1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Illegal to rent excavator without MA state license

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GomerPile, Apr 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchman

watchman

You need to re-read my post I was advocating for the license holders not the wannabe poster parasites.

2. 71montess

71montess

It's just another example of gov regulations , over-regulation. See it every day in many ways. Lawyers love it, Democrats love it, the homeowner gets screwed, but the average homeowner in this state votes for this crap. So screw it.

3. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Seems Ive struck a nerve with you. Dont get all butthurt because I have a different view or opinion of something.

4. watchman

watchman

Not really the only one butt hurt would be the one trying to turn it around with a retort. Keep trying to make yourself look smart because it isn't working.

5. Narrowback

Narrowback

Not Union Meddling. Not Overbearing State regulation. Just simple laws that keep f**king idiots that think they know everything from digging up Sh*t and cutting services to people who do the right thing and pay PROFESSIONALS (Union or Not)to do a job that they are qualified to do. You don't know sh*t so stop being a cheap bastard and pay a qualified person.

6. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

What if DigSafe marks everything and shows there is nothing near the area to be dug? Why should someone be prohibited from renting a backhoe and doing their own digging?

There are many times you really do need a qualified plumber, electrician, backhoer, etc. But, there are also many people who can do some of these jobs themselves at considerable savings of cost and aggravation. In fact, I augered one of my toilets at 0630 last week and saved a couple of hundred over calling a qualified professional and got domestic tranquility restored sooner as a bonus.

7. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

Really I have seen way more "professionals" dig up stuff they were not suppose to then the guy who rents one to clear his backyard.
    I suppose you like Gun Laws too.

8. RHJJ

RHJJ

I have had my 2A and 1C for 20 years and realize that only 4 or 5 states have hoisting licenses, so having a license does not make you qualified.

9. ma_farmer

ma_farmer NES Member

Glad to hear about the farm exemption. The kamatsu pc120 is alittle bit more that 8,000 pounds ( a bit more than 3 times it) and my jcb telehandler will lift 5,000 17 feet high. And I don't have no stinking license.

10. stinger35

stinger35 NES Member

Mass sucks, I don't think you even need a hoisting license in N.H.

I'm surprised with all your extensive experience with equipment, you don't know anyone in the business that will let you borrow something.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  11. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

WTF.
    You're in NH right?

I rented an 8k excavator from the local Taylor Rental a few years back without any issues.

The Home Depot over in Tewksbury was renting out a really small Kubota excavator and BX tractor with the backhoe up until at least last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I've been a criminal for like 13 years now I've been digging the hell out of my property with my Kubota tractor and backhoe.

12. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

[rofl]

The FEL on my tractor will lift 1k. I do it all the time. I've pulled rocks out of the ground with the backhoe and had to pull them out of the hole that easily weighed over 1k.

Geezus Kryste I hate this goddam state.

13. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Congratulations you just made the gun banners argument " leave it to the professionals - they're the only ones in this room with the training to handle this firearm".

14. BigMoby

BigMoby

I rented one last year. Had to take a test at the counter(what a joke..if I wasnt sure dude gave me the answer) and cost was $50 if I remember and the license was good for 3? Or 6? Month cant remember.

15. tk421991

tk421991

Whenever we have a contractors/homeowners thread on here, it boils down to that.

16. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

17. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Geezus Kryste.

I've had a lifetime of listening to shit like this and ignoring it every goddam time.

When I put a second floor on my house I had multiple people tell me to my face " you can't do that" . Well I did it a-holes. I drew up the plans. I applied for the permit. I sourced and spec'ed the materials - and I did all the damn work MYSELF. Then I bought a tractor - excavated the foundation hole for my barn, tracked down foundation contractors and finally found one that seemed to know what the hell he was doing ( so much for "professionals" - most of these guys were idiots). Then I drew up the plans , sourced the materials, applied for the permit - and built the whole damn barn myself too. That included setting in place 1000 pound laminated beams - hauling the 24ft roof rafters up a ladder - and roofing the whole damn thing by myself too.

If I had to pay a "professional" to do every damn thing I needed or wanted done in my life I simply couldn't afford to have half of what I have - AND half of what I managed to get by going that route would be ****ed up anyway judging by the some of the work I've seen "professionals" leave behind.

1 person likes this.
  18. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

There's a lot of people out there who want to pick your pocket by whatever means possible.

1 person likes this.
  19. rjh200

rjh200

Actually that is not at all what I was saying. The person who owned the backhoe had the required licensing but had no clue how to read and interpret a plot plan to identify where the sewer line was. Because of that it ended up costing the homeowner more money.

Never did I say I have any issue with the homeowner doing the work themselves or did I say that only licensed professionals should be able to operate the equipment.

It was a simple statement that just because you feel you can do something yourself doesn't always mean you should. It also shows that just because you have a license doesn't mean you know what you are doing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

20. pastera

pastera

License or not, I found it cheaper to pay an experienced operator by the hour than rent.

Last job was spreading 70 yard of loam - guy was finished in half the time and wasn't much more per hour than a rental. However, I was a cash job done on his schedule to keep the price low.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

21. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

I am not being cheap...I have hundreds of hours of seat time running backhoe and loader. I live in the middle of the woods where there is zero chance of me hitting anything. If I was near shit I'm smart enough to get dig safe in....and not trust anything they marked because they are often wrong.

I've built my own house, done my own wiring and plumbing...I'm more qualified than most professionals. Who the **** do you think you are? Piss off!

22. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

You are correct it's probably cheaper to hire an operator. If you don't pay the rental fee you will never learn.

Think of it like flying lessons, most people don't buy a plane to learn flying.

23. deces

deces

They can rent excavators now wtf?!

24. dennism

dennism

I have a hoisting license for work. 98% certain the rental place can authorize you to operate. I can authorize unlicensed employees to operate.

Yes the state law is garbage, you should see the test. Quite literally one of the questions asked what is most dangerous out of 4 wildly dangerous things.

25. n1bsbri

n1bsbri NES Member

14 days, only renewable after 45 days.

26. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Says the guy who started all this by commenting on "inadequacies". **** right off, dumbass.

27. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

So many ASSumptions in your post, but one thing is for sure, you're about a c-hair from coming out of the closest as a full blown statist.

28. excavator13

excavator13

It is just about the "state" getting their cut. Worked dirt for 20+ years then all of a sudden needed a license to be safe. Then I needed a state mandated physical to make sure I was healthy enough. ( $75 dollars). I religiously go to my Dr. For routine physicals but the powers that be will not accept his opinion. It is all about the " Benjamin's" nothing else.

1 person likes this.
  29. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

And we're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.