1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Illegal satellites now?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by namedpipes, Dec 21, 2018.

1. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

FCC Fines Swarm Technologies $900,000 for Launching Illegal Satellites Into Orbit

So, what business is it of the FCC if a private company operates a spacecraft? They should have just Incorporated in some crap hole third world country and claimed asylum in orbit.

"The FCC said the unapproved launch and operation of the company’s SpaceBEEs—teeny, tiny experimental satellites—occurred a month after the agency denied its application for deployment."

Not sure how much it costs to build four satellites and launch them, but I'll bet the $900k is a slap on the wrist for their impertinence.

xjma99 likes this.
  2. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

oh man, it is a BIG deal to have stray unapproved satellites up there. When you build a satellite it a huge issue is what frequencies you use to talk back to earth, what the transmit antenna pattern is, and on and on. There can be long negotiations involved so you minimize RF interference between your bird and others.

If you ignore all this frequency coordination, you could wipe out hundreds of thousands of users on the ground as you "jam" their approved frequencies.

There is also the real issue that there are not that many physical "slots" for you to park a satellite in, and the satellites wobble around their assigned locations +/-, and could actually HIT one in an unapproved location. If you are not parked in geo synchronous orbit, but try to keep it above a certain spot on the earth, you end up flying a BIG figure eight pattern

Yeah, i would do more than a $900K fine.....It probably takes $900K just to do the proper engineering in the first place. I would make it more like $10 million

Fixxah, white feather, xjma99 and 3 others like this.
  3. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I get the limited real estate and bandwidth issues, but I have some control issues and when I go to launch MY spaceship I figure to NOTIFY whoever that I'm launching, not ask for permission.

AHM and xjma99 like this.
  4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

That is why I use Romulan cloaking device technology on mine

5. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

mr. spanz, I'm impressed [bow] fact or fiction i'm buying into it. they should put the title of "resident nes rocket scientist" under your avatar.

Fixxah and xjma99 like this.
  6. jpk

jpk

So the FCC has authority over the entire globe?

Just wondering who gave them that authority lol

KBCraig, xtry51 and xjma99 like this.
  7. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Probably the same government that says US citizens can't open a bank account in any other country in the world, and that we can't claim property of our own on the moon or Mars. Hey... if I can defend it, it's mine. Don't care what the US government thinks.

xtry51, jpk, BigTimber and 1 other person like this.
  8. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

What about satellites launched Pre-Healey ? Am I good to go with those if they have the or-ban date on them? Asking for a rocket scientist friend

Yazz, daddysuperfly, xtry51 and 2 others like this.
  9. Bankjob

Bankjob NES Member

Call the SpaceForce!

10. snax

snax NES Member

US alphabet agencies bring freedom and democracy everywhere. Even space.

11. jpk

jpk

12. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

No, frequency/orbit slot coordination is done thru an international agency. A number of treaties were signed from the 1970's on on how to coordinate. The ITU is pretty much the chief agency now....although the FCC plays a big role still

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  13. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I'll bet Tuvalu is not signatory to that and therefore they can launch all the rocketships and satellites they want!

xtry51 and jpk like this.
  14. jpk

jpk

Thats all very nice but I think its clear that the FCC has exceeded its statutory authority.......

xtry51 likes this.
  15. Greg

Greg

Today is a good day,I learned something new.

16. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Not if those satellites are blasting RF into america.... [rofl]

Company probably run by the same people that have been spraying those rental bikes in cities and towns everywhere without getting permission, they figure its
    cheaper to beg for forgiveness later, and they're probably right. The fines are probably in their business plan.

Guy 1: "Is this legal with the feds and such?"
    Guy 2: "No, but worst they'll do is hit us with a NAL/fines etc. If we did it the right way it might never happen at all and take 3 times as long to find out. "

-Mike

17. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Its not just satellites. Even here on the ground, you either have to:
    1) work in a very narrow band of frequencies called the ISM band, and have very low effective transmit power
    OR
    2) get your transmitter approved by the FCC (type approval) to work in a pre-approved "licensed band", and THEN get a commercial coordination office to approve your specific use at each location (Transmit power, Antenna gain, Antenna pointing direction, bandwidth used, Frequency channel(s) used, modulation type, and so on).

It is all really pretty tightly controlled. The FCC has vans bristling with antennas to catch people transmitting without a license, and the actually drive around all the time looking for law breakers!

A lot of infrastructure depends on these microwave frequencies being protected. For instance, many of the train safety signals and rail switch positions are still controlled by 2 GHz wireless links set up in the 1980's.

18. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Sounds like a really sweet cush .gov job. Who's kid do you have to be to get on the radio police?

mibro and xjma99 like this.
  19. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Lol, not sure if serious, they don't do any of that unless they get someone f***ing with a service (eg, like there was an idiot that was driving around with a GPS jammer in his truck so his employer couldn't track him, and made the mistake of parking it at an airport!!!) or public safety/aviation stuff.

-Mike

20. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I think they mainly do that to track down pirate radio stations, and they would have to have one in particular that they know exists and are trying to find.

Unless people are thinking of Britain, where they do drive around with antenna vans looking to see if they detect emissions that could be a TV in a house that didn't buy a license. But that's just nuts... those don't even broadcast.

21. deerdad

deerdad NES Member

Spanz...:eek: Who are you and what exactly do you do for a living?
    (lol)

Greg

The5thDentist likes this.
  22. jpk

jpk

So some douchebag or nation state starts blasting RF into the US......whats the FCC gonna do?

"Stop or I'll say Stop a second time"?

23. kevin9

kevin9

Here's the other side/rest of the story: Swarm Grows Constellation to Seven Satellites with Recent Launch. Yes this is a company announcement, but note that the FCC approved their more recent launch, and that they specifically contradict the FCC's alleged concern with their first launch:

24. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

How much does it cost to launch a satellite? I want one!

25. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

They are rather expensive. You may find it more cost effective to just hack someone else's satellite and take it over. Change the password once you're in so that they can't regain control.

26. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

You might be shocked just how easy that is. Or was as of maybe 5-10 years ago.

27. AHM

AHM NES Member

Central Mass. Spacemodeling Society, FTW.
    The dreaded Rear Admiral sees what you did there.
    [​IMG]

28. Darksideblues42

Darksideblues42 NES Life Member NES Member

Did the USSR get FCC permission for Sputnik?

jpk likes this.
  29. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

30. jefftk

jefftk

The article mentions the main gripe of the FCC was the size of the satellites

From a link in the article:

"In other words, the FCC feared that the tiny broadcasters would escape notice by routine radar surveillance, making them a potential danger in orbit. Swarm suggested adding special reflectors or using the satellites own GPS sensors, but in December 2017 the FCC gave the final word: You can’t launch these satellites."