder......
2. Experience...... if you've been hunting long enough you just know how to estimate range. In the army infantry we did range estimation training every now and then.

The responsibility for ensuring you are far enough from dwellings or roads is completely on the hunter. Period. If someone can't estimate range they should stay home.

Last edited:
Mass is trying to get in on the Maine and New Hampshire action of 'North Woods Law'. They are going to call it 'North, but not that far North, North Woods Law and sometimes a little west'.

I thought the 500ft was only for firearms, not bow
"(g) No person while hunting shall release an arrow from a bow upon or within 150 feet of any State or hard surfaced highway or within 500 feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof. "

Back
Top Bottom